WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,094 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I had a lovely long post written, then had to go offline and forgot to save the draft 🤦‍♀️ Oh well! You know I love y’all.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season. Spring is my fav season. It’s a symbol of renewal.
    16. about your body.
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

[/quote]

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ginny: There is a park in a rural county near me...but I only go when people are there....there is a walking trail there...but I am afraid there could be stray dogs.

Karen: Your brother has the keys to his apartment and a new bank account. Things are going good for your brother!

Heather: The entertainment on the cruise sounds like fun. It all went by so quickly!

Annie: I hope your Mom does okay and can cook a little longer, but of course this may not be the case.

Kevrit: I thought when my caretaking days end I would do the holidays helping to feed the homeless, but hope COVID is over by then as well. If I were younger the risk would not bother me as much.

Machka9: My family is mostly out of state and so I celebrate the season rather than a big Thanksgiving or Christmas day. I do some decorating and a little cooking. Never have done much with cookies. This year for the first time I have ordered some wreaths and will have them put on the windows with red bows. I may never do this again....but I thought I would do it this year since we are so limited in being
    able to go anywhere. I love the Wish for the Week ahead.

Kimberly: Looking forward to see your work with resin.

Lanette: There is an LED bulb in the light. I don't know the wattage. 20 years with the same pair of frames. I didn't know you could do that. I have done 2 years re-using the frames but was always afraid to go longer. I have re-purchased the same frame years in a row. Maybe I will try and go longer with the same frame!

MargaretTurk: Interesting what the holistic vets are saying. We had a 13 pound poodle that we used the food from Vet's office and it was more expensive, but the poodle even older stayed at 12 to 13 pounds so it was a worthwhile diet.

Well as I told Machka, I am going to splurge and put wreathes on the windows and keep my usual wreath for the door. I am not doing anything different with lights...just a few on the shrubs per usual. My husband is supportive of the idea. Next week I am cooking steak for Thanksgiving and I have not decided whether to cook any sweets or not. There will just be 4 of us and we are all on diets! I fear my daughter in law comes from a family that does some cooking for the holidays, so I might have to prepare a few more sides than usual....or buy a few sides! My son came and picked up the dog. I enjoyed having him here!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Barbie— Thanks! I love it!

barbiecat wrote: »
    p4f0uapsald4.jpg

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Gratitude:
    12. Texture - when I was a little girl I made "eating noises" when I tasted anything. Like a cat lapping milk annoying noise! I really enjoy food textures. Luckily I don't make those noises anymore!😂
    13. Abilities - singing, juggling, playing the piano, I am like a traveling clown.🙃🙄
    14. Sight - love a good sunset, and when the sun comes thru my widows and sets my sun catcher.💖
    15. Season - give me a summer I can lie on a rock like a lizard.

Today had another tomato, and turkey sandwich. Then pudding this evening. Watched sumo at lunchtime.
    Had a fun scare happen this morning. My eldest sister has a rental home on her husbands property, and the renters moved out. So she offered it to us. Though she has to check with her husbands kids. Etc, it was nice she did it. Its 2489 sq ft, on 1. something acres, and it was built in 1949. Sadly it's about $400 over what we pay here per month, plus we would have the total responsibility of bills, unlike here where son handles 2 and we handle 2. But for a NY minute we mused about it! No gym access for husband that is free like on base, we would be in the same situation as in Hammond on the coast, scrimping and saving. Our freedom to shop without worry would be gone. I do like that quality of life. It trumps the fact that we get no sun, and our hellish drive to Seattle hospital once a year. The pros and cons of it all.🙃🙄👍🏻
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Regarding giving gifts to service providers ... we don't do that here. Australians also don't tip.

Our newspapers come via the internet.

I wouldn't have a clue who delivers the mail. She or he zips by in a few seconds on her/his motorcycle and is all decked in helmet and high-viz so we couldn't begin to identify the person.

The grocery delivery person changes each week.

I can't think of any other regular service providers. But if there were and we gave them something I think they would be a little startled. It would be highly unusual!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

All the best on the biopsies. Having just gone through that part, I don't envy you!

M in Oz

After what you talked about/what you went through with yours, I didn't sleep well last night.
    Got there and he decided to just do two spots instead of four so he could stitch them. Not enough room to do four and stitch them the way he would like. The numbing shot was all I felt and it wasn't very bad at all. I am sure when that wears off that it will start hurting but, at least for now, it is not bad. Will take it easy for the evening. Go back Monday to get the stitches out.

I'm glad it went well.

I got two very painful numbing shots in my nose with mine. The first went in quite high up and WOW did that hurt. The second wasn't quite as bad. Once they took it was OK.

I got my stitches out after a week.

I think one of the worst parts was that my whole nose swelled up, and I wear glasses so I had headaches every day for the first week or 10 days.

Also the spot has taken ages to heal but that isn't surprising given that it is cancer and that is one of the symptoms. Same with my hip biopsy.

But my third biopsy which was the biggest one was not cancer and it is just about healed.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim -

We don't do a lot of social gifting now, but that wasn't always the case. There was a time when we had lots of people we wanted to give to at Christmas. We tried a lot of solutions, including trays of cookies.

The best received gift was Lindor truffles, and we gave those for a number of years. We waited for their big sale and bought them in bulk, put them in little mesh bags of 8-10 truffles, and gave to anybody we wanted to as the season progressed. I usually bought 300 truffles - but the price has gone up, currently around $80 - and the little mesh bags are under $20. So even now with the higher prices, for around $100 I could give at least 30 small gifts. It's still food, but somehow the little chocolates were a huge hit vs the trays of cookies. And less work. And didn't go stale or need to be frozen. People would ooh and aah when we handed them a little bag. I kept them in a big container near the front door so they were handy, and took some with me when I went somewhere I might run into people I wanted to give a little something to. We don't have that many people to gift to anymore, so we stopped doing it a few years ago. Now that we are moving to a senior community, though, I can see where we might want to start it back up again.
  • Machka9
    Options
    That's more or less what I did with my work colleagues at my previous location.

I bought a couple of these, put 3 or 4 balls in each little baggie, and kept whatever was left over.

$20 plus a couple dollars for baggies and all my food giving was done and dusted.

wmlsaw7o7dzs.png

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.
    15. Season - I like the seasons in the following order from best to worst: Summer, Autumn ............ Spring ................... Winter.
    16. What about your body are you grateful for? Healing ... that it heals. Mostly anyway, and perhaps imperfectly, but healing does take place.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Machka - That all sounds horrific! You are approaching all this with a great deal of fortitude. <3

Pleased with myself this morning. I got right back into it after a good night's sleep.
    Exercise machines this morning, plus mat work and weights.
    Then back to the writing. Mainly I was copying out a couple of poems, with a short commentary. One was a poem about my grandmother, when she became very frail and took a great deal out of my mother. It made me realise where I got my fear of getting old and incapable from. I hated witnessing what it did to my mother. Love and hate have always been very close together in my family.
    The poem was published in a magazine. :)

Lying low and catching up today. Sunday we have my husband's sister and her boyfriend coming for the night and it is also our 18th wedding anniversary. Time flies!!! I've been ordering different bits of painting equipment for DH'S present, which will arrive today.
    I also need to send flowers to my brother's wife for her birthday next week. Want to get them there early as they are going off to Rome the day after. It's also their 25th anniversary.

Tomorrow I have a pottery lesson in the evening. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im over with Miles and Tracy ,she will be leaving for work soon....
    Nothing new...
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Grateful for...
    16-*my body-nails
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN