A serving is WHAT????

Options
Starting a space for the frustration when a “serving” is so ridiculously small it feels pointless.

I’ll start-
140 calories per serving sounds great until you realize it’s NINE CHIPS. Has anyone ever eaten just 9 chips????

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    LOL I actually have but it's with a whole bunch of different stuff in one sitting but, yeah, recommended serving sizes of some things sometimes suck out loud.

It's why I I like miniature foods! The quantity seems bigger.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownies sound great at 110 calories per serving...until you see it's 1/18th of the prepared box. That's barely enough to make a single mouthful. *sigh*
  • teelabrown7
    teelabrown7 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    A serving of crackers is 5 crackers.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Well sure .. if it's high in something, the way to make it sound healthy is to reduce the serving size to a healthy macro! ... Ignore that! Just eat as much as you want for your portion and do the math! ... A serving of carbohydrate is 15 grams.
  • Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Five crackers, one bite of brownie! A HALF A PICKLE!!!! I’m dying laughing- you are my people @Alatariel75 @teelabrown7 @nossmf
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds. Expecially Macadamia.
    Peanut butter, of course.
    Pasta and rice
    Cereals
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    On the flip side of that, I often am shocked at the LARGE serving size for some chocolate bars and products.
    I get good quality dark chocolate bars, and one or two squares at a time is perfect for me. The label on the bar usually says it contains about 2.5 servings. I get at least double out of it.

At Easter, my mom always buys me a Fannie May solid dark chocolate bunny. I dismember him and eat bunny hunks for weeks. The box says "serving size: half a bunny". Half a bunny? I'd get sick if I ate that much chocolate in one sitting.
  • KenC1952
    KenC1952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look at condiments, sauces and dressings. They will usually be a single tablespoon (ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressing) or a single teaspoon (almost all hot sauces). Who puts a single teaspoon of wing sauce on a plate of wings or in a bowl of soup? For me, with high blood pressure, the problem isn't the calories per serving it's the sodium.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Skyleen75 wrote: »
    Five crackers, one bite of brownie! A HALF A PICKLE!!!! I’m dying laughing- you are my people @Alatariel75 @teelabrown7 @nossmf

Yes! :D I HATE when a serving is a half of something or completely unrealistic. I also hate that the USDA lets them round down the amounts if it's less than 5. Also, bags that look like a small single serving but when you look it's something like 1.5 servings.... who is going to not eat that whole thing in that tiny bag? Just tell me the amount for the whole thing already.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite was an individually packaged muffin that had a serving size of 1/3 of the muffin. Who buys a muffin to split with two friends?
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Well sure .. if it's high in something, the way to make it sound healthy is to reduce the serving size to a healthy macro! ... Ignore that! Just eat as much as you want for your portion and do the math! ... A serving of carbohydrate is 15 grams.

In the US, servings sizes are dictated to food manufacturers by FDA, not something they just make up on their own. The only way a manufacturer can legally reduce the serving size is to reduce the size of the package. And if the package is small enough, they don't have to put the info on the package - just give you a contact number to call to get the information.

I love that a 'serving' of Vlassic pickles is half a pickle - because half a pickle is under 5 cal, so they can legally round it down to 0 calories, and that's a good selling point. Makes it look like pickles are a 0 calorie food.

Same with rounding - the regulations are very specific on how information on labels must be rounded. For me personally, I would put a 5 calorie food in the same category as one with 0 calories (negligible effect on my daily total). For pickles, there is a standard serving size (1oz) and pickles come in many shapes and sizes. Hence the 1/2 pickle serving size.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    56 grams of (dry) spaghetti. It's just pathetic.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from the FDA explaining some of the more recent changes:
    https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/food-serving-sizes-have-reality-check
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite was an individually packaged muffin that had a serving size of 1/3 of the muffin. Who buys a muffin to split with two friends?

At least you have some height with a muffin. 3 servings for a regular (as opposed to mini) Moonpie.