WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,293 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    Good morning ladies! Happy (US) Veterans Day! Thank you for your service and support. I know Lisa and I served in the Air Force, and Rebecca is a big Navy supporter. Who else is out there?

Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    ej5968c1q3uu.png

My dad and his brother, My mom's brothers and all the granddad's served as did almost all the women of the "right" age in WWII - and they are all gone now. thinking of them with love.

Kim in N. California
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    My dad was a WWII Army veteran - Italy and the Aleutian Islands, my Marine husband a Vietnam veteran.

Thankful for all who have served this great country. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,293 Member
    My Father ~ Army/Air Force Mechanic in China & Retired National Guard

DH's Father ~ Navy in the Pacific

Husband ~ Ltd. at Ft Knox

Happy Veterans Day!

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Shared poem on Facebook...History of poppy used by veterans...

In Flanders Fields
    BY JOHN MCCRAE
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.
    We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.
    Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Why we use poppies for veteran's day. John Mccrae died from pneumonia while a doctor during WWI. Over 150,OOO died on these Flemish Fields. Wild poppies were one of the few plants that continued to grow. Yes it is a day to remember.
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 432 Member
    Heather: My husband for some reason is contemplating whether there were Neanderthals on Gibralter. He plans to look this up!

Rori: I am glad you are enjoying/enjoyed Maui. I was there in the 80s.

Mary: My sympathy on the passing of your nephew. Peace to your family.

Katla: I hope you are able to live with your DH soon. Maybe if you moved in some of the clutter you dislike could be cleared away.

Mary Terese: I struggle to eat protein. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't like meat that much either.

Viv: I hope you found the 4th kitten.

Karen: So proud of your brother....walking 2 miles a day!

DLFK202000: I hope this situation with your husband and his mother isn't causing you to slip into a depression

Tracey: Thank you for the Nora Roberts Trilogy book idea. I will have my DH order this as a Christmas Gift to me for Christmas!

Machka9: My 92 year old mother loves a mystery! I will think about getting her a JD mystery for Christmas. I will have to check to see how gory they are!

Rebecca: I hate doing the leg work for health care. Chasing down referrals and setting up doctor's appointments. So boring!

Well my son and his wife are heading to a wedding in Rhode Island, so I am dog sitting. Such a lovely dog. A black lab. Even if he does want to eat at 4:30 or 5:00 am in the morning!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,793 Member
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Onions frying
    2 technology. All. I love tech stuff
    3 color. Sky blue and lavender
    4 food. Yogurt
    5 sound. Soft music
    6 nature. Birds
    7 memory. My trip to the White Mountains in NH with my mom
    8 book. This one is hard. I read a lot. I think John Wayne’s biography.
    9 place. Whit Mountains in NH
    10 taste. Sweet and salty together!
    Spoiler
    11 holiday. Christmas of course! 🎄🎅🤶
    12 texture.
    13 abilities.
    14 sight.
    15 season.
    16 about your body.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill

Been off this week, not feeling well. Some kind of bug. Colitis, sinuses, back and neck aches and just plain blah. Not CoVid, I tested.

So sorry to hear about your nephew Mary..

RvRita in chilly Roswell ( only 44 degrees at 10 am. Not usual!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,185 Member
    Rosemarie - indeed Gibraltar was the last known outpost of the Neanderthals. Bones found here in a cave . No one is sure why they died out, but we all have some Neanderthal in us. (European stock) Must have been very strange being the last one, but they probably didn't know it.

Heather xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,428 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Up super early here, couldn't sleep. Seems I'm into the 6 hr of sleep combined with one or two short naps during the day schedule.

Mary - So very sorry to hear about your nephew and sending prayers for the family. A close friend of mine's niece, in her 30's, passed in her sleep recently - she had been in good health so it's a mystery. Sadly, seems to be happening more often. :'(

Barbara - I got nervous reading about your drive home! Driving in the rain and wind is hard enough on straight dry pavement. Hope no slides and your road remained in good shape.

The grateful list - I'm very late to the party here. I try to mentally fill my day with gratitude for all kinds of things and memories. Too many to list. :D Love reading everyone's though. <3

Ginny - glad to hear you are back at work and getting some walks in.

Tracey - winter already? Brrr. Sending good vibes for your SIL's kidney stones.

Heather - thank you for taking us along on your cruise and adventures. Loving the photos. :)

Sending hugs to all going thru dermatology appointments and upcoming surgeries. Grateful the spot on my nose was caught early several years ago and hasn't returned.

Vicki - your mention of long meetings brings back less than favorable memories for me as well. Some bigwigs don't seem to have a clue that employees responsible for the phones - yours or in my case, 911 - can't just walk away and let calls go to voicemail. I too was in hot water several times for skipping the long boring meetings that had nothing to do with me. Was very glad to retire from that job. Great that you have some time off and how nice you'll come in to cover for your employee having the early Thanksgiving. <3

Karen - I'm tickled at how things are coming together for your new place and your brother's move. The end is in sight. You are such a blessing to him. <3 That fine dining sounds great :)

Beth - I can feel your exhaustion. Saying a prayer that your mom settles into her new living space and remains safe. So happy she's closer to you now.

Lisa - so glad you are doing better. :)

Carol - so sorry to hear you have to endure more election stuff. I have done my best to not get "emotionally involved" in the election other than those races in my county and representing me at the statehouse. Otherwise, too much BS from both sides that raises my BP in my opinion. I still vote and pray that it will all work out for the best for everyone. This name calling stuff and way out accusations between candidates has been going on for a long, long time - I ran across some newspapers from the 1800's and mid 1900's. They were at it back then too. Except now the internet and TV goes at it 24/7. :s I gave up believing most of what the media "reports" several years ago in an effort to keep what's left of my sanity and instead focus on things I can control. ;)

Suebdew - sorry to hear about your hand. Hope wrapping it lets it heal well. Always glad to see you pop in!

Rebecca - what a mess with your heat going out but happy to hear they are tending to it. Totally understand your situation - some things we just put up with vs. landlord spending $$ and raising the rent. How long will older son be away? 2 years?

Allie - I never get tired of the Miles photos. Thank you for posting!!

Rori - I'm mentally soaking up the rays with you. I tried to reach through the screen and grab that yummy looking fish taco.

Yesterday my friend Charlie showed up unexpectedly with a small load of firewood. It's clean and still fairly dry so I need to get it moved under cover in the next several days - afternoon sunshine is predicted here until next Thurday so that will help it to dry out more. The wood is small - dry mill ends, and uneven lengths so hard to stack - I'll tote what I can and just pile it, which will speed things up. My plan is to pick out the drier pieces and pop them into the greenhouse where it gets from 80f to 100f when the sun shines. What I don't get moved will be tarped. I mainly needed some for emergency heating in case we lose power or go through a real cold snap - take some pressure off the electric bill.

A while back, one or more of you ladies mentioned "You Are the Placebo" by Dr. Joe Dispenza and I'm reading it now. I truly believe our minds help us to heal, the trick is to train those brain cells, lol. I have his new one "Becoming Supernatural" on order at the library.

Rosie is still asleep - I can hear the coyotes at it outside. I don't think they are close but will have to bundle up and go with her when she wakes up and needs to go out and do her business. She's pretty wary.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)
    Chilly SW WA State

Yes its a fine dance us renters do, keeping the peace like Lisa said. It was nice to see the owner, as it was him we meet when we signed paperwork, and did the walk thru with. Now this is the owner of the rental management company, not the owner of the house. The owners are elderly, and live on the east coast. My understanding is their son is in Seattle and doesn't want anything to do with it. He knows if he takes possession of it, he would have to do lots of fixing up to get it sellable.

My eldest son is in Guam, and between now and next year he has to make 1st class petty officer. If not he is out of the military with 17 years in. Hopefully he makes it (might know for the testing this year on 23rd of this month). Technically you can only be in for a specific amount of time as a 2nd class. He signed up for 2years with Guam command, but (when) he makes 1st class his time with them will be extended to make it 20 years served, and he can retire. I find it so frustrating that the Navy runs on sailors like him, dependable, hard working, but just not a great leader. He does his job, is likeable, but leave him alone and let him work. Like those old Navy movies where there's that old 2nd class salty, gray haired tar but respected. That can't happen in the Navy now.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,428 Member
    https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/1TOlyvDwR0ahJJS4r4h1Uw.4C6DXqVMQnNUIZQx0bge-H
    Athena was dealing with a cold, she gurgled, "thank you for the stickers grandma".💖
    Rebecca
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,344 Member
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Lisa-I deliberately did not get involved in elections this year very much at all. I did enough research to determine the issues and that was it! It was wonderful.
    Ginny in Ohio

In all honesty, I still don't know why I couldn't let the politics go this year. Usually I'm like you and keep myself at a remove. I finally went into my news feeds yesterday and didn't just unselect politics, but actively blocked political news. Some will still leak around the edges, but it will slow the deluge significantly.

Betsy - Wish I could wrap my arms around you. So glad you have your sister and friends who love you and who've walked through that same valley. Lean on them and us as much as you need. I likened that time as feeling like a table with three legs... I looked fine until something put pressure on that corner, and then I collapsed again. You are not alone.

This has taken me five hours to write, as I'm in cricket mind today... One thing about cricket mind, though, you get lots done, or at least I do. Working on my fourth load of laundry, dishes are done, actually took a shower before noon in the first time in forever.

First truly cold day outside, and it looks like winter--gray and blustery. And OK, it's cold to me at 47 degrees. Walmart delivery, including tamales for dinner, between 4 and 5, hope it's warmed up by then, as I have to walk down to the gate and pin it open.

Finally getting enough calories in to stall my weight at about 159. I had dropped down to 153, too fast and too far. It's weird, as someone who has struggled with weight gain my entire life, to suddenly struggle to slow down my weight loss. I have lost 60 pounds since all this began in late 2019 - the vast majority of it without meaning to... which makes it much less satisfying for some reason.

Roosting over a small ceramic heater in Arkansas,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    I'm sorry for your family's loss, Mary. So tragic.
    I hope you are able to be with your husband full-time soon, Katla.
    Debbie could/would you consider moving in with your mom? Your situation does seem intolerable.

Not visiting my mom this weekend. It will be nice to have a weekend at home.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    I'm sorry for your family's loss, Mary. So tragic.
    I hope you are able to be with your husband full-time soon, Katla.
    Debbie could/would you consider moving in with your mom? Your situation does seem intolerable.

Not visiting my mom this weekend. It will be nice to have a weekend at home.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

Eventually I will be moving up there but not quite yet- I am still working part time. No, things are not great here but they could be so much worse. Mom is also not ready for someone else there full time, even if it was me. Yes, If I needed to move out from here, of course she would be fine with it.
    Now that I am doing more for myself, the rest is more tolerable. Should have done this years ago.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edit- Jerry, DH's friend is not 83, he is 87! He is such a great guy. Just over 5 1/2 hr drive each way.
    He does come down here for his doctor's appointments(likes the ones down here, never found one he liked up in Klamath Falls)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Mary so very sorry for your loss.
    Barbara I think I sprained my wrist when I was carrying a large folding table for the party. I had moved it all the way from the entry way to the back patio when my ddil’s mother grabbed it and tried to help me. She was in the doorway,and there wasn’t room for her to help. 😩
    Rebecca I had never seen the explanation for Armed Forces Day, Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Thank you for that.
    It is finally cold here. Been in The 80’s now going to freeze. Yikes.

SueBDew in TX