What did you learn using MyFitnessPal that changed your habits?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Rizziekitty
    Rizziekitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SUGAR! There is sugar in everything! I did not realize how much sugar I was consuming while just avoiding things that were considered sweets. My family already has a pre-disposition for adult onset diabetes, and I've avoided it myself at 34 so far, but due to my previous 330 lbs, I attribute that to sheer dumb luck.

This app is very useful! I look at the sugar content in everything now and have traded out the worst offender, bread, and got one with a higher fiber content with no added sugars.

I even found that the natural sugars in fruits and veggies that come paired with their own fiber actually make me feel better than the occasional sweets ever did, and I get to eat them whenever I want.

Also I was undereating, which would lead to carb binges almost every day. Now I eat a big 5-600 calorie high protein breakfast and I'm full all day. I sometimes just snack for lunch on a small homemade yogurt or oatmeal loaded with fiber and berries and eat dinner with the family, which is usually the big meal of the day. Knowing how many calories I was eating allowed me to eat -more- during the day while I was active so I could account for a more reasonable portion of my larger evening meal to prevent binging.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and it’s ok if it takes time is what I’ve learned here. This works. Just trust the process.
  • Peacelily70x7
    Peacelily70x7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Being able to use the Barcode scanner..
  • cheriesmithwallasey
    Options
    Hi, I have done mfp before and lost a ton of weight. Went from 17st down to 12. Unfortunately covid hit and I have a foodie partner. With the gyms being closed and nowhere to go my weight piled on then some Im 17st 8lbs now 🙁. I thought I ate pretty healthy but the scales don't lie so here I am again.
    Mfp helped me with kcal counti. G and letting me know what exactly was in my foods. When I rejoined again 4 days ago I was shocked at just how much sugar (198g 😳) and carbs I was eating. It was a real eye opener. I have manage to reduce both and upped my protein and fiber. I'm also exercising more cycling at least twice a day.
    This is helping me especially since my mobility is bad right now due to a torn ligament in my ankle which makes walk near impossible but cycling doesn't affect it. It's just great app miss the old totally free version but that's the way of the world.
    Cherie x
  • Ginharbe
    Ginharbe Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello, I totally agree the "Aha" moment for me, portions, snacking , out of control macros.
    I was a member since 2015, never understood to well what I was doing until I updated to premium, did more research and follow MFP structure, combined my workout app with MFP, follow the recipes that are provided in the app, It has been great, more than great ""AWESOME"", I have learn a lot, and I am not going hungry, no diet required just be mindful of what you eat LOS 16LB, since Xmas
  • FitKarenMN
    FitKarenMN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My “aha” was realizing my body was just a little too slow to signal that I was full. In the 30 minutes it took for my body to tell me I was full, I was significantly overeating without realizing it. By tracking my food in advance of eating, MyFitnessPal tells me how little I can eat and still be comfortably full. And it works. I lost 35 pounds, kept it off for over a year, and I almost never feel hungry like I used to.
  • sclady21
    sclady21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I could write a book to answer this question. I guess the short'ish version would start with: When I first joined MPF I logged everything and had SO MANY A-ha's. For the past 3 (maybe 4 [or more] years) I only occasionally came to the app to log food. In July '21, I started re-visiting the app (not consistently yet) to help get my HbA1C under control and had many A-ha's - the most significant: I'm not eating enough, not taking in enough fiber or protein, nor am I drinking enough water! And if I could kick my morning coffee creamer addiction :blush: my overall Carb intake would allow for more Fruit (which I LOVE!!). Another thing I've started doing is weighing my food as much as possible. Don't trust the 'serving size' #'s on packaging! Something I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about MFP is the recipe builder!! In an effort to simplify life I'm back to using my crockpot & IP. The recipe builder REALLY takes all the guesswork out of my crockpot and IP meal creations and makes meal bolus decisions EASY (well, easier) :smiley:

I wish I could get rid of the coffee creamer too. I can't drink coffee unless it's light beige...which is tons of creamer, carbs, and calories 😬
  • JustJ2014
    JustJ2014 Posts: 5,378 Member
    Options
    sclady21 wrote: »

I wish I could get rid of the coffee creamer too. I can't drink coffee unless it's light beige...which is tons of creamer, carbs, and calories 😬

Sometimes the cals and carbs are worth it. I only have coffee at home and with sugar-free creamer. I do not want to give it up!

• hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That my usual meals aren't terrible macro wise, it's the empty snacks that are rubbish for me.
    That it's a fun puzzle to combine foods for a particular result.
    And that if I pay attention to my diet, it probably won't be necessary to log religiously for life after the baby weight has gone again, but that I'm never going to be able to live on gummy sweets and chocolate and not take a nose dive health/weight wise. Trying to find the happy medium over time.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    316Judith wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new, my name is Judith. I am a Mother to 2 adult children son and daughter and Proud Grandmother to 4, 3 Girls and 1 Boy. Ranging in age from aged 12 to 25.

I am a former member of Spark People 11 years. With the site closing I was looking for a site with similar ideas. When I came here I was so impressed that you have a Community with opportunity to Blog and Groups to join or even start one up. I am able to log in my daily nutrition and daily exercise.

I am a Cancer patient: diagnosed July 2019 and had 3 surgeries with waiting on 1 more. I am underweight and have lost massive weight since diagnosis, down from my optimal weight of 125 to 130 pounds to between 98 pounds to 101 pounds, averaging 99 pounds at present.

I am a Born Again Christian, Teach Bible to a Group of Women, Vice President of Women's Ministry at my Home Church, Prayer Ministry Leader of my Home Church, Community Volunteer to a Christian Outreach Ministry

My Faith in the Lord keeps me strong and helps me through the challenges of cancer.

Here are 2 Life's Scripture Verses that both motivate and encourage me on my journey:

Philippians 4:13 NKJV

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

I am looking to find new Friend's here and to work at getting as Healthy as I am able with the help of this Community.
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new, my name is Judith. I am a Mother to 2 adult children son and daughter and Proud Grandmother to 4, 3 Girls and 1 Boy. Ranging in age from aged 12 to 25.

I am a former member of Spark People 11 years. With the site closing I was looking for a site with similar ideas. When I came here I was so impressed that you have a Community with opportunity to Blog and Groups to join or even start one up. I am able to log in my daily nutrition and daily exercise.

I am a Cancer patient: diagnosed July 2019 and had 3 surgeries with waiting on 1 more. I am underweight and have lost massive weight since diagnosis, down from my optimal weight of 125 to 130 pounds to between 98 pounds to 101 pounds, averaging 99 pounds at present.

I am a Born Again Christian, Teach Bible to a Group of Women, Vice President of Women's Ministry at my Home Church, Prayer Ministry Leader of my Home Church, Community Volunteer to a Christian Outreach Ministry

My Faith in the Lord keeps me strong and helps me through the challenges of cancer.

Here are 2 Life's Scripture Verses that both motivate and encourage me on my journey:

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

I am looking to find new Friend's here and to work at getting as Healthy as I am able with the help of this Community.
    Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

• KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Judith thank you for sharing we often forget who’s child we are and God made us for this! Thank you for the reminder! 💕 You are a true inspiration thank you for sharing your story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!