Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    plattef71 wrote: »
    It takes everything in me to just keep driving. I will literally debate with myself until I finally pass it. Just think of how you will feel after you finish it. The guilt, the self-shaming and the calories should be a motivator. If your that hungry, go to the store first and grab something you can look forward to cooking yourself. You can absolutely make your own version so why not make that a goal for yourself to try and duplicate it.

Just curious: If you duplicate it, i.e., make your own version of the same thing, why is it better than the original?

A burger with stuff on it is not evil. Yeah, the whopper is moderately high calorie, but that's about size, and mayo, mostly - maybe some extra oil or butter or something, I dunno. A burger of the same size made at home in the same way isn't mysteriously better because homemade.

I don't get the "guilt and self-shaming" part of it at all. It's just food. OP can fit it in his calories (daily, or less often than now - whatever), get a Whopper Jr for fewer calories, cut it out of his eating altogether, make a burger at home, choose to eat only organic brussels sprouts (or whatever) instead . . . guilt and shame are optional.

It's just a food choice. Why all the drama, from OP and others?

Because this is MFP 🤷‍♀️

• Chef_Barbell
    Options
    plattef71 wrote: »
    It takes everything in me to just keep driving. I will literally debate with myself until I finally pass it. Just think of how you will feel after you finish it. The guilt, the self-shaming and the calories should be a motivator. If your that hungry, go to the store first and grab something you can look forward to cooking yourself. You can absolutely make your own version so why not make that a goal for yourself to try and duplicate it.

Food shouldn't make you feel guilty. It's just food... and Whoppers are only 600ish calories, so like @AnnPT77 said, I don't understand the drama lol but this is MFP 😂
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did OP every clarify if it was Whoppers

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

Nope--never returned. We're in the dark

Also, joined Sett 14th and this was the first and last post. Why do people DO that??
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    We're programmed to assign moral judgments to food. Good Girl or Bad Boy. Clean or Dirty Eating. We are not good or bad based upon our food choices. Guilty pleasures and Cheat Days. We should never feel guilt or shame about our food.

We are not good girls, because we lose weight. All of this holds us captive and can lead to a lifetime of dieting. Taking the morality out of food helps you rid yourself of food anxiety. I read these dilemmas with compassion. It's not their fault that they've fallen victim to slick marketing. We all have, to some degree.

It might take years to deprogram yourself. Self-talk that impairs your freedom to choose any food can result in rebound weight gain with friends. Ask me how I know. I had to clear the decks and stop talking about food in such childish terms. I am not good, because I've lost weight. I am a mass of soft programmable technology. The brain is only part of that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

Also, joined Sett 14th and this was the first and last post. Why do people DO that??

I wish I knew... seems to be an influx of them around here lately.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I call you Chief Barbell. In our culture, when you tell everyone what you're going to do, the brain somehow thinks you've already done it. Over the years, how many heartfelt answers have been given to someone who comes with struggles. They pour their heart out. We never hear from them ever again. The pressure valve was released.

Some of them are really struggling and you wonder what happened to them. You invest time into their life and they're gone. I still think about a dear man who lost his spouse, because he lost weight. We offer our perspectives. There might be someone else out there who will read and need it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I call you Chief Barbell. In our culture, when you tell everyone what you're going to do, the brain somehow thinks you've already done it. Over the years, how many heartfelt answers have been given to someone who comes with struggles. They pour their heart out. We never hear from them ever again. The pressure valve was released.

Some of them are really struggling and you wonder what happened to them. You invest time into their life and they're gone. I still think about a dear man who lost his spouse, because he lost weight. We offer our perspectives. There might be someone else out there who will read and need it.

I truly agree that the advice given hopefully will help other people. But I'm no Chief.
  • nurkowskimarcus
    nurkowskimarcus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the candy or from Burger King?
  • Librarylizard2009
    Librarylizard2009 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For the cigars, think of your future before you have one, think of your family and loved ones, so many people die of lung cancer and a lot of times the cause is the smoke you inhale while you have these cigars. My grandma died of lung cancer, because she smoked everyday, I pray this won’t be the cause of your death
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

gf9bwal3vao7.jpg

or Whoppers?

qatsz7jnsymb.jpg

That "pressure valve release" theory may have some relevance.

Also, I think sometimes the collective "we" can come on a little stronger than a first-time poster is ready for. This is not a dig at them, or us (generally) - or at least not intended as such.

There are people who need to have information delivered gently, or in bite-sized chunks geared to where they are in the moment, in order to absorb it. Others like stark facts, delivered tough-love style. And everything in between. On top of that, some arrive here having been abused or bullied on other social media, and it's easy to inadvertently touch those bruises, make them cringe.

We long-time MFP-ers are not mostly psychologists, and we don't know much about the people who post, besides. I truly believe that most people here genuinely want to help new folks. But we all have different communication styles, beliefs, knowledge levels, experience.

Mismatches will happen, drive some new folks away.

Some folks may stay and read, never post again (can tell if this might be so from the Community profile dates). Some may stay on the platform, avoid the Community. We don't know.

In the OP's case, it's only been 2 days - may not be gone forever. Also, it was an odd post, in some ways - possible troll? (I don't like to think that, but . . . .).
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I'm convinced MFP hires people to create fake profiles, post something dumb like this to garner up activity in the forums, and just to let chaos ensue. Maybe they think keeping the forums active with new posts keeps us happy with new things to reply to. I have seen many many posts that seem kind of stupid/attention grabbing like this, where the profile was created the day the person posted, they only post once, then never again. And I think the Whopper vs Whopper is on purpose, because that also causes more replies for people asking for clarification. Conspiracy!!! :open_mouth:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I'm convinced MFP hires people to create fake profiles, post something dumb like this to garner up activity in the forums, and just to let chaos ensue. Maybe they think keeping the forums active with new posts keeps us happy with new things to reply to. I have seen many many posts that seem kind of stupid/attention grabbing like this, where the profile was created the day the person posted, they only post once, then never again. And I think the Whopper vs Whopper is on purpose, because that also causes more replies for people asking for clarification. Conspiracy!!! :open_mouth:

I co sign this theory 😂
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Interesting.......you very well could be right because it happens frequently. A member that posts only once the day they join, and then don't log in to MFP again is suspect. Wasting people's time would make the members trying to help a bit put out. Not a good strategy. It's MFP's fault that the forums are so boring. They wanted it that way. Things used to be interesting and fun. Now it's glitches galore. Sorry MFP, but the changes have not been for the better.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Interesting.......you very well could be right because it happens frequently. A member that posts only once the day they join, and then don't log in to MFP again is suspect. Wasting people's time would make the members trying to help a bit put out. Not a good strategy. It's MFP's fault that the forums are so boring. They wanted it that way. Things used to be interesting and fun. Now it's glitches galore. Sorry MFP, but the changes have not been for the better.

So much this... miss the old days.
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell Copy that. 👍 My mind reads your name that way. I have a lot of Chiefs in my life.
  • Chef_Barbell
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Not gonna do it....
  • Hiawassee88
    edited September 2022
    Options
    When someone can barely speak, but knows how to do a noble survey on the same day....oy vey. I miss the hints and 'how many new uses for vinegar'. I ate a bunch of carrots and took a dump. Next. I gotta go for a hike, now.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    My theory was it was @NorthCascades because of the accepted challenge in another thread :)

But, honestly, a lot of these questions/polls just come off as people just being so new to weight loss and not knowing a damned thing and I'd rather they ask questions (that, yes, spark debate and conversation) so we all have more reasons to be bitchy and funny and helpful and off topic :) than not.

And I love zombie threads, dammit!