How many times should I eat eggs on week?

Options

How many times should I eat eggs on week? 14 votes

Once
14%
Ellienz1trunkschan90 2 votes
Twice
14%
rayleroy27AquaMeow 2 votes
3 times
71%
allie_00pawnurmarcfrankiesgirliecathcarrdusspiriteagle99skellyc74DFW_Tomz6jv4rrmdy9bhtn65nzjTeaganPJ 10 votes

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    If I eat an omelette, that is 3 eggs right there (something I do once every few weeks)

In summer I often have 2 hard boiled eggs with a salad meal - once a week or so.

Curried egg sandwich from time to time.

So my answer, on how many eggs I do eat, is probably, on average, 1 or 2 per week.

How many should one eat? - for most people, no particular number, a long as your overall diet is reasonably balanced nutritiously

Same answer as for any random food.

Therefore I did not vote.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    With certain health conditions (or familial risks), it may be desirable to limit dietary cholesterol. For most people, that's not a major issue. Getting good overall nutrition, on average, is more important.

The number of eggs to eat? Not an answerable question. If you need to limit cholesterol because of familial hypercholesterolemia or something like that, it's the total cholesterol intake that matters, not the number of eggs as such.

If you don't have that kind of \ risk, just get enough protein, adequate fat (with good balance of monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, saturated; and of Omega-3/Omega-6, ideally), plenty of colorful veggies/fruits for micronutrients and fiber . . . and don't worry about counting eggs.

The poll is odd. Some people eat eggs daily, but you stop the options at 3 times a week. Some people eat eggs daily, often more than one egg each day. You also don't give any indication of how many eggs per time: If I eat a 3-egg omelet, is that 3 times or one time per week? 🤷‍♀️

I don't think I average more than half a dozen eggs most months, though it varies. That's not because I think they're bad for me, it's because I just don't love them enough to eat more of them.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    If you don't like eggs: don't eat them at all. If you like eggs, eat them as often as you want.

I have scrambled eggs for breakfast 1-2 times a week. And I often eat 1-2 hard boiled eggs on other days.

If your doctor has advised you to cut back on certain foods (for a health related concern) then perhaps you can ask your doc for less vague guidelines, or for a referral to a dietician who specializes in your health condition?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Dmohamed93 wrote: »
    I just asked that cause it has high cholesterol
    And my doctor said to me don’t eat so much so I don’t know the quality should I eat
    And I thought any one can add a new option on this poll that’s my first time in here sorry guys
    that’ll
    And thank you for your comments

If your doctor told you to eat fewer eggs only because your blood cholesterol is high, but you have zero family history of high cholesterol (especially if none among non-overweight relatives), I'd suggest asking your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian to help you improve your eating habits in ways that will help you. Actually, I'd maybe suggest that even more so if you do have that kind of family history.

Others are right: If you need to limit dietary cholesterol, then limiting dietary cholesterol would be the goal (and your MFP food diary can be a help in that, as long as you're careful to choose food entries from the database that have accurate cholesterol numbers). Just counting eggs could leave you still getting high dietary cholesterol from other sources, y'know?

Most doctors have very limited nutritional education. They rely on generalities and rules of thumb, and may not be up to date on recent nutritional research. A registered dietitian would be the right professional to consult, if you have specialized medical-diet needs, IMO.
  • upcyclist
    upcyclist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the "as many as you want" option - yeah, it's too bad we can't add our own answers on the MFP forum ;)

I'd be curious as to exactly what your doc meant by "high cholesterol". If he means 200+ or 250+, most of the docs that stay current are now on the total cholesterol to LDL ratio bandwagon. Personally, I tell my doctor (my ratio is right at 5, but I'm 250+) that if he can tell me I have more high risk factors for heart disease I'll start caring lol. I'm medium-ish weight (5'11", 178#, BMI just barely <25), moderately active (nearly 800 miles on the bike this year plus some swimming & weights), blood pressure is fine, etc.

Back to eggs, I see more of them in my future. I came back to MFP after not really using it the first time, to track my sodium intake, and figured I'd look at macros while I'm here to make sure I'm getting enough protein for my lifestyle. Short version: I'm not. Time for some hard-boiled egg snacks, Cholula Chipotle to the rescue! ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Dmohamed93 wrote: »
    I just asked that cause it has high cholesterol
    And my doctor said to me don’t eat so much so I don’t know the quality should I eat
    And I thought any one can add a new option on this poll that’s my first time in here sorry guys
    that’ll
    And thank you for your comments

What are your HDL and LDL numbers?
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol does not lead to high blood cholesterol, eating saturated fat does. I just read a study the other day that stated that moderate consumption of eggs (up to one egg per day) actually resulted in lower risk of heart disease. Your doctor needs to get up to date on the latest guidance on nutrition. Eggs are healthy and full of good nutrients like Omega 3 that are good for heart health.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Old Dr. Thinking. Limit of one egg per day, including the eggs in bread, casseroles, etc. Then the medical community decided that’s really not right. Some Doctors, etc. took that to mean maybe one a day, but don’t worry about the eggs used in cooking. Others thought it meant 2 eggs some days is fine. Others had their own ideas. I believe they all agree the yolk has the cholesterol, while the white is fine to eat unlimited.
    The problem is, we’re all individuals. Foods affect us the way they affect US!
    My answer, which is worth absolutely nothing. Use all the eggs you want to cook bread, etc. 2 eggs for a meal occasionally is fine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Ellienz1 wrote: »
    Go vegan!

being pedantic here - but wouldn't Go vegan! mean the answer is none?

wasn't a choice, though.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been eating one egg each day, for more than two years now. And everything is good!

Barring a sensitivity to dietary cholesterol (about 10% of the population has it), I think that you can eat eggs like everything else in moderation, without special limits or set amounts. Cheers. C:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For the vast majority of people, dietary cholesterol has no correlation to blood level serum levels. This is a quite old way of thinking. Your liver produces cholesterol as it is a necessary nutrient...when you consume more dietary cholesterol your liver produces less...when you consume less dietary cholesterol your liver produces more.

High consumption of saturated fats, being over fat, and lack of physical activity are all more relevant factors to high LDL cholesterol.
  • tuffguy312
    tuffguy312 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 2 fried eggs, over easy, literally every morning for over 20 years. I'm 68 years old and have never had an issue.