soooo um...is ANYBODY else freaking out about this?!

Options
SkateboardFi
SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/nasa-satellite-expected-to-hit-earth-this-week/2011/09/18/gIQARnpVdK_story.html

because i am. there's so many complications that could come with a satellie entering and hitting the earth. what if it hits a heavily populated city? what if it hits an ocean and causes a tsunami? am i overthinking it? this thing is 12,500 bloody tons!

Replies

• jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    how about that comet and that niburu thing?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    IMHO - you're totally over thinking it. Why stress so much over something you have no control over? It's like stressing over the weather... Do what you can to prepare just in case and just see what happens. Chances are just as good that it'll fall harmlessly to some unpopulated area or in the ocean where there's no one around and it won't cause any trouble.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Its all over next December... DUH! :yawn:
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You have no control over it so relax
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nope, I figure when my time is up, it's up, although getting hit by a satellite isn't a way I would think I could go, it's to small to cause a tsunami and I don't live near any oceans. Hitting a populated city could be very bad. I hadn't really thought anymore about it until I read your post, but still not worried.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Please do not worry, Please do not let it stress you out!!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Not that I'm a former Rocket Scientist or anything *cough* but whatever does survive reentry most likely will be too small for you to worry about. Unless, of course it's the off chance that it hits you right square in the head.

Meteors hit our atmosphere all the time. All we usually do is look up and go "ooooo, pretty!" :)
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    they expect it to break apart upon entry into the earth's atmosphere and expect most pieces to burn up so what hits the earth will be relatively small. The chance of it hitting you is at least 1 in a million.

My brother works for NASA and if there was a real danger, he would let us know.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Oh cool, I didn't know about this! Exciting!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You must live a charmed life cause most people I know have like 20 million other more pressing things to worry about (rent, health, job, family, etc.).
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I wasn't freaking out about it until you brought it to my attention!!!!!!!!! I was happy living in my little 'news-free' bubble! If anyone needs me, I'll be in the basement until Sunday!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wherever the real Donnie Darko is, I bet he is seeing some STRANGE things right now.

But in all seriousness-

Will it burn up a little as it enters the atmosphere like comets? Also, I imagine they are tracking that thing's every move. I would say there's no need for hyperventilation.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/nasa-satellite-expected-to-hit-earth-this-week/2011/09/18/gIQARnpVdK_story.html

because i am. there's so many complications that could come with a satellie entering and hitting the earth. what if it hits a heavily populated city? what if it hits an ocean and causes a tsunami? am i overthinking it? this thing is 12,500 bloody tons!

It is pounds, not tons. That is a HUGE difference
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda hoping some of it hits my house. I need a new roof.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Not a care about this in the world for me.
  • RockinHorseRanch
    Options
    awwwwwww I don't think it's going to hit me... If I did I would finish off the chocolate muffins..lol
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm totally not freaking out about it in any way.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard about it either, but it's not the kind of thing that freaks me out anyway. I like to worry about stupider, less significant things than that...well, okay I don't like to, but that's the way I'm made. I don't flinch thinking of bears when hiking, or the end of the world, or pandemics. It's the dumb things that get me all worked up.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    awwwwwww I don't think it's going to hit me... If I did I would finish off the chocolate muffins..lol

This was awesome. :laugh:
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    A tsunami?? It's an expected 1200 lbs that won't cause anything other then a ripples in the ocean.