US peeps - Which state is ME?

Options
13»

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

*hides* i grew up near Herr's Chips and my neighbors were Amish. they used to drag race their buggies down our street... while drunk. it's a good show.
    [/quote]

Google def doesn't tell you stuff like this :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

oh yeah, it's ... more lively than you would think. LOL. mind you, if you really want a laugh, google "town names in Lancaster County PA"
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I misspelled it. I just use the term as an endearing way. my family is all from Pa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyltucky

Ahh, fair enough. It is first cited in a 1942 Popeye cartoon - bonkers!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

That would be the part of PA between Philly and Pittsburgh, and most PA people won't argue with you on that.

*hides* i grew up near Herr's Chips and my neighbors were Amish. they used to drag race their buggies down our street... while drunk. it's a good show.

I grew up in York and went to school in Lancaster...were we neighbors...We def used to provide as a cab for the neighboring Amish kid' who would get drunk, we'd drive him home and then stash his car in my friend's barn. This kid also grew pot in the tobacco field because it wasn't as tall as the tobacco so you couldn't see it...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maine and saw that as "maine", not "me".

It beautiful here. I moved up here 5 years ago from the city in Massachusetts.
    Now I have clean air, mountains, rivers, trees, and lakes instead of concrete and crime rates.
    And if you go for a drive right as the sun is coming up you have a good chance of seeing a moose.
  • shoppie
    Options
    All of out states have two letter abbreviations for the post office. Both letters should be capitalized so people know it is Maine and not me. That leads to our first conflict- when you see I :heart: NY they are talking about the city not the state, which is also abbreviated NY. Then you have LA which is Louisiana and not to be confused with L.A. Los Angeles; and DC, as in Washington DC which is not a state at all. It's our way of keeping foreigners confused, sometimes it confused us too. :laugh:

Well I'm glad it isn't just me for sure. I did think NYPD/ LAPD when I was trying to think of examples but then I realised those are just abbreviations. But LA abbreviating its name like a state when actually its just a city doesn't help too much! At least NY is a city and a state!

This stuff is more confusing than you mgiht think to someone from a country with no states, just cities.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Google def doesn't tell you stuff like this :bigsmile:

oh yeah, it's ... more lively than you would think. LOL. mind you, if you really want a laugh, google "town names in Lancaster County PA"

I used to baby sit for people in Blue Ball, my best friend's dad owned a town of property in Bird-in-Hand and the BEST place to go on picnics was in Intercourse....I love the Mennonites/Amish who were terrible at naming things...
  • shoppie
    Options
    I'm in Maine and saw that as "maine", not "me".

It beautiful here. I moved up here 5 years ago from the city in Massachusetts.
    Now I have clean air, mountains, rivers, trees, and lakes instead of concrete and crime rates.
    And if you go for a drive right as the sun is coming up you have a good chance of seeing a moose.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

It sounds beautiful! I never made it to Maine, but I have been to the East we just didn't make it further North than New York (state!) and our only other US trip was totally over the other side in California...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I read it at "me" but I knew it stood for Maine.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Hey how many lbs in a stone?
    Ounces in a cup?

8 oz in a cup

i believe a stone is 8.5 lbs? i always have to google that when i write in Potterverse!

ummmm nope wrong and wrong

we don't use the measurement cup because we weigh stuff.... and a stone is 14lbs.....
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I read MO as misery.

Don't we all....

It depends on where you put the emphasis. I'm a Missourian and I pronounce it Mi ZER ee not MI zer ee.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I read MO as misery.

Don't we all....

It depends on where you put the emphasis. I'm a Missourian and I pronounce it Mi ZER ee not MI zer ee.
    I believe is properly pronounced Mi Zur ah

And, how did this thread elicit 3 pages of responses?
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14 lbs actually, its even in my sig!

Why pencil tukey???

Do you honestly not find this stuff interesting? I do!

Philly and Pittsburgh are on opposite sides of the states, they're the only major cities in the state, the rest of PA is mostly small cities/towns, farm lands/factories, all-in-all it's a little hick. Kentucky is also pretty hick, it's essentially a mocking term, but we (people from PA) know it's totally true.

We do this in Indiana, too. I grew up in a small town called Pierceton and we called it Pierce-tucky. We also did it for Larwill (Lar-tucky).

I find it hilarious that Kentucky gets such a bad rep all over the country, haha!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I live in Southeast Indiana. The region is known as Kentuckiana. And yes, Kentucky gets a bad rap, but I must admit it is a beautiful state.
  • Emalyn
    Options
    I'm from Maine, and I saw "ME" as Maine as well. But that's because I see the abbreviation everywhere I go!

I don't think it's too cold here, and in the summer sometimes it's too hot for me. I was born here, so maybe I'm just used to the cold, lol. Or maybe I should move to Scotland. :P I love it here.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm also from Maine. To put a whole 'nother spin on the abbreviations confusion, we have the twin cities of Lewiston and Auburn that are referred to as L/A. As a Mainer who originally came from an area further north, I'd never even heard that until I went to college and a bunch of us thought this one guy was from LA California until someone set us straight.

This really is a beautiful state, especially this time of year when the leaves are starting to turn and the air is crisp. Winter is definitely tough some years but it's more the snow that's an issue than actual cold temperatures. We compare it to folks who live in the really warm climates in the south. They live in air conditioning, have it in the cars and stores and only really have to deal with the heat when they're between buldings/transportation. Here in the winter, we do about the same - houses, cars and shops have heat so you just have to deal with the cold for a brief time when you're outside. I say the snow (and ice too) is the biggest issue becuase you have find a place to put it (shovel, plow, snowblow, etc) which can be tough in winters like last year when we had feet and feet of it. And of course we have to drive in it which can be very hazardous.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    so do you read it as 'me' or do you immediately see 'Maine' as soon as you see the letters cos you know what it stands for so well?

If it is in caps, then yes, I always read it as Maine. I think that has a lot to do with what part of the country you are from though. I live in New England, so ME is nearby.