Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Latest Trend is Fasting: What say you?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Talking of studies.....
    This is an interesting one that seems well designed, good size sample and duration.
    It was also run by a fasting enthusiast (time restricted eating version) .

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2771095

Highlights:
    Time Restricted Eating....
    Showed more moss of lean mass compared to eating in a more time-balanced way.
    Showed a spontaneous reduction in activity
    Showed no advantage (or disadvantage) as regards resting metabolic rate. The common claim of boosted metabolism doesn't seem evidence-based.

Here's a review of the study including some suggestions that might mitigate or avoid the lean mass and activity issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_Qd7tcB3E

(What say I? Personally I will continue mostly skipping breakfast as it makes my weight maintenance easier and more enjoyable.)
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For starters, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was coined by the Kellogg corporation, there weren't any experts involved. It was just a marketing slogan.

IF is just a tool which may help people better maintain their calories. Studies on the health benefits of IF, if any are pretty inconclusive and more or less in their infancy. I have done IF at various times throughout my life and have gained weight, maintained weight, and lost weight depending on my overall calorie intake. For most of my weight gain years I inadvertently practiced IF as I never used to consume anything before my lunch except black coffee...but my lunches, snacking, and dinners were large. My personal preference now is 3 meals per day with an afternoon snack. I do tend to skip breakfast if I know I'm going to have higher calories later in the day...like if we're planning to go out or we're attending some kind of party or something as it helps keep calories in check.

This is also true.

As much as I love IF, it's also kind of how I gained weight in the first place...sort of.

During med school, we were going 100hr work weeks and I never had time to eat. So I would get home from the hospital, eat way too much pizza from the place in my building, and then wash it down with 3-4 glasses of wine most nights.

I gained only a pound or two a month, but over 4 years, that adds up to obese.

IF can't compensate for a terrible diet and too much alcohol. It's not magic. Granted, it was never actually IF, because I was drinking coffee all day long with cream in it. But still, black coffee 16 hours a day wouldn't have miraculously saved me from gaining weight on a diet of pizza and wine.

I love IF now, because it's just a really great refinement of an already on-point diet.

That said, on fasting forums, many people have reported that their appetite and food choices have gotten healthier since starting IF. That they've eliminated sugar cravings, binge episodes, and start craving a lot more vegetables.

So that effect for some people alone would be a massive benefit, and have a huge impact on weight.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    For me personally, IF just ain't my thing. I usually train first thing after I wake up and I perform much better with at least a couple hundred calories in me before I am out the door to head to the gym. Most of my meals are on the small-ish side (then again, I am in a cut, so take that with a grain of salt!), with one larger meal (usually dinner), and then a small bedtime meal/snack just before turning in, so generally 4-5 meals/snacks throughout the day. But once again, that's just me and how I do things.
  • HelPur25
    HelPur25 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've done IF, alt day, and a longer water fast in the past, each for different reasons. I like 16:8 IF in general on a regular basis because otherwise I snack too much in the evening. Keeping all my meals in an 8 hr window helps me control total calories. It's also taught me to recognize true hunger vs. boredom or stress eating. I've used alt day fasting to get through a weight loss stall. The longer water fast was for other health issues, but in general, I feel like I lost muscle and my metabolism decreased, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a really specific reason for doing it besides weight loss. I gained back all that I lost once I started eating again, only it's not muscle now.
  • carlorie_deficit
    carlorie_deficit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally I like it, its not superior to any diet because all diets require a deficit to work if we are talking weight loss

I like IF because it tailors well to my lifestyle and I just find it easy, I think some of the benefits that people claim you get from IF is true, like I feel mental clarity, less brain fog, less hunger, more control over calories etc, but again, its down to the individual

• Peppegal
    Peppegal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started the fasting and more fiber the end of December. I started losing more weight because it was so slow I half a pound a week before Christmas. It was so frustrating I just said I have to make a change somehow so my son directed me to fasting. Honestly, I just didn't think I could do it.
    When I check my nutrition I realize I was having enough protein and probably still don't but my fiber content is way up. The fiber is allowing me to go longer without eating. For me it goes hand-in-hand.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    IF is not magic for me, but it does help me stay on track, and provides structure. I am a teacher, an rarely have time to eat anything until at least 11 am on a weekday anyway... so why not. 16:8 is also really just the old "do not eat after 7" with a different name, and people still swear by that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Except it's not -- many people do 16:8 and eat late. Personally, looking back at my own weight loss success, I would swear by ignoring the don't eat after 7 advice. Making things simple and figuring out what worked for me was important in that, and I usually worked until 7 and even when I didn't often worked out after work and then commuted home. So if I had stressed about a pointless rule like not eating after 7, it would have derailed me -- I would have worried about whether it was hopeless anyway or tried to find a way to eat dinner at work (which would have interfered with my enjoyment of eating and ability to have fresh cooked meals, etc.). As it was, I went with the schedule that worked for me, logged, saw results, and realized that for me eating around 9 worked great as I was never hungry before bed and could easily stick with my own preferred (not saying anyone else should prefer it) plan to eat only at meals, no snacking.

Anyway, I did a form of IF for a while when it fit my schedule, as I can basically take or leave breakfast. I'm back to eating 3x/day, no snacks, since I find that fits my preferences better, at least with my current schedule and nutrition goals. I can see why it would be helpful for some, but I don't see it as any different in kind or having greater effects than any other schedule that helps someone (for those of us who find schedules useful in controlling cals).
  • milk_n_cookies
    milk_n_cookies Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it rlly depends on the person. i'm muslim & we fast for around 16 hrs in ramadan but eat towards the end of the day. ++ i have an eating disorder that's restrictive and i fast because of it (as in full days no food which yes i'm aware is totally wrong) and i think the way i do it is v unhealthy, going something like 100 hrs with no food etc is not good at all but i think fasting is nice if there;s an eating window in the same day
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Let me be the first to congratulate you @Thewonderofitall for reaching autophagy!!! Oh, and congrats to every other person who lives on the planet, because they have 'reached' autophagy as well!!

Well that was kind of snotty!
    There is nothing magical about autophagy... your body is very skilled at doing it and does it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, regardless of your eating patterns. There is some evidence that there is a slight uptick in autophagy as a result of fasting, but it is a SLIGHT uptick (there is also some evidence that the uptick actually occurs after you break your fast and not during the fast).

Not from everything I've read. I have to strongly disagree with this.
    To get back to the original topic, IF is a great tool for controlling the amount of food that a person eats (for some at least), but there is nothing magical about it - calories consumed still count and it is scarily easy to over-consume calories even during IF.

So you're just ignoring the "Fed" and "Fasted" body states? Well it helped me lose weight a lot better then non-fasting while consuming the same number of calories.

To each their own!