So American peeps - which state are you from and what do you

Options

Replies

• emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Alabama residents are obsessed with football. We are divided by University of Alabama fans or Auburn University fans. Makes for a fun fall as long as you keep it all in good fun! As a University of Alabama Fan we say "Roll Tide"!!!! Alabamians also like to go to church. It is a family thing, if you are not there on a Sunday, everyone will be calling to check up on you. They will take care of you in your time of need through tragedy or just small bumps in the road. I had surgery in June & was down for a few weeks, I still have frozen food in my freezer from my church family!!

I have to say that I think the state has come a long way on the racism front and I wish people would visit the state before they automatically think we are a bunch of dumb hicks that hate someone for the color of their skin. It is not the case at all!!

If you ever visit and someone says "Bless your heart" just know, it is not a compliment, it's the #1 southern insult. We can't be harsh even when we try!! haha

Only one problem with these statements.... obsessed is not a strong enough word.
    I love it down here and think your description is spot on.
    Not to mention one of my favorite things is going back to KY and saying Bless Your Heart to people.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm a Maryland girl too :bigsmile: I live close to and work in the city (Baltimore), but live in a rural area.
    I love that we get all 4 seasons, and yes... I also love that we get SNOW!
    I am a Paralegal and currently work in Estate Administration. It is interesting, but would love to find a job closer to my house... :)
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Born in Wisconsin, but have lived in AZ, MN, IA, MI, TX, IL and Kentucky for the last 5 years...and I must say, KY is a beautiful state with great people ! I work for a manufacturer in Sales and Marketing and travel a fair amount domestically and internationally.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Texan here! I am a legal assistant at a great firm

GOD BLESS TEXAS! Its hot in the summer and semi cold in the winter. Spring & Fall are perfect weather. The thing about Texas weather is it is consistent! lol

I love this great state.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My husband was in the military for 20 years, so we have lived all over. But we have been in Southern Nevada (short A in the middle) in the city of Las Vegas for about 11 years now. I absolutely love it here! The best things about living in Las Vegas are having something fun to do all the time and the mountains! I adore the desert landscape here. :)

Weather can be tough in the summer months, but you get used to the 100 + degree temps. It is supposed to hit 100 today, BTW. The rest of the year, the weather is really beautiful with almost no rain. When we do get a storm, it's a real novelty. So you can get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather just about every single day.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm in Louisiana. Born in New Orleans & raised in St. Bernard Parish. Currently living in Lafayette which is about 3 hours west of New Orleans (Stupid hurricane Katrina!) Even just being 3 hours away, everything is different here.

Food seems to be everything around where I have lived. Festivals celebrating specific foods are all throughout the year. Lots of musical diversity. Beautiful plantations to visit. Lots of history.

It's so funny to see movies where the people are supposed to be from the New Orleans area. We don't sound like that. We tend to not pronounce our R's. Ex: Hea instead of saying here. Be-ya instead of beer. TH's tend to get shortened too. Hence the Saint's song "Who Dat" lol

We're not all like what has been portrayed on TV whether it's the news or movies.

I work in the accounting office for an oilfield company. That whole BP disaster has been a nightmare reaching much further than has been covered in the news.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Timmy Hos! I grew up between Buffalo and Rochester, NY but now live in Virginia. I've also lived in Connecticut and Masschusetts. When I say I'm from NY, I like to clarify by saying, "the part of NY that's closer to Toronto than NYC" :laugh:

I used to use my hands and put them together in the shape of NY and then use my thumb for NYC; Rochester was about where my index and middle finger met; maybe saying that would have been easier!
  • heidiqt
    heidiqt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    from Seattle washington, LOVE IT Go Hawks. Live in Holland Michigan, which is the Western most part of the state, on the Lake. Beautiful here and most importantly Automotive Industry, the bread and butter that treats us quite well!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    True Alabama Girl!! It's not called "Alabama The Beautiful" for nothing! We have beautiful woodlands, white beaches and colorful fall mountains. The humidity is tough on some but if you live here long enough you get used to it. The whole state practically shuts down at the mere mention of snow but the kids love it because that usually means no school! I live in a small town that some might compare to Mayberry from the Andy Griffin Show. It has a "Main Street" with a courthouse in the middle of town and a drug store with a snack bar offering the best homemade milkshakes you have ever tasted. It is a close knit community where kids can be kids and I don't think I would want to live anywhere else.

Alabama residents are obsessed with football. We are divided by University of Alabama fans or Auburn University fans. Makes for a fun fall as long as you keep it all in good fun! As a University of Alabama Fan we say "Roll Tide"!!!! Alabamians also like to go to church. It is a family thing, if you are not there on a Sunday, everyone will be calling to check up on you. They will take care of you in your time of need through tragedy or just small bumps in the road. I had surgery in June & was down for a few weeks, I still have frozen food in my freezer from my church family!!

I have to say that I think the state has come a long way on the racism front and I wish people would visit the state before they automatically think we are a bunch of dumb hicks that hate someone for the color of their skin. It is not the case at all!!

If you ever visit and someone says "Bless your heart" just know, it is not a compliment, it's the #1 southern insult. We can't be harsh even when we try!! haha

I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years, before that I was a buyer for a major healthcare company.
    Hope I gave you a little better view of Alabama!

I, too, am from Alabama..the northern part of the state. This lady ^^ said everything about our great state there is to say! I don't need to add anything!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mississippi. I'm a Software Developer.

It's apparently the fattest of all states. I'm breaking from that mold. It gets hot here... then cold again.. then hot once more. Got some very fickle weather. It snows very rarely down here, and when it does it's usually only for an hour then quits and melts.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm currently residing in SW Louisiana and was born and raised in South Central Louisiana (Cajun country or Acadiana). The best thing I can say is that it is home for me...and the food is 2nd to none! Which is probably why I needed to join MFP!
    The worst thing is probably the weather. It is hot and humid 8-10 out of the 12 months and you have hurricane season in the middle of it. You just learn to deal with it. Although I do miss the seasonal weather from when I lived in KY a few years back.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Middle of the nation.............................Missouri......(MO)................................................................I know it's is not technically the middle but it feels that way...........................................
  • smscott87
    Options
    Louisiana here! a few miles north of Baton Rouge (the capitol). The best thing about the state: THE FOOD! Do not come to Louisiana thinking you will start a diet. It will not work.

We have two seasons: Hot & Cold with Hurricane season merged with the Hot season. We aren't how they portray Louisianians on TVs and movies. My friends and family shake our heads every time they get something wrong about Louisiana. We love our history and our food. If you want fun, come to Louisiana.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon. Very mild weather but we do have 4 seasons. We're also known for "Keeping Portland WEIRD!" (Check YouTube for scenes from "Portlandia" and you'll see what I mean...) It's gotta be the most vegan friendly place in the world, which is just one of the reasons I love it here.

I work in Criminal Justice, but if I told you where or what I do - I'd have to kill ya! LMAO
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This ishas been such an interesting read for me! :heart: I really love how passionate some of you are about your state, it definitely makes me want to see more of the States than I have! I do have a few more questions now though:

- someone mentioned Jersey shore - what is 'snooki' (yes I goggled it, it did not enlighten me but then I guess I have UK centric google??)
    - how on earth do you get hoosier state from indiana?? I had to google to find what hoosier meant!
    - how is missouri supposed to be pronounced? I thought it was mizz-or-eee-?
    - why do the New Yorkers hate the red sox?? What is with that? I was in NY when the red sox won the world series and you'd have thought the planet was being taken over or something...

Never going to Texas if its has loads of critters ARGH! ooh, mind you I'm now reading another post about the food, maybe I co0uld be persuaded :laugh: I had absolutely no idea the state name came from the term 'friend' that was really interesting!!

I'll be honest and say that Mississippi & Alabama were both states I mentally had pegged as racist so its good to hear that isn't true - probably hugely out of date (or from some historical thing randomly shoved at me at some point that has stuck!) Hoe can 'bless your heart' be an insult though?!?!

Nebraska sounds lovely - I am going to google that and find out where it is when I have finished reading

Utah snowed into JUNE??? OMG!!! :noway:

OMG and an Alabama person actually typing 'y'all' I AM SO EXCITED!! That is so quintessentially American to me but have never actually seen or heard it I don't think! :laugh:

I did giggle at Ohio's 4 seasons of summer and 3 varities of winter! :laugh: Probably not for me though!

Thanks so much for sharing your homes with me!

Someone asked where I am from - well originally I'm from Somerset which is in the South West of England and farming country. I then went to Birimingham to study which is central and lead me to have an irrational dislike of Alabama because when I lived abroad people kept asking me if I was from Alabama and I was very 'erm, no, Birmingham ENGLAND!!!'. I met my DH there and we settled in a suburb of London. Its about 30 mins from central London which is great as you have everything you could ever possibly want to do right on your doorstep, yet where I live is actually very green (I can't cope with being too far from greenery and DH is a city lad which is how we have ended up in this sort of halfway house!) The biggest negative about where I live is that it is a generally affluent area and honestly some people are *soooo* snobby. My accent vanished very quickly when we came here as I'd never have got a decent job with a broad farming country accent.

England in general does have rubbish weather, we just cannot seem to accept it and as usual have been whinging about the lack of 'summer' this year. The last good summer we had was 2006, we need to get over it and stop moaning. Oh wait. no, yes we do moan as much as people make out!! On the other hand, I had a very interesting chat with a guy at work once who has lived in the US, Australia and Singapore for significant chunks of his life but he says he loves England best (he is native Australian) as he think it is the most tolerant, accepting country he has ever visited (he is Asian culturally and also happens to be gay so has had a fair few problems in some places!!) - that made me feel really proud to be British :heart: I do like to think that in general we judge each person individually, but like any generalisation its just that, a generalisation.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Texas. The good? I feel slightly superior knowing that i can drive for 8 hours and still be in my home state. The bad? It gets so hot i swear it feels like birds spontaneously combust in the summer.

But really, what other state can you see desert, rolling hill country, large forests, lakes, rivers, AND the ocean? I'd never live anywhere else :)
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Alabama here!

The good - second most diverse eco-climate in the country - only California has us beat because we don't have a desert. Much too humid. Some of the prettiest beaches are in Gulf Shores.

The bad - corrupt government, racism, intolerance, rampant obesity, plummeting home values, THE HUMIDITY OH MY GOD THE HUMIDITY.

I'd move to North Carolina in a heartbeat! Or Colorado. Or California. I really hate Alabama!

That's not a very fair way to portray Alabama:huh: I have been down here for fall, part of winter, spring, and part of summer for 2 years now. The landscape is pretty. I visited NE alabama near Sand Rock and loved the environment. We went deer hunting, shot guns, and rode the horses over the fresh snow (yes I know how stereotypical that sounds). A lot of my friends down here are extremely in shape. Granted I am centered around Auburn University but I see people running all day, everyday, not to mention the people biking on the roads.
    The humidity isn't even that bad. I know it gets hot down here but the humidity down here isn't nearly as bad as the humidity I have to deal with up in KY.
    Plus while I have experienced some racist and some intolerance most people are not like that.:angry: Almost everyone down here is friendly and extremely cordial.:flowerforyou: You can find some true southern gentlemen down here as well as some southern belles so I guess some stereotypes are true. I think alabama is very nice.
    The only problem I have is that my accent has gotten thicker and my friends from KY start picking on me because I sound a little different but other than that I haven't had any major problems. :happy:

But you don't live here, right? Not day in/day out? I've lived here over 20 years, much more than your two. I grew up in Southern Indiana, on the banks of the Ohio, so I know how humid that part of the country can be. My high school didn't have air conditioning - oy! Alabama has them beat, in my opinion.

I live in Birmingham, the largest city in Alabama. The pollution is so bad that we have ozone alerts almost every day during the summer. I also live in the city limits - there are reports of break-ins every week in my neighborhood, which is one of the better neighborhoods in the city. Racism is still very much a part of the South, unfortunately. I'm looking for a new hairdresser right now because of the racial comments my last hairdresser (of 15 years!) made when I last saw her.

You live in a nice college town that is very different from Birmingham. My husband is an Auburn grad, War Eagle!

I'm progressive with a liberal slant, which automatically makes me a fish out of water in this state. You may not agree with me and that's fine, but remember that small college town life is very different from living in the city. btw - I agree that the natural areas are wonderful. My husband and I are avid backpackers and have hiked 171 miles of the Pinhoti Trail in Northeast Alabama - twice!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I'll be honest and say that Mississippi & Alabama were both states I mentally had pegged as racist so its good to hear that isn't true - probably hugely out of date (or from some historical thing randomly shoved at me at some point that has stuck!) Hoe can 'bless your heart' be an insult though?!?!

I usually mentally translate "bless your heart" as "oh, you poor, stupid person" Example:
    Me- "I'm at my wits end with Fiona" (my 6 year old)
    Husband's grandma "Bless your heart, she's just a sweet, stubborn thing"
    Translation: "You moron, how can you let a 6 year old get the better of you"

:bigsmile:
    England in general does have rubbish weather, we just cannot seem to accept it and as usual have been whinging about the lack of 'summer' this year. The last good summer we had was 2006, we need to get over it and stop moaning.

I love your weather! I'll trade with you! We lived in England (RAF Lakenheath, near Brandon in Suffolk) from December 2003-December 2007. Summer '06 *was* fantastic, but I loved the weather as a whole. I desperately miss living in England, I would give an arm and a leg if we could move back. The only thing I don't miss is the cost. The exchange rate was 2:1 when we lived there, so every time we did anything off base we had to remember we were paying twice as much as we thought.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The down side is there is NO night life for families. Unless you go to bed at 9 p.m. there isn't much to do past then. The town all but shuts down at 10-11pm on a Saturday night! haha. I'm not big in to bars otherwise I could go hang out in a section of town just north of downtown called Broad Ripple Village. Broad Ripple is where all the affluent post Indiana University grads all flock to when they move to Indianapolis to find jobs. It is focused toward the 20-30something age group and frankly, I'm not too keen on hanging out in those kinds of environments. I just don't really "fit in" i guess. haha.

Move down here! Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY being represented!

I live in a weird part of the state (IN) that is called Kentuckiana. Seriously, it makes no sense unless you live here. We stole all the hills from the North and created hills and knobs (yes, "knobs" - get your minds out of the gutter :wink: ) for beautiful drives. I'm in the Ohio River Valley area, which means we get about 70-90% humidity all the time with all seasons - which you may experience all in the same week. We've also got a good music scene that's constantly on the rise, along with retstaurants, museums, etc. In Louisville, we have a six-story bat (Louisville Slugger!) that can be seen from different parts of the city, and probably from planes, too. We're a huge hub for college sports with U of L, UK, WKU, IU, and Butler mong others, being followed with pure passion.

Great place to visit! (Just don't look for me, I'm moving to CO in two weeks :laugh: )
    I spent 8 years living in either Louisville or outside of Louisville (LaGrange)...miss it up there!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is almost like a state within itself. We have Tex Mex food that is SOOOOOOOO GOOD - but its so bad for you. In San Antonio, winters are great! You wear a jacket in the morning and in the afternoon you are in shorts. In the summer, we all spontaneously combust from the heat from HELL!!!!

SO much to do in San Antonio. A bad Mexican resturant will not last a month. A good mexican resturant will barely keep its doors open. You have to be GREAT and cheap to survive here! We have the river walk, the San Antonio Spurs, the Alamo and numerous landmarks to keep tourists happy.

SOOOOOOO true! Can't get much farther South or HOTTER:explode: or drier:laugh:

I, too, LOVE my REAL, AUTHENTIC mexican food! No chain restaurants! :laugh: