Control binge eating?

Let me start by saying I am type 2 diabetic with mitigating circumstances.
In 2013 I went in for a routine ERCP to remove a gallstone. The doctor nicked my pancreas, it got infected with C-difficle. It developed into necrotizing pancreatitis. 4 months in the hospital fighting the infection and losing 50% of the function of my pancreas. Within a year, no matter what I ate, I would have major pancreatitis attacks, losing more of my pancreas.
So, all that to say, that's how I became a diabetic and only have 10% of a working pancreas now.
I have to be careful of the amount of carbs I have, as well as a very low fat diet to control both conditions.
So, here's where I'm at now. Because of the pancreatitis attacks, my weight has gone up and down the scale. I did weigh 215, then it went to 125, then 150 then 125. I am now at 168, and would like to be at 140-150.
The last 4 months, I have tried so hard at remaining on my eating plan, but I have been binge eating a lot.
I tell myself, well, I don't see the doctor for another 3 months, so I'll straighten up starting on Monday.
If there are any ex-binge eaters out there, how have you been able to control it? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Binge eating...yeah I've had that issue in the past. Not in quite a while, though.

My solution was exceptional nutrition. I mean, hitting all my macros and I also track potassium, calcium, iron, sodium, and saturated fat.

Basically, tons of fresh produce (well, not tons, but at a minimum 500g a day) and then fish, chicken, and on rare occasion some higher fat meat. I don't have to watch fats other than saturated, but I do have to watch salt so I have a whole bunch of meals that I eat to hit all my goals.

Eating enough and getting sufficient nutrition on a regular schedule was the answer for me. That and keeping processed carbs low.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2022
    Binge eating...yeah I've had that issue in the past. Not in quite a while, though.

My solution was exceptional nutrition. I mean, hitting all my macros and I also track potassium, calcium, iron, sodium, and saturated fat.

Basically, tons of fresh produce (well, not tons, but at a minimum 500g a day) and then fish, chicken, and on rare occasion some higher fat meat. I don't have to watch fats other than saturated, but I do have to watch salt so I have a whole bunch of meals that I eat to hit all my goals.

Eating enough and getting sufficient nutrition on a regular schedule was the answer for me. That and keeping processed carbs low.

Thanks so much for the insights. I do only eat chicken and fish. The occasional burger because like I said, I had issues with too much fat.
    You say 500g of produce a day. Could you give me an example of what you would have in a day, produce wise? I track calories, carbs, fib, fat and protein. Any other macros I should be watching?
  • kermit124
    kermit124 Posts: 13 Member
    It happens to me around 8pm. Sometimes even a banana can be a one-way ticket to binge town! It helps me to brush my teeth after I’ve ended my day with a piece of vegan dark chocolate (70% or higher). I also find it helpful to fast 12:8 and have my last meal be a big bowl of nutrient-rich goodness around 7pm. Cereal with oat milk is my downfall! Eating only half a cup is against my religion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Thanks so much for the insights. I do only eat chicken and fish. The occasional burger because like I said, I had issues with too much fat.
    You say 500g of produce a day. Could you give me an example of what you would have in a day, produce wise? I track calories, carbs, fib, fat and protein. Any other macros I should be watching?

4-6 cup (handful) servings of fresh whole fruit and/or vegetables. I count beans, too. Fiber is important, so I don't drink my fruit and vegetables.

Just whatever you like...corn doesn't count! (It's a grain :) )
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Former binge eater, here. The single thing that has helped me the most is not over-restricting.

Totally on board with what @cmriverside is saying about nutrition as well. In addition to macros, though, the total calories make a difference to me. If my nutrition is good (sufficient fiber, protein, fat), I can tolerate undereating (too much deficit) for a few days but beyond that, I am a binge waiting to happen. Honestly, calorie counting has helped me so much because without it, when it was time to cut I would cut too hard and set up the binge-restrict boomerang. No fun. Calorie counting helps me maintain a deficit small enough to be stable and sustainable and eliminate the wild fluctuation.

You have been through a terrible experience! All sympathy to you. It sounds like maintaining a small and steady deficit would be beneficial for a couple reasons in your case. ((hugs))
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    My lightbulb moment came when I realized my anxiety connection to binges. When I’m under a lot of stress, my anxiety increases . The more stress the more bingeing. My solution, which of course isn’t for everyone, is to manage anxiety by reducing stress as much as possible. That includes anti anxiety medication.
  • judyvalentine10
    kermit124 wrote: »
    It happens to me around 8pm. Sometimes even a banana can be a one-way ticket to binge town! It helps me to brush my teeth after I’ve ended my day with a piece of vegan dark chocolate (70% or higher). I also find it helpful to fast 12:8 and have my last meal be a big bowl of nutrient-rich goodness around 7pm. Cereal with oat milk is my downfall! Eating only half a cup is against my religion.

Being diabetic, I can't really fast, I have to have regular meals to keep my blood sugar stable. I have been experimenting with eating each meal a bit later in order to curb the evening pig fest.
  • judyvalentine10
    edited June 2022
    Thanks everyone for your insights and comments.
    I have counted calories and carbs since the cows came home, I am an old pro at that. Unfortunately, when I binge, all that good work goes out the window.
    So, my doctor isn't worried about my weight. I don't like where I'm at, but she just wants me to make sure my blood sugar(A1C) is around 6.8-7%. It will never be at the non-diabetic level because of the whole pancreas issue.
    So, I will focus on more varied and healthy eating plan. There is no junk food in my house right now (that is my biggest problem/binge).
    So as addicts the world around say, One day at a time.
    I wish you all well in your journeys.
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    I’m a former binge eater too, although everyone’s interpretation of what a binge eater is may differ. After about 30 years plus of trying different things to control my binge/disordered eating, I decided to try abstinence as an alternative to moderation. For me it worked. Been maintaining a 90lb+ weight loss for over 7 years, and during these 7 years, I could count on one hand how many binges I’ve had, and none of these have been in the last 5 years or so. It’s definitely possible to recover from binge eating, it’s just a matter of finding the best way forward for you. Good luck.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Former binge eater here. What worked for me, was..

1) getting a pre-diabetes diagnosis, and going on a brilliant programme for it. It really shook me up and woke me up about what damage I was causing to myself.

2) (as a result of that) keeping added sugar below 30g a day, and starchy carbs to below 7 a day. Not being afraid of good fats and eating more protein, it all means I'm not getting blood sugar lows.

3) going to bed earlier, sleeping more.

4) as others have said, really focusing on getting good nutrition into myself. I have been lucky enough to work with a very good nutritionalist and a very good medical herbalist, and both have guided me through small changes to eating for nutrition, rather than eating primarily for weight loss, (and therefore by default adding to the blame, shame, restriction/rebellion cycle). Turns out, that when I am actually getting enough and high quality nutrition, I feel very little need to binge. Despite being the most cynical person about it, I do think that part of the binge behaviour for me was my body trying to get nutrients. I have IBS and i don't think i was absorbing what i was eating. I now also take a number of specific vitamin and supplements.

Get a good nutritionalist, that's my best advice for you.
  • judyvalentine10
    Lots of great information to look at. Thanks so much.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    I tend to binge. What's worked for me is to have lots of healthier options to binge around me, instead of junk food. I keep a lot of pre-made salads around, berries. I freeze a lot of berries and buy frozen blueberries as my ice cream substitute. Love anti-oxidants. I eat a lot of salad and veg because I can binge on that for volume and not throw my calorie count out the window. After chewing on veg for a while, my jaw gets tired and I don't want to eat anything else any more. It can get expensive and may not be an option for those who have limited access to veg or on a limited budget. I try to keep chopped or deboned grilled chicken around. I like it with tomato soup or beef or chicken broth. I eat the chicken skin. Some say not to but life would suck if you don't eat the skin or salt your food.

I also watch videos with old school bodybuilder Ronnie Coleman on YouTube. He goes really extreme in getting a lot of lean calories in his body to support his monster workouts. I'm not saying do what he does, but it is interesting how bodybuilders adapt their meals to get lean calories in and you can adapt that in moderation to your lifestyle if you choose to. I also like watching people try to eat and workout like the Rock. Although people make fun of bodybuilders, they are a dedicated bunch of people who put their bodies through extremes of strain and deprivation to win a small trophy. There's a lot to learn from what they do. I don't recommend that you do what they do, but rather just learn the concepts that they are using and adapt them to your lifestyle.

There is no experience more miserable than that of a wrestler, boxer or bodybuilder cutting weight to win their respective competition. If you don't need the result right away the way that they do, you can adapt their methods in a more sensible way to achieve less extreme goals. And boy do these guys and girls binge after their fight or competition is over. :)
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    up the calories while maintaining deficit. too much restriction = binge