I need to stop the regain!

Options
Hi All!
I'm down 225-ish pounds and am finding myself sliding a little.
I was thinking some new friends might help me stay on track.
Let's motivate each other!

Replies

• rsnsza
    rsnsza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am a former long term sparkpeople member who is new to MFP. I lost about half my starting body weight on that site, about 157 pounds.

I too have slid while in maintenance and would be happy to add you as a friend. The catch is, I have no idea how! If you do, you're welcome to send me a request and I'll accept.

Wishing you the best!
  • LShotmaker
    LShotmaker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I previously lost 60 lbs on a Keto program and when Covid hit I gained it all back and more. I was so upset - I have now re-dedicated myself and am down 40. Starting to feel better physically and have started to take up pickleball. I need to lose 40 more and hope I can do it and not regain it again. Feeling empowered - MFP helps me keep motivated and on track. There are an awful lot of ads online and on fb which promise amazing fat burning pills - incredible weight loss with no dieting or exercise. Just take their magic pill - Has anyone tried any of these and was there success or is it just too good to be true?
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LShotmaker wrote: »
    I previously lost 60 lbs on a Keto program and when Covid hit I gained it all back and more. I was so upset - I have now re-dedicated myself and am down 40. Starting to feel better physically and have started to take up pickleball. I need to lose 40 more and hope I can do it and not regain it again. Feeling empowered - MFP helps me keep motivated and on track. There are an awful lot of ads online and on fb which promise amazing fat burning pills - incredible weight loss with no dieting or exercise. Just take their magic pill - Has anyone tried any of these and was there success or is it just too good to be true?

There's only 3 possibilities for a pill to make you lose weight-

1) placebo effect (not a terrible reason to take a pill if it's a water pill or something, but the problem is, it's impossible to take a pill for the purpose of utilizing the placebo effect, by definition, so this is off the table)
    2) appetite suppressant- could work, but I'd be nervous about side effects and dependence, and likely not worth it
    3) increase metabolism - meaning, generally, forcing muscles to contract, which will likely cause the heart muscle to work much harder than it needs to, meaning increased heart rate, which can be very bad for you (heart attack is not an insignificant risk, especially if you're overweight).

So - no, basically no pill that really works that's worth the consequences.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    iam4scuba wrote: »
    LShotmaker wrote: »

There's only 3 possibilities for a pill to make you lose weight-

1) placebo effect (not a terrible reason to take a pill if it's a water pill or something, but the problem is, it's impossible to take a pill for the purpose of utilizing the placebo effect, by definition, so this is off the table)
    2) appetite suppressant- could work, but I'd be nervous about side effects and dependence, and likely not worth it
    3) increase metabolism - meaning, generally, forcing muscles to contract, which will likely cause the heart muscle to work much harder than it needs to, meaning increased heart rate, which can be very bad for you (heart attack is not an insignificant risk, especially if you're overweight).

So - no, basically no pill that really works that's worth the consequences.

Mildly off topic, but there's some research evidence that a placebo can still have an effect even in cases where the subject knows that the intervention is a placebo.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/03/placebos

Brains are weird.

But yes, there really aren't any safe/legal "fat burners" that have enough effect to be worth the (usually high) $$. Caffeine is often an active ingredient, so maybe drink a little coffee - but not a risk-you-health huge amount.

Here's a handy guide for weight loss hacks: If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, did not know that regarding placebos, I'm constantly amazed by the power of the brain.