Need help - gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Here you go - they’re not sugar free or anything but not nearly as full of sugar as a usual cake or muffin. Makes 12-16 depending on the size of muffin tin:

Sugar (Caster) 100 g
    Egg (Egg) 2 large,
    Skimmed Milk 150 ml,
    Baking Powder 15 grams,
    Sunflower Oil 50g
    Apple 1 medium, peeled, cored and finely chopped
    Raisins 80 gram,
    spelt wholemeal flour 250 g

V simple to make, mix all dry ingredients in one bowl (including apple and raisins). Mix wet ingredients in another bowl, combine, and spoon into muffin cases. It’s quite a wet mixture. Cook at 175 for c20 mins or until lightly browned.

I’ve experimented with adding cinnamon or vanilla, and I’ve used cherries instead of raisins. The spelt flour is high fibre and I find it takes longer for me to digest so I stay full longer. They do freeze and defrost, they’re not high in fat so can be a bit dry when defrosted but warmed up quickly in the microwave or oven, they’re yummy. Enjoy! 😀

Just wanted to say that if you live somewhere that caster sugar (extra fine granulated sugar) isn't readily available, or you don't want to pay a premium for it, regular granulated sugar should work fine in muffins. They substitute 1:1 when you:re measuring by weight (100 g).
  • TMHoy
    TMHoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!
    Here you go - they’re not sugar free or anything but not nearly as full of sugar as a usual cake or muffin. Makes 12-16 depending on the size of muffin tin:

Sugar (Caster) 100 g
    Egg (Egg) 2 large,
    Skimmed Milk 150 ml,
    Baking Powder 15 grams,
    Sunflower Oil 50g
    Apple 1 medium, peeled, cored and finely chopped
    Raisins 80 gram,
    spelt wholemeal flour 250 g

V simple to make, mix all dry ingredients in one bowl (including apple and raisins). Mix wet ingredients in another bowl, combine, and spoon into muffin cases. It’s quite a wet mixture. Cook at 175 for c20 mins or until lightly browned.

I’ve experimented with adding cinnamon or vanilla, and I’ve used cherries instead of raisins. The spelt flour is high fibre and I find it takes longer for me to digest so I stay full longer. They do freeze and defrost, they’re not high in fat so can be a bit dry when defrosted but warmed up quickly in the microwave or oven, they’re yummy. Enjoy! 😀

• TMHoy
    Options
    Yes!! Thank you very much. I am also wanting not just lower calorie, lower sugar, but something that satiates my hunger for awhile and is tasty. These are great ideas.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TMHoy wrote: »
    Hello! I lost a lot of weight before, so I expect up and down. But a progressive down instead of up makes me happy!!

As always, my sticking point is the afternoons. This is where I break down. I don't know what to snack on -- in the past, it was berries and yogurt. With maybe a little honey as a treat. I'm always stuck on savory snacks.

If the implication is that you want savory-ish snack ideas:
    * 2% fat string cheese
    * light Babybel cheese
    * hard-boiled eggs
    * pickled or marinated hard-boiled eggs (they keep longer pickled, and can be spiced/herbed up to taste)
    * crispy chickpeas (commercial or homemade - can be spiced/flavored), crispy lentils (ditto), crispy broad beans (I get commercial in varied flavors), manageable calorie savory crackers with flavored chevre or labneh (which is yogurt that's been drained, basically)
    * dry-roasted soybeans (also come in flavors)
    * jerky
    * seasoned marinated mushrooms
    * various kinds of spicy/flavored pickled vegetables
    * black bean tortilla chips (slightly fewer calories than corn chips, but a bit more protein)
    * cottage cheese with herbs or other savory flavorings added
    * cooked whole grains (including oatmeal) with savory seasonings
    * hearty-flavored miso broth or meat broth with veggies
    * . . . .

Personally, I think less about whether a snack is hyper-low in calories, vs. just being filling, reasonably calorie efficient, and a good contributor in some way to my all-day nutrition goals.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thank you - the worst part is I thought I was doing ok and only in the last few weeks have I come to realize I am not ok. Cookies, candy, ice cream. McDonald's, Taco Bell, Chipotle. It's like I just decided to throw it all out the window. I'm going to try to make some small changes, like prepping my lunch, planning for dinners. The biggest change is quitting junk.

I don't bring foods I can't moderate into the house. While this is a simple concept, it took a lot of trial and error. For example, I've learned that I can't moderate chocolate BARS, but I can moderate chocolate CHIPS.

The more junk (hyperpalatable) food I eat, the more I want, because I'm not getting what I need and my brain is confused. So I make it a priority to eat meals and snacks that have the right macro balance for me. Fiber and bulk is also very important for my satiety.

Planning is very important to me. I always have the ingredients for satiating and quick breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and I plan dinners. When the supermarket flyers arrive, I see what's on sale or inspiring and plan around that.

One thing I loved about working from home is that I could prep dinner for the crockpot at lunch time and it would be ready at dinner time. Crockpot meals tend to freeze well, too. I can eat the same meal all week, but my OH likes more variety, so I'd plan to have no more than two meals from one dish and freeze the leftovers for me to have for lunch at a later date.

Here's a recent thread with a lot of slow cooker ideas:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10872443/no-stove-or-oven-need-meal-suggestions

On that thread I link to my recent post extolling the convenience of rotisserie chicken. I get one every week and do lots of different things with it, as detailed in my post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    My current favorite savory snack is a rice cake with reduced fat cream cheese, capers, and smoked salmon.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/what-are-capers/

"...Capers add a bright, briny burst of flavor to savory dishes."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've successfully avoided fast food for the last week or so. It helps that my husband came down with covid - I really can't go anywhere. Luckily I don't have it. But it's forced me to cook at home. I've had some sweets, but I consider it a giant win not eating fast food. I've lost some weight. A few pounds which is so encouraging. And I've really increased my movement. Working out in the mornings (which is usual for me) but also going on walks throughout the day. Thanks for the support!!

It's not a snack - at least not a food snack! - or eating strategy, but if the bolded is working for you, you might get some additional ideas for adding daily life movement from this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • TMHoy
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yeah, I figured as much!

---
    Just wanted to say that if you live somewhere that caster sugar (extra fine granulated sugar) isn't readily available, or you don't want to pay a premium for it, regular granulated sugar should work fine in muffins. They substitute 1:1 when you:re measuring by weight (100 g).

• TMHoy
    Options
    Thank you, this is great!!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've successfully avoided fast food for the last week or so. It helps that my husband came down with covid - I really can't go anywhere. Luckily I don't have it. But it's forced me to cook at home. I've had some sweets, but I consider it a giant win not eating fast food. I've lost some weight. A few pounds which is so encouraging. And I've really increased my movement. Working out in the mornings (which is usual for me) but also going on walks throughout the day. Thanks for the support!!

It's not a snack - at least not a food snack! - or eating strategy, but if the bolded is working for you, you might get some additional ideas for adding daily life movement from this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

• age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    You know what you need to do.
    You can do it!

My thoughts for you:
    Start with
    1) throw away the ‘crap’ (your word; not mine)
    2) stop buying the ‘crap’

Then see how things go. Making too many changes all at once may be too challenging and not sustainable.

After a month or so, make another change like increase vegetable consumption.

You can do this!!!!
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Anyway, I'm posting here to be accountable and also hoping for words of encouragement along with the hard words about what I need to do. Tips of course are appreciated. The one thing I can think of that is a small change, I think I can do - is to stop buying crap food. Stop buying licorice, chocolate, etc.

Thanks everyone. :'(

Stand back from your thoughts and feelings that crave high calorie food. They are not the whole of you. Give yourself positive messages.

"I'm going to treat myself better for one day."
    "Not now, not today."
    "Walk away -- I'm going to have the food I prepared."
    "I can do this for one day."
    Or other positive messages.

You're right, get rid of trigger food, the sweets with empty calories that drive up your weight. You will probably have cravings for a week or two, but those cravings will pass.

Prepare other food and have it on hand at home. Snacks you enjoy, food with high protein that will keep you full longer, something to munch on that is not high calorie, treats like a hot tea or coffee you enjoy instead of food with hundreds of calories.

Good luck. You did this before, so you can do it again. Be a best friend to yourself.