No motivation left.

Hi, I am 48yo female and have been dieting in some shape or form all of my adult life. Currently at 205lb, probably heaviest ever. I have in the past used weight watchers or mfp to lose a stone here or there but I find now I have lost all motivation and I'm worried for my future. Apart from looking awful, I am suffering from constant joint pain and tiredness. I had been a regular walker up to recently, not huge distances, maybe 3 miles per day and also did kb swings sporadically. I just find now I have lost all motivation. While I want nothing more than to lose weight, even 2 stone loss would be great, I cannot seem to make the start. I have gone to bed many nights saying tomorrow I'll log into mfp and make some changes but then tomorrow comes and work is stressful and the kids need to be parented 😉 and it all falls apart. I am worried now for my health so why am I such a lazy unmotivated fool? Has anyone some good tips to pull myself out of this rut.
Thanks.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    You are getting such excellent advice here! If you’ve yo-yo dieted your whole life and you are back up on the scale, what you have done in the past didn’t work. Successful weight loss also means keeping the weight off, which means finding a lifestyle you can maintain forever. There is no finish line.

Start small as others have suggested. I second the advice of doing nothing for the first two weeks other than logging your food. Start with changing the low hanging fruit.

If this sounds appealing to you, I recommend the podcast Half Size Me. It changed my whole mindset. I lost 50 pounds several years ago and have kept it off for years by slowly changing my habits and creating a life I enjoy and that I can sustain through the ups and downs.

And no motivation was necessary! My habits carry me through each day, not motivation. It takes time, but this is forever.

Another fan of Half Size Me here. Her 500th episode from last fall was particularly good. (# 1 is kind of a trick point.)

https://www.halfsizeme.com/hsm500/

In EPISODE 500(!) of The Half Size Me™ Show, Heather talks to you about the 6 most important lessons she has learned in the past 15 years of losing 170 pounds and maintaining that weight loss. She shares all about
    1. why you don’t have to lose weight
    2. why you need to take responsibility for all your actions (including being in a yo-yo diet cycle)
    3. how to stop creating diet drama
    4. how to ditch the scale
    5. and more!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You are getting such excellent advice here! If you’ve yo-yo dieted your whole life and you are back up on the scale, what you have done in the past didn’t work. Successful weight loss also means keeping the weight off, which means finding a lifestyle you can maintain forever. There is no finish line.

Start small as others have suggested. I second the advice of doing nothing for the first two weeks other than logging your food. Start with changing the low hanging fruit.

If this sounds appealing to you, I recommend the podcast Half Size Me. It changed my whole mindset. I lost 50 pounds several years ago and have kept it off for years by slowly changing my habits and creating a life I enjoy and that I can sustain through the ups and downs.

And no motivation was necessary! My habits carry me through each day, not motivation. It takes time, but this is forever.

Another fan of Half Size Me here. Her 500th episode from last fall was particularly good. (# 1 is kind of a trick point.)

https://www.halfsizeme.com/hsm500/

In EPISODE 500(!) of The Half Size Me™ Show, Heather talks to you about the 6 most important lessons she has learned in the past 15 years of losing 170 pounds and maintaining that weight loss. She shares all about
    1. why you don’t have to lose weight
    2. why you need to take responsibility for all your actions (including being in a yo-yo diet cycle)
    3. how to stop creating diet drama
    4. how to ditch the scale
    5. and more!

I also recommend Half Size Me. It’s an amazing podcast. Really helped me change my mindset.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    You’ve come to the right place! We are all here to help motivate you and keep you going.

I have three items for you:

1) Try a mindset change — you are not on a diet. You are embarking on a sustainable lifestyle change that will allow you to live your best life. Start with one small sustainable change. Then add another, then add another.

2) Chose your hard — You’ve indicated that your current life is hard with joint pain. You’ve indicated that you’ve been ‘dieting’ you whole life. Which is harder?
    a) living with joint pain (and other potential future more serious health problems)
    or
    b) making healthy food choices and saying ‘no thank you’ to other people and getting a daily walk in.

3) set yourself up for success — today before you go to bed plan for tomorrow. What are you going to eat? When are you going to go for a walk? How long will your walk be? Put your walking shoes where you will see them. Leave a note on the fridge to remind yourself. Talk with your family and get their support and get your kids involved. When you create an environment in which you are prepared, you will be successful.

You’ve got this!!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Bookmarking this thread because there is a lot of valuable input for some of my weaker days. And we all have them.

@Dermo480 Erase everything you've tried before, this is a whole new fresh start for you, for the rest of your life. Enter your stats and see what it gives you for calories, etc. Start there, eat foods you enjoy without going over too much, find replacements for foods you love that aren't as calorie laden and keep those extra tempting nibbles out of the house completely. (There are days I do go over some and I still lose or stay the same, so it's been a win so far). See if you can get some IRL walking buddies to join you; I've found walking and talking to be so much better than walking alone. Walk in new places, new scenery and sights might keep you more interested. I agree that 3 miles a day is fantastic! But change it up to make it more exciting. Try a different exercise maybe? Swimming, hula hoop, resistance bands, dancing, whatever you enjoy. Main thing is to keep moving. Make small goals, as far as pounds, instead of looking at the whole picture. Think 2-5 at a time instead of 50.

Wishing you much luck!!
  • spirittrail
    spirittrail Posts: 210 Member
    I agree with Maggie Girl. I exercise so that I'm done for the day....but I think it's very important to MOVE YOUR BODY daily in some way. I enjoy it. Moving can mean so many things. Yoga. Walks. Classes. Dumbell weights. There really is something for everybody.
    Dermo480....I recommended daily walking for no set amount of time because I believe the power of daily movement will slowly get the blood flow back into your joints and the oxygen will do wonders for your mind set. The caveat is to just get out there and do it. Don't think about time or distance. Once you are out you may go further than you planned. But if you hate the thought of going, set a timer for one or two minutes....walk until it goes off...then turn around and walk home. You'd be shocked at how that tiny time makes you feel better and if you must go very slowly, that's OK!! I once had an over 300 pound friend ask for advice. I asked a trainer at my gym. He told me to tell her all she could do is walk...but it was going to change the mitochondria, her mood, lubricate her joints. All sorts of good things! So I gave her the same advice along with the added colored boxes. That was my idea. I find it motivational to chart exercise. She had slow short days at first but kept going. A bit longer. It worked! She felt better! Her joint pain improved! Yes she saw a doctor as well but her doctor said it couldn't hurt if done slow and steady.
    People with advice just want to help. A lot of us speak from experience. Take what you need and leave the rest. You may just leave it all and that's okay too. When you are ready this thread is here. 🙂