Looking for any small Movements (even if not "exercise") I could do every day?

Replies

• trunkschan90
    trunkschan90 Posts: 24 Member
    Another type of movement you can add but the product is bit pricey, but I'm glad the other types of exercises you're using are working
    91RZD7MnuyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Another is a leg trainer (you can just exercise one leg at a time or both)
    71hl9ZtOZlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    So, I managed to do all my hand movements yesterday, and nothing else. Today, back at it, and!!! Have increased ability for some exercises!!! And I can stand for a full minute now, which is huge.

wbvqk2v9610y.jpg

Feeling very encouraged by this bit of progress! :)

@Sinisterbarbie1 thank you! I don't think i can do the thing with the ball yet... I'm short and my feet don't reach the ground on my recliner (the only chair I can sit in for long right now) or sofa. But I can definitely add in those shower and neck movements, and the ball thing can go on my "try later" list! I appreciate it very much!

@jwoolman5 definitely looking to get better healthcare, but it's a process lol. Thank you for the well-wishes!

@trunkschan90 that deskcycle thing might work! Looks like my feet would reach frim the sofa!! I will look and see if I can find one I can afford. Maybe as my next goal reward!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Can use a sturdy box, ottoman, stool, or even level-surface hard cushion to elevate ball or even a foot-cycle.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Can use a sturdy box, ottoman, stool, or even level-surface hard cushion to elevate ball or even a foot-cycle.

Sometimes it's the simplest solutions which elude me, lmao. Thank you. 😆 I'm so smooth-brained today!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    I read a fascinating article yesterday about a study that showed that exercise reduces joint and arthritis pain.

That’s been my N=1. Yeah, I have other compensating pains (tendency to overstretch because it feels soooo good in the moment) but man, my overall pain level compared to before beginning exercise?

If I were still obese and sedentary I can’t even imagine where it’s be.

I’m so happy to be avoiding pain and arthritis meds a few years longer.

Wish I could share the article but Apple News has it fixed so you can’t share links without the reader also having a subscription. Annoying.
  • AnnPT77
    I read a fascinating article yesterday about a study that showed that exercise reduces joint and arthritis pain.

That’s been my N=1. Yeah, I have other compensating pains (tendency to overstretch because it feels soooo good in the moment) but man, my overall pain level compared to before beginning exercise?

If I were still obese and sedentary I can’t even imagine where it’s be.

I’m so happy to be avoiding pain and arthritis meds a few years longer.

Wish I could share the article but Apple News has it fixed so you can’t share links without the reader also having a subscription. Annoying.

If the article is specific enough, and you're willing to comment here on researchers or academic institutions associated with the study, maybe even the title or a paraphrase if the article's that specific, we could maybe find at least the press release from the institution, or the abstract on PubMed or some such.

Sometimes articles will even have a subtle link, but I'm betting you'd have noticed and linked that.
  • AnnPT77
    I'm also really interested in the article!

Mini updates:
    1) I made it into the kitchen TWICE this morning standing for nearly 2 minutes each time, to show my aspiring-chef daughter how to use the new food processor to chop bell peppers. I haven't been able to do that without extreme pain in awhile... but I feel fine!!

2) Encouraged by the above, my daughter brought me her box of autism fidget toys, with instructions to "move in small movements more!" Which.. pretty funny, but also... why not? If "any small movements" are helping... why not fidgets?

Fidgeting, according to research studies, can burn up to low hundreds of calories daily (perhaps more), in otherwise similar people. (The scholarly term is "spontaneous physical activity" or SPA, and to be fair, it includes more than just the common fidgetiness definition of being kind of . . . twitchy?)

There aren't that many decent general-reader summaries from sound sources about this, so I'm going to quote and an article from Layne Norton (sound source) that's about bodybuilding contest prep (a general subject not yet relevant in this thread 😉😆):
    Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is all of the movement an individual does throughout the day outside of the gym. This includes involuntary activity such as twitching and fidgeting as well as voluntary activity such as walking around during the day. Admittedly, NEAT is something I really never paid attention to until recent years. However, since focusing on increasing NEAT, both with myself and with clients, I am amazed at the difference it can make.

NEAT can vary greatly from individual to individual. The number of calories burned from fidgeting can range from 100-800 Calories daily [11] and total daily calories burned from NEAT can differ by 2000 Calories daily or more in similar individuals [12]. Moreover, numerous studies have reported a decrease in NEAT during weight loss interventions [13][14][15][16][17]. This is thought to be an evolutionary response to conserve energy during levels of low energy intake.

https://www.biolayne.com/articles/contest-prep/4-lessons-learned-throughout-bodybuilding-career/
    Scroll down to the heading "NEAT matters" to get those links to the footnotes, if you want the studies he cites.

I remember reading a study more specifically about fidgeting (vs. overall SPA, NEAT), but didn't bookmark it so can't link it.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Oh, no worries... I love falling into research rabbit holes, lol, I will do some digging!

And thank for the link, I'll go read that one now.

If I can burn calories and regain mobility by playing with toys, I'm about to get *fit*.

Kidding, ofc, I know it's not quite that simple but what a fun thought!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Thanks for the continued updates. You are doing great!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Clueless here! :smiley: Love your attitude though! :wink:

After my family's adventures with stability balls... I would definitely classify them in the "appreciable" risk to end up on the floor category!!!

As you progress and get stronger and maybe if you ever spot a used one (or a give away)... my dad has taken like a duck to water to using one of the under desk "cubii" type gadgets.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I love seeing your updated exercise tracker. Look at all the progress you have made!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I LOVE your determination! I hope you are keeping all of your progress notes. Everybody here has a different reason to engage in movement or better nutrition. Yours is made more challenging by pain for sure. I can't wait to hear updates as things continue to improve for you. I definitely recommend using the pool when it opens. Pool walking in shallow water is wonderful for resistance. If you can join a water fitness class, those are also great. And you never have to do exactly what the instructor or anyone else is doing. There are days when I go to a class and my whole focus is flexibility because the day before was a challenging day and I just want to stretch and get some range of motion. You listen to your body and do what you need to do.

You've gotten such great advice here. I'm jumping on one of your support buses and grabbing pom poms to cheer you on. One day at a time. Half a day at a time. And when things go sideways, just get back at it. You're doing so well! :heart:
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Professor Attila's little known classic may be just a fun read, but the sheer variety is suprising. After making my shoulders sore last fall I played around with some of these looking for "First, do no harm" recovery:

https://archive.org/details/profattilasfivep00atti

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    On a second thought, depending on medical restriction, you might find the "non-movements" of isometrics less difficult and possibly more beneficial than repetitive stress - most of my shoulder joint recovery last winter was in this mode. It's having a bit of fitness industry resurgence and I found a lot online but this old book has a good explanation and progression from very basic to challenging:

https://pdfcoffee.com/152039845-wittenberg-isometrics-exercises-by-henry-wittenberg1-pdf-free.html

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your journey and what a motivation and inspiration you are.

I can’t imagine how it must be that even typing on your phone is painful, that’s just awful and reiterates what amazing progress you’ve made on your good days.

Hopefully the weight loss from a calorie controlled diet will only be compounded by your commitment to keep pushing boundaries and you’ll soon be making even more progress. Be sure to measure it so you can look back and be proud of how far you’ve come.

One thing I thought of for when you’re a little more mobile… cold water therapy. It’s meant to be Sooooo beneficial for people with long term pain conditions. I don’t know if you have any sea or lakes or rivers nearby? You don’t have to swim, just immerse yourself in the cold water. Even turning the temperature down and enduring a cold shower at home to start with could really be beneficial. You can read up on it :)

The other thing I wondered is if you maybe could have access to charity support that you just haven’t explored? I’m sure there must be a service that could help with physical therapy for you. I wonder if maybe you think ‘oh no, they are for people more needy than me’ but actually you’re exactly the kind of person they’d want to help; you’re motivated to improve your mobility and they will want to help you so you can take care of yourself.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    sarabushby wrote: »

I wonder if maybe you think ‘oh no, they are for people more needy than me’

Lol I was thinking that while reading. Busted.

I do have a social worker who helps me coordinate things and like get to the store/appointments and things. Kinda figured she would mention if I was eligible for anything, but ... maybe I should ask... circumstances have changed a lot since I last looked into stuff.

I'll look into the cold water thing too!

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    You have some major challenges. Congratulations on making the first step of logging into MFP.
    My thoughts:
    1) weight loss is the result of caloric deficit. You don’t need exercise to achieve weight loss
    2) exercise strengthens and builds muscles.
    3) seated / very low impact exercise suggestions :
    - resistance bands or loops.
    - Healing yoga with Deborah Devine
    - beginner Pilates. I like FitOn’s Casey Ho
    - Walking — I know you have limited mobility, so start with very little. Gradually and as you feel comfortable add a little more

Best of luck