60 yrs and up

Replies

• Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for the welcome wishes. Hope you all had a nice day - it's beautiful here in southern Connecticut - the sun is shining and there's a slight breeze. Good night & sweet dreams :)
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @rubyjulylj - welcome and congrats on reaching onederland!👏
    I was first chubby in grade 3, so I can relate 😁
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @rubyjulylj Congratulations on reaching onederland!
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Welcome to all the new people. Thank you Ann for all the useful info!! Happy Anniversary, Neena!! Everyone here is working so hard. I love being part of this group. I'm doing well right now. The up and down weight has fallen into a pattern that I can deal with. I have found a routine with food items and that helps. I also have a good exercise routine established. So things are good. I have to say I am not able to log food in advance either. I can see why they say it is helpful. I have done it on a busy day when I knew what I was having and knew I couldn't get back on line to log it. But that is rare for me. Breakfast and lunch I stick with a few things that I eat all the time. Then just watch that I don't over eat at dinner.

• rubyjulylj
    rubyjulylj Posts: 3 Member
    I was a preemie and my parents spent the first 10 years trying to fatten me up. Unfortunately, they succeeded far too well. :D

• Pdc654
    OMG @aqua14lisa Skim milk at birth! Glad you survived all that.

I was one of those kids that could eat anything and not gain weight. I was so underweight at about the age of 12 that the doctor told my mom I must eat a milkshake every day with an egg in it. That did help I guess. Gained about 10 lbs in a year and they stopped the milkshake. Lost it all. By the time I graduated high school I was about 95 lbs fully clothed. I could eat sweets every day and not gain weight. That all changed when I got pregnant. Gained a lot of weight then and never really lost it all. It seemed like I just added a few more pounds every year after that.

@Timberlan127 Glad you are getting in the groove with your logging and exercise.
  • Pdc654
    So true, @AnnPT77
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    That's so true @AnnPT77 ... for me at least ... I know exactly where those 10-20 pounds extra came on ... life style change, activity level change, a propensity to satisfy the 3PM office break with a Snickers Bar or have that donut with my Donut Shop coffee on the days it was my turn to make that morning break run for the department. Oh ... and why bring lunch when Wendy's is just down the street and has a drive-through window! And .. I don't have TIME to do formal exercise ... and, and .. and. ...
  • ilsesl1
    ilsesl1 Posts: 5 Member
    73 here. I lost 40# on noom about 5 years ago and gained 30 back during covid lockdown. started WW and lose 20 then plateaued for 8 months. bought the Beck Diet Solution, which is all about mind set and is really helping. Started mfp about a week ago and have lost 3#
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Love reading all your stories. I have always had to fight to keep my weigh under control. But I was always lucky when I was younger and if I put too much on I could lose it quickly. But I've learned that it's even easier to put it on as you get older. As Ann pointed out only adding a little adds up quickly over time. Now at 72 it doesn't come off as easy. But logging on MFP and reading all the good advise here really helps me to keep control of my eating habits. Thank you all for sharing. It always helps too to know I'm not alone on this journey.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited May 2022
    @ridiculous59:
    Wow, dragon boats look like such fun! Don't think I'll ever see one where I live, it's mostly big winds and ocean waves here and way too rough. Your post inspired me to look them up on YouTube and want to try it sometime, maybe on a vacation where they offer the experience. :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    SbetaK wrote: »
    @ridiculous59:
    Wow, dragon boats look like such fun! Don't think I'll ever see one where I live, it's mostly big winds and ocean waves here and way too rough. Your post inspired me to look them up on YouTube and want to try it sometime, maybe on a vacation where they offer the experience. :)

@SbetaK, keep your eyes open. Here, even before there was a dragon boat team, a local city brought in a commercial outfit to run a one-weekend race. Usually, there'd be a day of practice (on some river or lake) then a competition day (just fun-competition, mostly, though some teams were more rabid than others). There were always teams - maybe sponsored by a local community organization or charity group - that were looking for members to fill out their teams.

The folks from the commercial outfit provided boats, paddles, life jackets, basic instruction, and had their staff man/woman the rudder for safety. The races were short (500m), so pretty do-able. I never competed, but several friends did (including um, mature ones like us). I did get to paddle one of the boats from a put-in point to the competition/practice site one year when my rowing club was providing volunteers to help staff the event.