Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• HorizonFocus
    HorizonFocus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos Disease and been told that I will have to be careful with certain foods, especially leafy vegetables but nothing more than that. Are there any specific foods I should watch out for or cut out? These days I eat a lot of spinach and pak choi.
  • dlparsons4016
    dlparsons4016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have hit a plateau with my diet. I stay within my calorie limit. The macro range of carbs 50%, fats 30%, and protein 20%. Some days I increase protein and decrease carbs. I cook at home most days. I take yoga and aerobics 5 days a week at the gym. I am in late sixties with normal thyroid labs, but it seems like my metabolism is dragging. Need or want to lose 7 pounds and keep it off. Any suggestions?
  • cfwicks
    cfwicks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that when I exercise intensely that I am barely able to move for 2 days after exercising. I am a 55-year-old type 2 diabetic and want to find a way to deal with the lactic build-up after exercising. I have tried Epson salt baths and bulking up on bananas beforehand. Is there an additional pre-workout and post-workout regimen that I should follow to improve recovery time?
  • gokinka
    gokinka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 9 weeks left until my first half marathon. I was thinking of taking creatine to boost my performance. Has anyone tried it? Would it be beneficial?
  • sandihmcbride
    sandihmcbride Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Between December 17th and January 9th we did a lot of traveling to visit our kids, grandkids and siblings. I know I didn't eat right all the time because other people were making the meals. When I got home I had gained about 10 pounds. Since I've been home I've been watching what I eat and working out. Even though I eat 1100 - 1250 calories and work out 30 ' 75 minutes a day I can't seem to lose the weight. It is really frustrating because I am out of the healthy bmi range. Can you help me?
  • jumelstu
    jumelstu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i am in menopause, working out 4-5 days a week for a month now and eating well, one cheat day on the weekend and not even a pound lost. i dont expect drastic results but a pound or two would be nice. any advice on what i am doing wrong?
  • andsuecamp
    andsuecamp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for some high protein snacks (besides nuts).
  • drkgopal
    drkgopal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I eat diary products but not eggs. I have tough time meeting the protein goals that are recommended by Myfitnesspal. I typically only meet about 50% of protein goal that myfitnesspal recommends for my calorie intake. Do you have any suggestions of how I can do better?
  • conniem115
    conniem115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. The doctor prescribed medication which has relieved the discomfort but I still have belly bloat. This is making me very self conscious. Any suggestions on diet/exercises that will help reduce the bloating? I have been walking almost daily and being more aware of my diet. Thank you!
  • drkgopal
    drkgopal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether you can answer this. This is a health question and not a diet question. We often hear that adults need 7 to 9 hours of sleep. Fitness watches like fitbit and others, give you the data of how much time you were in bed and how much time you slept. The data is broken into awake time, rem time, deep sleep time and light sleep time. My question is whether the 7 to 9 hours of recommendation refers to the total duration (sum of all four components) or only the sleep time (rem + deep + light)?
  • drtanya3
    drtanya3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are some high-protein foods for someone looking to eat healthily?
    I am trying to avoid animal sources
  • ecazeredo
    ecazeredo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is/are the ideal breakfast for those that wake up at 5:40 am to go to the gym at 6 am and work out (weight lift) for 1h30?
    I'm 45, 73kg, 168cm, male, BMI 25%.
  • RBnorth66
    RBnorth66 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac, DH and IBS. I can't eat any grains, dairy, seafood or nuts. How do I develop a diet that is good for me and help me lose weight?
  • bjsaltou2
    bjsaltou2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 84 and would like to know some tips on exercise and how to perform them.
  • Coelys
    Coelys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, F and currently weight 65 kg. Latino, living in Italy. I have ulcerative colitis (pancolitis), currently on stage 4 (so not remission yet). I also have Hashimoto disease, a hiatus hernia and diabetes type 2. Though I follow the same diet every week (same fixed dishes and snacks - I follow the Mediterranean diet and have 3 meals + 3 snacks) and I always keep below 1200 calories and I do yoga and at least 10 mins cardio almost every day, one week I might lose a whole kilo and a half, while another week I might gain the same amount or don't lose anything at all... now I've been going around 64-66 kg for two months and I'm not sure what to do... should I lower my calorie intake, or perhaps change my macro? Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!
  • trail02
    trail02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Female, 45yrs old. I have no idea how to bulk when I am on calorie deficit to lose my fats, especially around the waist. I do strength training at home and quite often I am able to hit my macros, especially protein. =(
  • cherylscott4
    cherylscott4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find ways to help my self. On Feb. 12, 2022 I was take to the hospital because a blood clot went to my brain. I have blood clots in my heart, my lungs, and my legs. I have to take Eliquis 5 MG twice a day. I am eating a vegan diet and I am working out 20 minutes a day on a air walker and bike every other day. Is there anything else I can do to help get rid of these blood clots.
  • MELitzenberger
    MELitzenberger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’d like to add more legumes and beans to my weekly meal plan but I’ve noticed these make me gassy and my intestines gurgle uncomfortably. What options food-wise are there to counteract this problem?
  • wheeledwinger519
    wheeledwinger519 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've seen ads on FB from trainers discussing healthy foods that interfere with testosterone production. Of course they won't go further and say which foods unless you buy their programs. Are there foods that inhibit testosterone, and if so, which ones?
  • bjsaltou2
    bjsaltou2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just left a ? On exercise for 84yr old. I am on 1200 calories a day and need ideas for fiber and protein besides the exercise question. I do some walking but would like to get back into the gym. I am only 4'9" tall and weigh 154 and want to lose more as my doctors tell me I am obese. I used to weigh 220when I started my weight loss journey 3 years ago. Please help me solve my problem in any suggestions you can give me. Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.