So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and work in admissions at a private high school. Texas is so big, that you'll get all kinds of answers from us about our awesome state. We have a lot of Texas pride. You'll hear terms like "Everything is Bigger in Texas" or "Don't Mess with Texas". We're known not only for wearing cowboy boots and hats, but also our strong Mexican American heritage here. Our food is amazing (you'll get some of the best BBQ, Mexican food, and seafood here). Lots of history in our state, so come on down and visit sometime.
  • ryanfeltz
    Options
    Another Texas resident.... It has been ungodly hot this summer with NO RAIN to speak of.....I am in software sales. The great thing about Texas is you can see all kinds of weather because of the size.... while it is snowing in the panhandle you can be on a beach in Corpus
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The down side is there is NO night life for families. Unless you go to bed at 9 p.m. there isn't much to do past then. The town all but shuts down at 10-11pm on a Saturday night! haha. I'm not big in to bars otherwise I could go hang out in a section of town just north of downtown called Broad Ripple Village. Broad Ripple is where all the affluent post Indiana University grads all flock to when they move to Indianapolis to find jobs. It is focused toward the 20-30something age group and frankly, I'm not too keen on hanging out in those kinds of environments. I just don't really "fit in" i guess. haha.

Move down here! Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY being represented!

I live in a weird part of the state (IN) that is called Kentuckiana. Seriously, it makes no sense unless you live here. We stole all the hills from the North and created hills and knobs (yes, "knobs" - get your minds out of the gutter :wink: ) for beautiful drives. I'm in the Ohio River Valley area, which means we get about 70-90% humidity all the time with all seasons - which you may experience all in the same week. We've also got a good music scene that's constantly on the rise, along with retstaurants, museums, etc. In Louisville, we have a six-story bat (Louisville Slugger!) that can be seen from different parts of the city, and probably from planes, too. We're a huge hub for college sports with U of L, UK, WKU, IU, and Butler mong others, being followed with pure passion.

Great place to visit! (Just don't look for me, I'm moving to CO in two weeks :laugh: )
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey as well. The Jersey Shore in fact. I worked in the town they film the show in, Seaside Heights. I fished there this weekend, but that's not me.

I'm more a fan of the Jersey Shore's proudest son, Frankie 'The Answer' Edgar, the UFC Lightweight Champion of the world.

Oh, I forgot to mention it, I work as a police officer when the fishing isn't good.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    MIssouri here!!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    New York here :happy:
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    FROM MICHIGAN, WORK IN THE MAKRKETNG DEPATMENT OF FIVE CAR DEALERSHIPS,SIT DOWN JOB. WINTERS IN THE D (DETROIT) ARE HARSH, THE FALL WEATHER IS WONDER FALL THE APPLE ORCHARDS ARE GREAT. SUMMERS CAN GET TO LIKE 108 BUT THAT IS LIKE THE MOST YOU WILL GET MICHIGAN IS GREAT,,,,OTHER THEN THE NEW GOV. AND THE UNEMPLOYMENT,,:)
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Another Texas resident.... It has been ungodly hot this summer with NO RAIN to speak of.....I am in software sales. The great thing about Texas is you can see all kinds of weather because of the size.... while it is snowing in the panhandle you can be on a beach in Corpus

Same here I'm from Texas and its been horribly hot this year. It's gotten up to 112 on some days. I did alot of running on treadmill due to the heat. I'm so happy that it is in the 90's again and can do some outdoor activity.....I'm a Registered Nurse.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I am from New York state.

Not the city. I'm in what is called upstate. Everyone else not not in NYC or long island is upstate. I sit right along the southern part of Pa. but still upstate, crazy huh? I also do not carry a gun, own a 9mm and I am not in gang. Most people from out of state assume I am full of it, and that I live in a giant city, carry a gun, and have to take a taxi or subway everyplace I go. I also do not eat my pretzels out of carts on the street, and no one is pushing around hotdogs. I do still hate the red socks and pretty much don't talk about the Mets, as is required by New York common law.

I'm an IT professional, I am a network administrator for a k-12 school district. Its great having a staff, and working with kids and teachers, but still being able to manage projects.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Maryland about 50 minutes from the Nation's Capital.

I'm placed in a great little spot in MD....10 minutes from West Virginia and 10 minutes from Pennsylvania...opposite directions of course.

My town has the Prime Outlets....people come from far and wide to shop.

And yes...we have awesome seafood and you haven't lived till you have picked crabs and drank beer all night!!!! :bigsmile:
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am from Oregon. Oregon has every variety of weather/climate you could wish for somewhere in it.

I have a food cart in Downtown Portland (known for food carts). I make the anti-dieters nemesis every time I help a customer. I sell bacon wrapped chicken wings, bacon wrapped corn dogs, giant burgers and sausages with toppings nobody's thought of before ;D If you ever visit Portland Oregon, I can guarantee food carts are on the list! Seeing the pods (large groups of food carts) is pretty impressive upon first sight. You can try food from all over the world all on a single corner!

This is so cool!!! I went to PSU and loved to get some meals from the carts! I don't think I ever had some of your food, as I have to eat gluten free, but I've probably splashed past you!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    south Florida here

If you're into big, eccentric cities, visit Miami.
    If you're into historic towns and at the same time drag queens and bar hopping, visit Key West. Or if you're gay and want to spend time in an area that has a large gay population and lots of fun and support.
    If you're into camping, camp in April or November in the Keys - Bahia Honda's nice. Or camp in central Florida, Juniper Springs or something up that way.
    If you want posh, pretentious BS come visit Palm Beach and Boca Raton.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    ♥Texas♥
  • ltnangel_92
    Options
    Im in Maryland, the weather is alright,-just that it has started raining a lately. Its fairly calm where I live. But DC is so close, so if at any point people want to go out- Dc is the best place to go with all the restaurants and other stuff.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    south Florida here
    I spent quite a bit of growing up in south Florida. My father was stationed at Homestead for two separate tours. We left after Andrew.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Another New Yorker here. I was born in Brooklyn but now I live out on Long Island and I love it! :love: There is always so much to do. On the East end of the Island we have a lot of farms and vineyards. Fall is always an exciting time as there are a lot of Fall festivals out East.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia. It's hot, lately it doesn't rain, and most of the stereotypes about the people are true!

bear in mind I have no idea what a stereotypical person from Georgia is like!! :laugh:
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ♥Texas♥

What is Texas like? Are there actually cowboys and ranches there?? :blushing: :laugh:
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been in Colorado for 17 years now. Most of the population lives at the base of the mountains, not in the mountains. The eastern half of the state is flat and brown and gets some tornados. The best part of living here? The weather!! 300 days of sunshine per year. The temps aren't too extreme, and most of the time any snow we get melts by noon. Of course, the weather is MUCH different in the mountains. Skiing is an hour drive from Denver. A couple of things I miss? The closeness of everything you want to drive to and/or see (like the east coast) and I miss the ocean.

As far as people go? Not as uptight as the people I met and lived with on the east coast, but not as laid back as the people I lived with and met on the west coast. Pretty conservative politically.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I live in San Diego, one of the most southern and western metropolitan cities in our country. The weather here is perpetually in the 70s/80s and sunny. In the mornings and some evenings we get fog that rolls in from the ocean. It is amazing that I haven't turned on a heater or air conditioner in the last 6 months! The downside is that the attire here is usually shorts/tank tops/skirts, which I don't feel that comfortable in. Oh, and bathing suits. That's why I'm here. We have a mix of ethnicity in our city; I teach prekindergarten and my class is diverse. I have Caucasian students, Puerto Rican, Chineese, Middle-Eastern, and Russian students in my class.

San Diego has a lot of professionals, students (we have a few universities), surfers, outdoor enthusiasts, and military. There is a huge Naval base here, as well as a Marine Corps base a little north of the city. Outdoor activities include swimming, surfing, paddle boarding (stand-up surfboard that you use a long-handled paddle to propel yourself with), mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, tennis, running, and winter sports like skiing and snow boarding (an hour east are some mountains).

I've also lived in Oregon (rains a lot but the outdoor scenery makes it SOOOOO worth it!) I went to graduate school in Chicago (humidity/thunder storms in summer, snow and ice in winter.)

While San Diego is ideal, I miss the northwest.
    PS Great thread!!!!