Sarcopenia & bodybuilding

Options
Keen to share BB tips for those like me over 60 who is maintaining a weight training regime alongside diet control (protein) to try to delay sarcopenia
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Do you have some health condition that makes sarcopenia more likely? If not, being athletically active (especially that strength exercise) and getting overall good nutrition (not just protein, but adequate fats, fiber, micros) should be the reasonable route, IMO.

I'm not a bodybuilder, don't do as much strength exercise as I should, but am very active, don't have obvious signs of sarcopenia yet at age 66. (My profile photo is me at age 60; I'm female.) I have friends in their 70s and even 80s who are still doing really well, too. In particular, a 76-year-old female friend who's been lifting regularly since her late 30s is in amazing condition, really strong, but is not a bodybuilder and doesn't have that appearance . . . but you'd think she was decades younger to look at her, see what she does routinely.

Have you read the Prot-Age Study Group recommendation report? There are some helpful details in there on the topic of protein intake in our age group, specifically, including specific recommendations for some specialized cases.

Full text link: https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

That's about all I've got for suggestions, but you might try posting in the Gaining Weight and Body Building part of the MFP Community, too. I know there are some 60+ folks here who are more weight training focused than I am. (I'm mostly a rower, on-water when I can, machine when I must; and do some cycling for variety. I only strength train for a limited time in my rowing off-season, usually, TBH. It's sub-optimal, I know.)

Best wishes for progress/success!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Almost and though I've seen reduction in strength, my muscle mass hasn't really reduced by much compared to my 40's. I lift everyday focusing on one body part a day doing about 16 sets+ per bodypart. And though I don't lift really heavy any more, I still focus on good muscle contraction and tension throughout my reps.
    I have lots of friends past 60 who do well and don't suffer from sarcopenia because they are regularly lifting and are on a decent diet to support it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sarcopeniaman
    Sarcopeniaman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Do you have some health condition that makes sarcopenia more likely? If not, being athletically active (especially that strength exercise) and getting overall good nutrition (not just protein, but adequate fats, fiber, micros) should be the reasonable route, IMO.

I'm not a bodybuilder, don't do as much strength exercise as I should, but am very active, don't have obvious signs of sarcopenia yet at age 66. (My profile photo is me at age 60; I'm female.) I have friends in their 70s and even 80s who are still doing really well, too. In particular, a 76-year-old female friend who's been lifting regularly since her late 30s is in amazing condition, really strong, but is not a bodybuilder and doesn't have that appearance . . . but you'd think she was decades younger to look at her, see what she does routinely.

Have you read the Prot-Age Study Group recommendation report? There are some helpful details in there on the topic of protein intake in our age group, specifically, including specific recommendations for some specialized cases.

Full text link: https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

That's about all I've got for suggestions, but you might try posting in the Gaining Weight and Body Building part of the MFP Community, too. I know there are some 60+ folks here who are more weight training focused than I am. (I'm mostly a rower, on-water when I can, machine when I must; and do some cycling for variety. I only strength train for a limited time in my rowing off-season, usually, TBH. It's sub-optimal, I know.)

Best wishes for progress/success!

• Sarcopeniaman
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share Prot-Age review. Clearly protein intake level is key to support my weight training regime.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Very recently (within the past couple of months maybe?) Alan A. Aragon, Kevin D. Tipton, and Brad J. Schoenfeld put out a paper, "Age-related muscle anabolic resistance: inevitable or preventable?" that was, at least at the time, open-access and may be of interest to you, a pretty good dive into sarcopenia etc. If it's now behind a paywall or you can't find it, drop me a line & I can get a PDF copy to you.
  • Sarcopeniaman
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share this information. I’ll get back to you if I can’t obtain a copy to read
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share this information. I’ll get back to you if I can’t obtain a copy to read

Sounds good! Also, while this isn't what I was referencing earlier, I just stumbled across this; I realize obesity may not be an issue for you, but it still may be of interest? earlier this month, James Krieger published a research review on it as well:

Inflammation and metabolism: the role of adiposity in sarcopenic obesity
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/proceedings-of-the-nutrition-society/article/inflammation-and-metabolism-the-role-of-adiposity-in-sarcopenic-obesity/7D14E6172713E0A15C7BD60A7E65AE7A
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Those are both really good, useful links - thanks, Banx!