Have a Health & Nutrition Question? Ask the RD!

Options

Replies

• jamesmjmj
    jamesmjmj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm very anemic and not a red meat lover....any diet tips while I wait for my infusion? Thanks :)
  • eastwynd
    eastwynd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only seem to lose about a pound per week no matter how deep I cut my calories or how much exercise I put in. I feel like I've made every meaningful adjustment; is there anything else I can do?
  • BellyFat408
    BellyFat408 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is a healthy way to jumpstart and maintain a your pituitary gland?
  • BirdFeather
    BirdFeather Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm told that going by BMI and standard weight charts are not reliable. How can I find what my ideal weight should be?
  • sfharvey07
    sfharvey07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What are your recommendations for a 49yr old peri-menopausal, low bone density, lactose intolerant woman who’s active (exercises 6 days/week including running and body weight strength training) eats a healthy diet but cannot lose the new 8 pounds I found! Also, what supplements do you recommend?
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hike a lot. Over the past few years, I've figured out that my average calorie burn per mile is 130 kCal. I want to make sure I'm carrying the right amount of food because at the start of a week-long hike food is the single heaviest item in my pack.

What calculation should I use to determine how many calories to bring? (BMR x # of days I'm hiking) + (miles I'm hiking x 130 kCal)? Or should I use a figure less than BMR because 130 kCal I'm burning per hour includes the BMR for those hours?

A prior RD suggested I could run a calorie deficit of up to 250 kCal/day without it having a negative impact on performance while I was training to run an ultramarathon. I'd like to come close to my daily calories burned because eating enough while hiking also helps keep me warm at night. But I don't want to repeat the experience I had a few years ago: I packed what I thought was six days of food, it took me seven days to do the hike, and I still had a kg of food in my bag.

Thanks in advance!
  • agusiaz2020
    agusiaz2020 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Premenopausal, healthy and relatively active and like many struggling with belly fat. Always ate a healthy balanced diet. Refocused micros (50/15/35) and adjusted calories (1,700), added regular exercise (strength +10,000 steps+ cardio not at the same time) but the weight is very, very slow to leave. My goodness, I never worked so hard and watched what I eat, but the weight is stubbornly there. I will lose it but how will I be able to keep it off!!! It will be a life of constant 1.5 hr a day exercise and calorie counting and denying a treat here and there. What resources, tools, methods should I explore? I fear the answer is this is just regular reality of aging:-(
  • gethealthy2
    gethealthy2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need help losing 15 pounds and a protruding abdomen. Active at 72. Thanks
  • GforU
    GforU Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time resisting cookies, snacks, carbs, etc. in the evening. After 7/8pm. How can I curb these cravings?
  • johannefortier1650
    johannefortier1650 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having issues absorbing Vitamin D...I tried increasing the dose (2,000 IU/day) and taking Vit K2 with it (100ug) with it but after 3 months the level has barely increased and is still below range. Any suggestions (other than increasing to 4,000IU/day and 200ug of K2)?
  • saraniir
    saraniir Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel extremely sleepy after 30-40 min workout that I can’t survive the day without a long nap. What can I do about it ?
  • cpickworth
    cpickworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What do you think about the keto diet?
  • theodrlive
    theodrlive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know red leaf lettuce is supposed to be more nutritious than plain green lettuce; but is that true for the green parts of red leaf lettuce leaves, or just the red-colored parts?
  • Bvgrammy
    Bvgrammy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 74 years old. I have been following MFP for many months. I have been eating around 1300 calories. I have not been doing much exercise because of a bad back. Going to have surgery on it in 3 days but my question is: I have not lost any weight in all that time. I really like the program but am discouraged. What can I do to lose some weight? I would like to lose 40 lbs by the end of the year. Thank you.
  • mara1435
    mara1435 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m perimenopausal and am struggling to lose the 5lbs I put on during the holidays. I exercise 5 days a week and I meal plan each week aiming for 1300 Cals/day. Any suggestions or changes I should make?
  • theodrlive
    theodrlive Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Canned soups always seem to have lots of sodium; is that distributed evenly between the liquid and the solid portions of the soup? In other words, if I strain out the liquid, am I reducing my sodium intake proportionately?
  • michaelmilne6856
    michaelmilne6856 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is hard to reach over 125 ?grams of protein daily, any ideas
  • SilverSparrow04
    SilverSparrow04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to start exercising more, mainly weight lifting (I'd be going from once a week of swimming to adding 3 days of weightlifting). How do I calculate how much more I'll need to eat to help fuel my workouts and/or refuel after a workout without overeating?
  • jmariocgii
    jmariocgii Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Is fat (any fat - fish, nuts, eggs, dairy) intake a significant factor if someone has their gallbladder remove? Is 30% fat for macro allocation good? or lower than that if I decide to lose weight?

If I decide to lose 15 lbs, should I add exercise to my TDEE value? or just remain at TDEE for food.
  • ohangee
    ohangee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is the best "sugar" to use for health benefits? I use raw honey but I just read that Maple syrup has a lower glycemic index which helps your blood sugar not rise as much. In artifical sweeteners, I use monk fruit or swerve.
This discussion has been closed.