WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Annie-Have you tried using dry shampoo with your mom? Perhaps you can apply it for her. I know as my grandfather got into his upper 80s and into his 90s, washing his hair was quite a chore. It was hard for him to lift his arms up that far. It's not going to replace washing it, but it may help from time to time. I use it about 3 times a week instead of washing. My stylist said we overwash our hair and I have to say, I'm now a fan of not having to wash my hair all the time.

Tina
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,040 Member
    edited May 2022
    Allie: Oh-oh!!! It was NOT your fault! You just had an accident is all. I'm praying for the little guy to be alright. They are pretty resilient.
    Machka: I do hope that you get your wish to see your parents. In truth, we are bound to display some traits from both family lines throughout our lives.
    Lisa: Love the reno. I also tried various layouts before I settled on my current one. Hopefully the humera will continue to improve your health.
    Lanette: I so agree with the 4 Ds idea. We're still shopping early morning when the supermarket is quite empty, but we still mask. Also take my glasses off, but I can see close up without them, so not a biggie for me.

It's been raining on and off all day. I had a good session at Parchment Craft. Home now watching our Local Assembly election results!

☘ Terri
  • sh0tzz99
    Nice photos, Tina, and great knees! :D

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thanks! :smile:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Sending good thoughts Allie and Miles!

Kim in N Ca
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    Allie - many hugs for you and Miles, honey, keeping a good thought, please keep us posted.

Re: hair... If it was humanly possible to do so, I have washed my hair every day of my life, barring hospitals and camping, etc. For the last year, though, I've been moving toward five times a week, then three, and I'm down to one. I lost almost a third of my hair during the malnutrition phases of the last couple years, and what I had left was getting very brittle. Washing it daily was making it worse, and it wasn't like I was getting sweaty or dirty.

Now that I'm starting to get a little more active, I wash it on Sunday and then either skip it, rinse it only, or condition it only the rest of the week. There are tons of wispy hairs coming back in, so I have hope that I'll get my thick head of hair back.

Credit card stuff:
    Some of you may remember that I had my wallet stolen a couple years back, and it was a mess trying to get everything canceled and replaced. It means I keep my antenna up about the credit that we have, and keep very close tabs on it.

An email from one of our credit cards threatened us with closing it if we didn't use it. We opened it four years ago because we got 0% interest the first year, and we needed appliances for the new house. Paid it off long before the year was over, and just never used it again. So I called them and closed it before they closed it.

Closed another one because Goldman Sachs took it over from Capital One. Took a really good look at what GS was offering with it, driving down as far as I could below the marketing hype of "5X Bonus points on ... " and "10,000 bonus points for spending $100 on ..." and NO where that I could find told you what the bonus points were good for in terms of dollars. Don't like shell games, so I talked to Corey last night and closed that one too.

We'll take a hit on our credit rating, but not too worried about it. Unfortunately, they will both sell our information to everyone and we'll be flooded with junk mail, but that will pass too.

Talked to my daughter, and it's wonderful to hear her happy again. It was a long winter for her. She has another man in her life, which is good for her bruised and battered ego, and I got a chance to talk to him today on speaker. He sounds an awful lot like her daddy, which doesn't surprise me at all. She worships her daddy, with good reason, and compares every man to him.

She's starting to get things sorted out with her soon-to-be-ex-husband, he's being less belligerent and slightly more cooperative. Hope that continues. For all of y'all with children in the U.S., Happy Mother's Day this Sunday! My daughter told me she bought me a card today, which is fairly typical. My son will text me on Sunday if his fiancee' reminds him. My husband and I will avoid being anywhere near a restaurant on Sunday, because it's insanity on Mother's Day. And I'm not his mother. :wink:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • sh0tzz99
    Oh im in a state.i changed Miles diaper at my place and i stepped on his strler wheel with him in my arms and went down. He wacked his head on my coffee table ..i had a fast hold on him but he still clipped the table anyway....
    Tracy is coming home.. pediatrician wants him seen at the childrens hospital ...
    Dear God what have I done.

Allie-When my youngest sister was not even 1, I accidently dropped her on her head. She's in her 40s now. Other than making some terrible decisions (in my opinion), she's fine and a successful business person. I know it doesn't take the worry away, but kids are amazingly resilient.

Karen-The flower could be a Peruvian daffodil. Thanks.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2022
    (((Allie))) — Sending love your way. I hope you’re okay and Miles is, too. ❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Allie hugs for you and Miles and Tracey.

My interesting guy from okcupid is being dreadfully quiet. I should have heard from him last night. It's looking like he is going to fade away. Too bad.

Tina Dry shampoo is a great idea, thanks! I will talk to her about it. And about lifting her arms.

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member

Kedgeree, Rita, is a smoked haddock and rice dish. It originated in India, in the days of the British Raj, and it is lightly spiced. I use a Delia Smith recipe, and add frozen peas to the mix. We adore it. https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/mothers-day/mothers-day-breakfast-and-brunch/kedgeree

Going to put my peppers in the oven. :D Ragu is ready in the IP. Parmesan is grated.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thanks Heather! It sounds wonderful! I’ll check out the link!

RvRita
  • kevrit
    Finally! Rita - thank you so much!

This is Michaela on her first ceramics day.

cwazcth03vwu.jpeg
    ssr6uex9p62w.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

You are welcome Tracey! Awesome pics! Looks like Michaela had fun!

RvRita !
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,029 Member
    I lost 2.4 pounds this week! It's working! Yay! If every week we're like this week, I would be so ready for summer!

Annie in Delaware
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,040 Member
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Allie, I fell outside carrying my grandson years ago, and his head thumped the hard ground. I was beside myself. I understand how awful this feels. I hope your little guy will be okay. (((HUGS)))

Karen in Virginia
  • kevrit
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member

Barbie - I am jealous the rain let up in your area and you were able to spread some bark yesterday. ;) It's not letting up much down here. I did manage to get an early morning mile walk in yesterday before it got heavy. Today.... hopefully.

That's it so far. Have a great day, ladies!

Lanette B)
    Soggy and chilly SW WA State.

I wish the rain would move south. We could really use it down here.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,298 Member
    When I was keeping my grandson who was sitting up but not walking, he fell back on the floor and hit his head. I thought he had a big knot on the back of his head so we rushed him to the pediatrician. We were told it was not a knot, just the shape of his head....LOL

(((Allie)))

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,441 Member
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Lol! I do know that I snore particularly loud sometimes, because I'll be dreaming and I am shouting, or singing, and its like I'm not getting it out! Then I wake up in mid snort!
    Rebecca
    Wa
    Me too🤔. That’s how a bedmate once described me in bed … not really snoring but breathing real heavy. And I sometimes wake myself up from the middle of a dream because I am shouting😅
    Small world

Heehee, I would love to hear how as sound, because in my dreams I'm trying to sing one of my opera arias, so I'm projecting! I must sound like an elk in rutting season! 😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Barbie - I am jealous the rain let up in your area and you were able to spread some bark yesterday. ;) It's not letting up much down here. I did manage to get an early morning mile walk in yesterday before it got heavy. Today.... hopefully.

That's it so far. Have a great day, ladies!

Lanette B)
    Soggy and chilly SW WA State.

I wish the rain would move south. We could really use it down here.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Debbie, I would gladly send rain south to you! It's like a cold March day, the rain keeps coming down. I need to do some tasks in the greenhouse but can't do them wearing gloves. The tomatoes are surviving but crying for warmer weather and sunshine.

The lettuce, however, is loving the chilly weather. Like Terri, we've been able to pick and eat some.

Lanette B)
    Wondering if I need to keep the woodstove going!
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Allie - many hugs for you and Miles, honey, keeping a good thought, please keep us posted.

Re: hair... If it was humanly possible to do so, I have washed my hair every day of my life, barring hospitals and camping, etc. For the last year, though, I've been moving toward five times a week, then three, and I'm down to one. I lost almost a third of my hair during the malnutrition phases of the last couple years, and what I had left was getting very brittle. Washing it daily was making it worse, and it wasn't like I was getting sweaty or dirty.

Now that I'm starting to get a little more active, I wash it on Sunday and then either skip it, rinse it only, or condition it only the rest of the week. There are tons of wispy hairs coming back in, so I have hope that I'll get my thick head of hair back.

[
    Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I wash my hair once a week, most weeks anyways- Saturday nights so it looks it's best for church, now that I am going back in church instead of just online. Since I have started doing this my hair is not as dry/frizzy/split ends. It is very long, well past my waist when wet and super curly ringlets.
    First few days it is natural then I brush it and put it in a braid.
    A few months after I got covid and dad died(both at the same time) I noticed I was loosing my hair really bad. Did 13 blood tests- all came back ok- doctor says it is stress or could be from the virus.
    By the time I contacted her and got started on treatment, I had lost at least 1/3 of my hair.
    She told me to use Rogain( I use the generic from Amazon) It took two boxes(six months worth) to really notice for me but with shorter hair, I am sure results can be seen sooner, like at three months.\ Thankfully it looks fuller than it is. No one noticed the hair loss except when it was wet. It also looked like I was loosing even more when I would clean my brush out because of it being so long.

Debbie