Need help with exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, with your target being 1450 before workout calories added, what goal does that calorie target represent, i.e. what target weekly weight loss?

If you weren't doing any exercise, 1K calories in is still too low, and with all that exercise it's far too low. Eat more. You don't have to eat back every workout calorie if you don't want to, and see my earlier video posted about why those calorie estimates may be inflated, but you should definitely be eating back a decent portion of those workout calories.
  • admiralamott
    admiralamott Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, with your target being 1450 before workout calories added, what goal does that calorie target represent, i.e. what target weekly weight loss?

If you weren't doing any exercise, 1K calories in is still too low, and with all that exercise it's far too low. Eat more. You don't have to eat back every workout calorie if you don't want to, and see my earlier video posted about why those calorie estimates may be inflated, but you should definitely be eating back a decent portion of those workout calories.

Thank you, honestly I don't really have a target weight loss, its just my doctor said I need to start watching my weight! (Which i agree with....) I'm not sure what amount of weight loss would be healthy? 1kg a week? 0.5kg? I think I remember aiming for that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BTW - you mention an FTP test.....

If your bike is estimating calories based on power (watts) that should be an extremely accurate net calorie estimate which you can be entirely confident about.

The only potential fly in the ointment is if your bike does some silly maths with the numbers (like the Wattbikes I use in my gym!) but you can check with some simple maths. Average watts per hour x 3.6 = your net cals.
    e.g. 200 watt average for an hour would be 720 net cals.

If you are estimating your walking from the database here beware that's gross calories but you can use the net calorie option from this calculator https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

It's a concern that you describe meeting a very ordinary calorie goal of 2,000 cals as "insane" - it really isn't at all. It's often stated as an average calorie intake for the mythical average female (who wouldn't be exercising as much as you).

Even an old fart like me maintains between 2,500 (a day with no exercise) and 5,000 (a day with an unusually long ride).

Don't try to rush your weight loss, if a poor choice for most people and especially for anyone serious about exercise which I'm guessing you are if you are doing FTP tests.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you, honestly I don't really have a target weight loss, its just my doctor said I need to start watching my weight! (Which i agree with....) I'm not sure what amount of weight loss would be healthy? 1kg a week? 0.5kg? I think I remember aiming for that.

"Watch" your weight, or lose some weight?

If you're not very overweight, which "watch your weight" implies to me, then 0.5% of your current weight per week would be a good maximum loss-rate target, especially for someone with athletic goals.

Unless you're well over 100kg, 1kg per week is too fast, and even 0.5kg could be aggressive if you have relatively little weight to lose.

If you don't currently have a target loss rate, how did you get the 1450 goal? How tall are you, what do you weigh now?

(You don't have to say, but there's really no reason to be shy about it here, either. Earlier, I told you I weigh 128 pounds at 5'5". Since you're using kg, that's 58kg at 165cm. I used to weigh 83kg.)
  • admiralamott
    admiralamott Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you're not very overweight, which "watch your weight" implies to me, then 0.5% of your current weight per week would be a good maximum loss-rate target, especially for someone with athletic goals.

Unless you're well over 100kg, 1kg per week is too fast, and even 0.5kg could be aggressive if you have relatively little weight to lose.

If you don't currently have a target loss rate, how did you get the 1450 goal? How tall are you, what do you weigh now?

(You don't have to say, but there's really no reason to be shy about it here, either. Earlier, I told you I weigh 128 pounds at 5'5". Since you're using kg, that's 58kg at 165cm. I used to weigh 83kg.)

I'm 5'6 and 179 pounds which is about 81kg. So yeah I need to lose some :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

From a general "being sensible" perspective, you'd probably be OK losing half a kilogram per week to start, at your current weight. From the perspective of wanting to gain muscle as you lose weight - and including the idea that your current weight is probably not an immediate health threat, plus I'm guessing you're fairly young (compared to me at 66 anyway!), a quarter kilogram per week would probably serve your athletic ambitions better, though weight loss would be slower obviously.

When you get to maybe roughly 20 pounds above a sensible goal weight, I'd suggest the quarter kg as a maximum for sure, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

What's your goal weight?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • bethhl
    bethhl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat the calories I've burned. I just don't trust that I'm truly burning that many. There are some days when I eat some or all of them. If I'm actually hungry I eat more. If I only think I'm hungry I try not to.

You have to find what works for you.