What's Your Occupation?

Options

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I'm a medical transcriptionist at local hospital, put 15 lbs on over last 10 years sitting all day.

:noway:
  • uscm91
    uscm91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    UPS Driver

Derek
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    I am a Registered Nurse- I work as a Traveler- which means I change jobs and residences every 3 months or so.

I am also a as-yet-to-be-printed Cookbook Author. I am stuck on what to call it. I have hundreds of people clamoring for me to get it printed, so I will really soon. Good food- which I am avoiding eating right now- because much of it is not friendly for my figure!!

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    I'm retired after 34 and half years at 3M, Imation,Kodak changed companys not buildings. I was a machine operator we coated microfilm. I've been retired for three years since Feb 14, 2009. So now I am a stay at home wife :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: I don't miss it one bit :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    I'm an elementary education student... hoping to teach first or second grade:flowerforyou:
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    I am an "Assistive Technology Consultant" for a university. I help to provide accommodations for students with disabilities using various technologies to give them equal access to course materials and facilities on campus. We are required by law to do this for any student with a recognized disability, but I work in a great environment with people who truly care about what they are doing and the reasons for which it must be done.

I left a very lucrative job as an IT manager for a prominent private medical practice to flee from the stressors of working for doctors and took a substantial cut in pay to do this but I have not regretted it for one minute in the three years since. Some portions of my job tend to be very routine but at the same time, with so many different students and all with individual needs, I get to be creative and try new things often. I spent most of my career dealing with computers and networks in closets and equipment rooms and being miserable for turning my childhood computer hobby into a "job" whereas now I'm perfectly content working directly with people all day while still getting to play with cool toys. :D

Most of what I do involves making various forms of media accessible for students with disabilities. Printed media (handouts, textbooks) will either be scanned and converted to text for screen readers, enlarged or color adjusted to increase visibility, or converted and reprinted in Braille. Converted text is also useful for students with learning disabilities and ADHD. Audio files can either be matched to synced subtitles or simply transcribed. Video is also captioned or transcribed. In rare cases, a voice-over verbal description can be recorded and embedded as a track to allow blind students to "see" what is being displayed on screen.

I also assist department web designers to make every reasonable attempt to ensure that people with disabilities have equal access to all web content, including supporting our large distance education program.

I love my job! :bigsmile:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Me (this is an oldie--I didn't write it):

POSITION :
    Mom, Mommy, Mama, Ma

JOB DESCRIPTION :
    Long term, team players needed, for challenging permanent work in an, often chaotic environment. Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call. Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in far away cities! Travel expenses not reimbursed. Extensive courier duties also required.

RESPONSIBILITIES :
    The rest of your life. Must be willing to be hated, at least temporarily, until someone needs $5. Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly. Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat in case, this time, the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf. Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers. Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects. Must have the ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks. Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment the next. Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices. Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product. Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.

POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION :
    None. Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE :
    None required unfortunately. On-the-job training offered on a continually exhausting basis.

WAGES AND COMPENSATION :
    Get this! You pay them! Offering frequent raises and bonuses. A balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption that college will help them become financially independent. When you die, you give them whatever is left. The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you actually enjoy it and wish you could only do more.

BENEFITS :
    While no health or dental insurance, no pension, no tuition reimbursement, no paid holidays and no stock options are offered; this job supplies limitless opportunities for personal growth and free hugs for life if you play your cards right.
  • Mette
    Mette Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm a vet. :smile:

Would love to be a stay at home mom - but I don't have any kids ! ! :laugh:

But I'm waiting for God to choose a very special one, just for me and my husband.

Wanning
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Oh i forgot to say that I have (had) another job that I'm not allowed to talk about on here because it's a PG-13 site. I don't do much selling anymore, though, due to some life circumstances. You could say that I sold "romance enhancement" products. :heart:
  • Mette
    Mette Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh i forgot to say that I have (had) another job that I'm not allowed to talk about on here because it's a PG-13 site. I don't do much selling anymore, though, due to some life circumstances. You could say that I sold "romance enhancement" products. :heart:

Ha ha - I'm loving it ! :laugh: :embarassed:
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    I have a second Job as a Mamography Technichian, YES I can check the girls for lumps :wink: I consider myself an Expert, a Proffesional of sorts, as I have done my part in the fight agains Breast cancer, because Early detection is KEY!!!

Save the boo-bies!
  • ErinD
    ErinD Posts: 14
    Options
    I work for me and do work for 2 non profit art groups here in Alberta and am the assistant producer of one of the biggest winter festivals in Edmonton The Silver Skate Festival. I am a work at home Mom to two boys that are 6 and 4.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Full time student, legal researcher, waiter and Muay Thai boxing instsructor.

Also have no social life!
  • TROUBLE2
    Options

do you use the bamboo chutes on your chins to make the bones stronger?
  • Starchaser
    Options

Absolutely not!

This technique is a western misinterpretation of a Thai practice.
    In rural areas Thais will kick banana trees repeatedly. The bark gets softer and more pliable as it is struck and is thereafter used to fashion pads and so on for kicking.

The problem with bamboo is it's not forgiving, and will not make bones stronger. Many think the bones are stronger but this is actually nerve damage. The result can only be when you get injured, you don't notice and the results can be disaterous!

Kicking a heavy punch bag or leather Thai pads over the years is plenty training to condition the shins. The bamboo stick technique is an attempt for a quick fix but it only ends up hurting you in the end!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i am a life manager,
    i manage the lives of some of the most important people in the world.
    i love my job.
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    i am a life manager,
    i manage the lives of some of the most important people in the world.
    i love my job.

I will allow you to manage my life then... manage away!
  • TROUBLE2
    Options

Absolutely not!

This technique is a western misinterpretation of a Thai practice.
    In rural areas Thais will kick banana trees repeatedly. The bark gets softer and more pliable as it is struck and is thereafter used to fashion pads and so on for kicking.

The problem with bamboo is it's not forgiving, and will not make bones stronger. Many think the bones are stronger but this is actually nerve damage. The result can only be when you get injured, you don't notice and the results can be disaterous!

Kicking a heavy punch bag or leather Thai pads over the years is plenty training to condition the shins. The bamboo stick technique is an attempt for a quick fix but it only ends up hurting you in the end!

not to mention Grosley disfiguring your shins... I am glad to hear your responce as I know a few guys who are into Thai boxing and they have done this... its discusting to see their poor shins...

I am into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, its more of ground control and I find it to be a serious workout... not to mention a great way to learn self defence since 90% of all altercations end up in a wrestling match.

I am glad you do not fit the majority of the Thai fighters I know...
  • Starchaser
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for BJJ. I see it as the ground-fighting Yin to Muay Thai's standup striking Yang.

I suppose this is why many MMA fighters combine them for competitions.

I'm glad I defy convention, but I owe a lot of that to my master Kru Johnston. His Kru was Arjarn Master Sken, so unlike many karate, TKD and other western martial arts schools, our lineage and link with the true masters is short and unbroken.

It makes for some really exciting action too since the standards are set so high!
  • TROUBLE2
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for BJJ. I see it as the ground-fighting Yin to Muay Thai's standup striking Yang.

I suppose this is why many MMA fighters combine them for competitions.

I'm glad I defy convention, but I owe a lot of that to my master Kru Johnston. His Kru was Arjarn Master Sken, so unlike many karate, TKD and other western martial arts schools, our lineage and link with the true masters is short and unbroken.

It makes for some really exciting action too since the standards are set so high!

That is why I chose to study Muay Thai Boxing after this summer, I just have not found a good place to learn, I gotta figure there are good places in Chicago, I just have not done enough research as to where to go, I heard from a couple of guys to be careful because some places have gotten away from Traditional training, and they are loosing some of their style... I want the liniage that you speak of... that is where I think most people forget that the training you recieve is only as complete as the training your master recieved. we should talk... I have many questions...