Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    I’m in decluttering mode and loving this thread and following it for motivation! Thank you for a great and meaningful thread! ❤️
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Hello everyone!
    I found this article online and I thought, as I did before, that it would be OK to post it in this thread.
    It mostly applies to moving and downsizing, but some of the recommendations can be used for general organization and house/apartment de-clutting.
    And if you don't care about the article, just drool looking at the picture of the house in the front page.
    Enjoy! G.

https://www.homesandgardens.com/life-design/decluttering-habits-to-steal-from-professional-organizers-for-downsizing
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    edited October 2022
    @Gisel2015 I liked this article. It's definitely geared toward moving, but there are still some great tips in there even if you're not.
  • Gisel2015
    @bobsburgersfan
    You are correct. Most of the articles about organization and de-clutering apply to "perfect conditions." Which most of us don't encounter, but the general idea and some little tips in between lines, can be very helpful. Just like a recipe, I choose what ingredients I like and have available and change the rest.
    Glad that you find the article helpful. I did too.
  • Gisel2015
    @BexB42

Anyone else overwhelmed with nostalgic stuff and want to let it go? I don't like letting the memories go, but the actual items are probably not as important as I think.

Yes, I do!! but my husband is worse. If I am going to donate or give away something that it was/is important to me, I want to be to a person or place where they take good care of it. My kids and their families have a different taste so I know that they will just keep things in a box, and all of my friends are as old and nostalgic as I am and trying to get rid of their stuff too.

Maybe a consignment store that buys things will do.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    BexB42 wrote: »
    Update: Still decluttering. I had a few months to recover my exhausted body between jobs and I mostly rested. I did a few decluttering days. Now, I realize I have more stuff than I thought. As a mother, I kept a lot of the kids' artwork, schoolwork, etc. I have decided to put them in separate totes, take them out with the boys and sort them out. Perhaps they may want some of it back, who knows? I have a lot of ideas and zero motivation, unfortunately. My dresser is my first task. I ordered a new one, filled it and stopped progress. My follow up stinks. So, New goal? Finish one project at a time!

Anyone else overwhelmed with nostalgic stuff and want to let it go? I don't like letting the memories go, but the actual items are probably not as important as I think.

You can take pictures of the work and create an album. Then, you can purge. I found that even my kids don't want their childhood art work. I saved some- but just enough to fit in a small storage box.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    In my house, 3/4 of the clutter actually has a designated place for it already, it's just a matter of getting my teenagers to actually put stuff away in the first place! If/when that happens, we'll be ready to ask questions about the remaining stuff not yet accounted for in terms of allocated storage.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Regarding Flylady! That is terrible to be spammed! I never joined her email list- I guess I'm lucky- but I look at her website sometimes. What a shame she sold out to spammers!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!