How do i stop eating whoppers?

Options

Replies

• willsonlegalconsulting
    Options
    You deserve so much better than Whoppers. Fast food is not real food. It's garbage. You and your body deserve better than garbage. You deserve to eat whole fresh foods.
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You deserve so much better than Whoppers. Fast food is not real food. It's garbage. You and your body deserve better than garbage. You deserve to eat whole fresh foods.

Fast food is made to sell, usually high calorie, loaded with fat and salt for taste, lots of white bread stripped of nutrition, easy to overeat, not good for someone like me trying to control my weight, blood pressure and cholesterol -- plus I object to the way factory farms treat the animals they turn into burgers and chicken nuggets.

However, it wasn't clear from the OP's post if the whopper was fast food or candy. There's a candy product with the same name.
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options

This is not true.

Please, explain your thought process here.
  • BuddhaBellys
    BuddhaBellys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I can't help you with cigars ... I hate the things ... but I feel you with regards to the Whoppers. For me, the Golden Arches were like a homing beacon; if I was in my car alone, it was as if they had a tractor beam and pulled me into the drive-thru. Next thing I knew, I was in a post-gluttony fog, and there were empty wrappers in my car, which I needed to dispose of before getting home.

For me, it was simply a matter of realising that I was going there mindlessly. I never left the house thinking "I need some McD's!"; it just happened as I passed one on the road. Becoming mindful of that behaviour woke me up and led me to stop.

Whoppers are not from McDonalds, there actually Burger King I think.

• BuddhaBellys
    BuddhaBellys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ManlyMutt wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I can't help you with cigars ... I hate the things ... but I feel you with regards to the Whoppers. For me, the Golden Arches were like a homing beacon; if I was in my car alone, it was as if they had a tractor beam and pulled me into the drive-thru. Next thing I knew, I was in a post-gluttony fog, and there were empty wrappers in my car, which I needed to dispose of before getting home.

For me, it was simply a matter of realising that I was going there mindlessly. I never left the house thinking "I need some McD's!"; it just happened as I passed one on the road. Becoming mindful of that behaviour woke me up and led me to stop.

There are plenty of other behavioural change tactics. In fact, I'm in the middle of reading "How to Change" by Katy Milkman, and somewhere in there she talked about how she (or one of her colleagues?) cut the cheeseburger habit. I'll have to dig back, but I think it was a matter of allowing herself to have the cheeseburger after the completion of a particularly dreaded task (monthly visit to an ornery relative, I believe in this case). Allowing herself the pleasure (the cheeseburger) but only occasionally, and in conjunction with dealing with a pain (the nasty aunt), she was able to stop her previous impulsive nature of grabbing a cheeseburger whenever she had passed a shop.

Once a month I get good beef from our local butcher, and make myself a really good cheeseburger. I'm now immune to the pull of the drive-thru tractor beam.

Good luck!

The rewarding yourself with food makes the food taste MUCH better too! But the task has to be legit like you said.. dealing with a difficult relative. Some people are like oh I made it through another day of work guess I'll reward myself with a cheeseburger. Definitely an occasional thing or, sometimes I will make a trade off like I did today.. I really wanted some pan-seared mandu so I did an extra hour session at the gym to earn the calories for em.. One of my favorite is when I want a 10 inch brick oven pizza and I fast all day so I can have it.. I think about it all day and even when hunger starting striking I told myself "Don't give in because you have a sweet pizza waiting for you" I had that pizza dozens of times before but it never tasted as good as it did that day because I earned it.
    Fasting all day, then rewarding yourself with food sounds like an eating disorder waiting to happen.

• JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Portion them out. Separate them as soon as you buy them. I portion my snacks into little baggies as soon as I bring them home. That way, I know exactly how many I eat. A little tip that helps me is, I don't need to eat a full serving to be satisfied. Half of a serving is fine for me. You have to discipline yourself to be strong and stick with it. It's just about setting a pattern, getting into the happen. Wane yourself off of it slowly. You also can eat them only to reward yourself for reaching a goal, like losing 2 pounds or going a week without eating any Whoppers. You'll enjoy them more if you don't eat them every day.

You don't need a whole serving...just resonated with me. I have lost 164 pounds and my scale hasn't budged in a month. I buy my snacks already portioned and sometimes, I just eat the portion regardless of whether I am satisfied, because the calories fit and I have been doing this a year and a half.............. talk about dumb a-ha moments................thank you
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am having my whopper. I take my low carb 45 calorie flatbread and just throw the burger and stuff on there. I tell them no mayonnasise but I get a small package and put a little on there. I do the same for pizza, rake all the toppings off on this low carb flatbread. I think it is the bread that gets to me, it works good for me.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I hear your pain, I was in the habit of eating 2 (just2) Mrs. Dunster's donut holes every morning!! I know that is not a lot but I don't usually eat that stuff because it could get out of control very easy!! When I go shopping and go to grab a bag I tell myself no you do not need it and walk away. Sometimes are harder than others. If I can just make it past that and get out of the store!! I am on my second week w/o any and do not plan on getting more anytime soon. You can do this, just keep trying...you CAN!!

I was doing the same with pumpkin donut at Dunkin Donuts. Geez, every day had to have one. I gave it up completely, it took control of me, dont need that.
  • lizedupee
    lizedupee Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    James Clear on habit formation or habit breaking says - 1. Make them invisible. Hide the whoppers, put them in the basement or attic with the spiders, or don't have them in the house at all! 2. Make it unattractive. Don't be all, "I need that whopper goodness!" Instead, say "I am having a healthy snack to further my goals (and go get a healthy snack.) 3. Make it difficult. Where are your whoppers? Can you get them farther away from you? Maybe leaving them at the store so you have to go get them when you want them. 4. Make it unsatisfying. Do something you don't like when you want a whopper to break the positive association. Or, tell someone you want to stop and tell them whenever you cave to that malted chocolate ball.

With cigars, I suggest cold turkey. I call it the stop and suffer method. You 1. stop the addictive thing and 2. suffer until you don't anymore. As a 15-year clean former drug addict, 5 years off cigarettes, it's really the only method that I've seen work for me and most of my friends.
  • Philliesfan21
    Philliesfan21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can just get the patties or get it without the bun.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    To take a page from glassyo's book, how about taking the chocolate Whoppers and putting them on the burger Whopper and taking a big bite? Two birds with one stone...but then you'll have to conquer cigars.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    To take a page from glassyo's book, how about taking the chocolate Whoppers and putting them on the burger Whopper and taking a big bite? Two birds with one stone...but then you'll have to conquer cigars.

Ok, personally, here's the thing with that. Whoppers are pretty yum. Chocolate is pretty yum. In fact, chocolate makes everything better so I would have no problem with that. :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Whoppers - the candy - are just like me….
    Sweet on the outside…poison on the inside.*

*stolen from a Simpsons episode, but still true.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It takes everything in me to just keep driving. I will literally debate with myself until I finally pass it. Just think of how you will feel after you finish it. The guilt, the self-shaming and the calories should be a motivator. If your that hungry, go to the store first and grab something you can look forward to cooking yourself. You can absolutely make your own version so why not make that a goal for yourself to try and duplicate it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    plattef71 wrote: »
    It takes everything in me to just keep driving. I will literally debate with myself until I finally pass it. Just think of how you will feel after you finish it. The guilt, the self-shaming and the calories should be a motivator. If your that hungry, go to the store first and grab something you can look forward to cooking yourself. You can absolutely make your own version so why not make that a goal for yourself to try and duplicate it.

So would getting a good therapist. It's not healthy to feel guilt or shame over something like eating food.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Burger King whopper - good
    Burger King whopper jr. - whopper perfected. Ratio is just a little different, better. Jr. Fits my calories, bet it fits yours.
    Whoppers candy - problem. Don’t buy them.
    Cigars. Bring one to my house. Smoke it in front of me. Watch me upchuck down to my toenails. Repeat as often as needed to stop problem.