Less Alcohol ~ MAY 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    @Sinisterbarbie1 That mocktail sounds great! I do have rhubarb bitters :D And ginger beer! But I finally finished off all my Lyre's. I enjoyed experimenting with "zero proof" spirits, and I agree with you that they make truly interesting, adult tasting beverages. Cheers!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,554 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Wednesday May 25 - 2 drinks. Happy productive day. I enjoyed my couple of drinks. Planned AF for Thursday, not so sure about Friday and Saturday yet. I do plan to get my 16AF or more.
    Thursday May 26 - AF - I definitely felt like having drinks!
    Friday May 27 - AF - Not sure about Saturday yet, but definitely planning AF for Sunday.
    Saturday May 28 - 2 drinks - Planning on hitting my 16 Sunday. Garlic in this neck of the woods btw goes into the ground with 4 inches of cover in October, Harvest is in August. I save some to put back in the ground in October, but otherwise I am eating the Garlic from last August still.

Rolling total: 15AF out of 28 days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the garlic details. Very impressive!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Went to a dry bottle store today- such an awesome variety of mocktails, alcohol-free wine and spirits. Trying one tonight.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,554 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Wednesday May 25 - 2 drinks. Happy productive day. I enjoyed my couple of drinks. Planned AF for Thursday, not so sure about Friday and Saturday yet. I do plan to get my 16AF or more.
    Thursday May 26 - AF - I definitely felt like having drinks!
    Friday May 27 - AF - Not sure about Saturday yet, but definitely planning AF for Sunday.
    Saturday May 28 - 2 drinks - Planning on hitting my 16 Sunday. Garlic in this neck of the woods btw goes into the ground with 4 inches of cover in October, Harvest is in August. I save some to put back in the ground in October, but otherwise I am eating the Garlic from last August still.
    Sunday May 28 - AF - Got a bunch done in the garden...wearing safety glasses now. I have so much more to do still, but was waylaid a couple of days when my eye was glued shut, not to mention paranoia about getting anything in it. I felt like having drinks when finished at night, but needed to get at least to my 16. Planned AF for Monday. I have a small bottle of prosecco in the fridge for Tuesday night after my pedicure that I am planning to drink.

Rolling total: 16AF out of 29 days.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    @Sinisterbarbie1 I am taking notes....sounds like a really good recipe!

My watermelon "smoothie" concoction was a major hit with the "kids". They're already asking which recipe I will do for 4th of July. Yesterday I froze the watermelon chunks, pulsed them in the blender, added the lime juice and half the agave syrup (I prefer not sweet) but it really lacked something. So I added 100% pure cranberry juice, a splash to each glass and it was WOW. Next time, I would replace the lime with the cranberry since that gave it the tart plus a flavor punch the lime could not deliver.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    @Sinisterbarbie1 That mocktail sounds great! I do have rhubarb bitters :D And ginger beer! But I finally finished off all my Lyre's. I enjoyed experimenting with "zero proof" spirits, and I agree with you that they make truly interesting, adult tasting beverages. Cheers!

I agree too, @ahoy_m8.....Lyre's must be good. How does Lyres compare to Seedlip? I was reading Seedlip is something like 5 calories. That's sounding exciting. It would be cool if there was a free tasting event somewhere where we could sample all of this (expensive) stuff :).
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    LYRE'S non-alcoholic spirits are delightful

You can create a multitude of mocktails. Just having the beautiful bottle with the interesting lable on the counter top or in the frig is worth the price.

Low calorie
    YES!

Rounded out May late yesterday afternoon by sitting on deck in the sun and having ONE prosecco, nodding off for 30 minutes (I can really party 🤣) then cooking up our holiday picinic.

Made two different potato salads. One traditional for husband made with mayo for him. Then my batch instead of mayo for mine I add roasted red pepper hummus (by Cedars) and a little EVVO. It is sooooo tastey, especially if you enjoy roasted red pepper humus.

LOL...I can't remember my drink tally. I am either at 4 or 5 total drinks for May. Will have to go searching for that.
    (Yup at 5 standard drinks, 4A days, 27AF days)

@globalhiker great watermelon recipe. Note to self.
  • MissMay
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    1st week of May - 3AF and 4A
    2nd week of May- 3AF and 4A
    3rd week 2 AF and 5A - kept it at 2 drinks each A day
    4th week of may- 4 AF and 3A - enjoyed this week a lot
    May 29-31(prelogging 31) AF
    Total for May 15 AF and 16 A - better than April but still room for improvement. On to June!

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Went to a dry bottle store today- such an awesome variety of mocktails, alcohol-free wine and spirits. Trying one tonight.

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    It's been a while since I commented - got caught up in life. Have had a few A days but less than normal.

WK 1 (1-7 MAY) - 3 AF/4 A (8 drinks)
    WK 2 (8-14 MAY) - 3 AF/4 A (10 drinks)
    WK 3 (15-21 MAY) - 4 AF/ 3 A (5 drinks)
    WK 4 (22-28 MAY) - 4 AF / 3 A (5 drinks)
    29MAY - A (2 drinks)
    30MAY - AF

T = 15A and 15 AF!
    31 will also be AF so I'll end up at more AF days than A this month! 🎉 Small achievement but an achievement all the same!

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    So yesterday with the family dinner I had several glasses of wine but this was over the course of 10 hours so no harm to the sleep pattern last night.

So I thought I would get on the scale just to see what an impact yesterday had on me. lol....my scale died. It's a sign it was working on Tuesday. Sheesh had a few glasses of wine and now it is pouting.

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I agree too, @ahoy_m8.....Lyre's must be good. How does Lyres compare to Seedlip? I was reading Seedlip is something like 5 calories. That's sounding exciting. It would be cool if there was a free tasting event somewhere where we could sample all of this (expensive) stuff :).

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    joallana wrote: »
    5/5: 2
    5/7: 5
    5/9: 1.5
    5/14: 3
    5/21: 1

Feeling good about 23 AF days out of 28! I was getting discouraged last week because I hadn’t seen movement on the scale in 2 weeks, but I managed to stick with Proxies when I was feeling cranky and having a wine craving, and it paid off in a 2 lb “whoosh” over the past 2 days. Back up half a lb today but I’ll take the W.

Speaking of home renos, although I’m not quite at the level of installing cabinet or cabinet fronts myself (wow!), I am feeling very proud of myself for fully replacing one of the screens on my screened-in porch! It’s had a hole in it that has been kept together by that really terrible looking “screen tape” for 4 years, and I finally got tired of how ugly it looked and replaced the entire thing after learning how to do it from a (very judgmental) Home Depot employee! The judgment did really annoy me—like yes, I know it’s simple now, but it’s hard when you start off at the level of not even knowing how screens work!

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    Hello Ladies! Random AF lurker girl dropping in to say hi again …. Glad to hear the Proxies taste good. I mixed up a great mocktail for my mom and her health aide and myself yesterday as I was making a pre memorial day dinner in case anyone likes rhubarb and has access to Lyre’s AF stuff. I confess I eyeballed it (I may get tossed off of MFP for that, I know!) but I mixed them in appx 5oz pours in a wine glass with a single largeish ice cube starting with everything cold. 1 1/2 to 2 shots Lyre’s Italian spritz (it is hot pink in color and tastes very much like rhubarb to me), top with spindrift grapefruit seltzer (or pellegrino pampellmouse, or blood orange also would be good), sliced strawberries (I was being fancy so perched one on the edge of each glass) and stir everything with a stalk of rhubarb (sliced up like a celery stick). If you have some bitters at home toss in a shake of those. (I actually had rhubarb and sea salt bitters which is unlikely anyone would have, but these were in the local gourmet store and set me off on this kick) If you like your drinks sweeter you can sweeten with simple syrup, but I like my drinks to taste like adult beverages and this really did sort of, because it was bitter. If you wanted it to have more of a kick you could use a bit of a very strong ginger beer (Goyas is the strongest I have found) as a float.
    Enjoy the weekend! And I hope you don’t mind that I continue to read your gardening and beverage tips from afar!

👍
  • MissMay
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    @dawnbgethealthy ouchie on the “foreign object in eye”. That sounds properly miserable. Glad you’re on the mend though!

@MissMay I LOVE getting rid of stuff! I grew up in a house stuffed full of tchotchkes so I don’t have a lot of excess things in my own home. However, I know what I have so when I do a clean out I can zero in on the things earmarked to go.

Ugh had 3 glasses of wine yesterday, and of course my weight is up. I was good with moderation all week and blew it yesterday. Well, time to regroup and start over. Need a clean slate for June!

👍