Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Good evening.
    Rant follows:
    He asked if I knew where I caught it. Yep. I have a co-worker who is anti-vaxx, COVID denying, and I had a meeting with her Thursday afternoon. She came into my office in a heap, coughing and congested, kleenex in hand, and announced. "I am SOOO sick!!" Then grabbed a bottle of Advil. I wanted to tell her to leave immediately, but I didn't want her to flip out on me, because I know where she is politically, so I moved my chair as far away from her as I possibly could. Was afraid to get a mask because I didn't want to be accused of "having a diaper on my face" (Which is something another co-worker has said to me, multiple times). So we had the meeting. And I knew. As soon as she left, I opened the window, tried to breathe fresh air, but it was too late. Friday evening, I started feeling a sore throat, and by Saturday night, I was full-on sick and tested positive. I told her I caught it from her and that she needed to test. She denied that she was sick at all. (!!!!) But she had an old test around the house. And yep. She was positive. Apparently she caught it from her husband who caught it from her pastor, and they all thought they had colds because they thought "this COVID thing was over." OMG I already didn't like this woman, and now I don't even know if I can speak to her again.

She then tried to claim that yes, she has Covid, but she's not having any symptoms. Excuse me? She told me she wasn't feeling well on Wednesday, so I offered a Zoom meeting, and she said she was fine to come in (she lives about an hour away), she met me on Thursday, obviously sick, and we had another meeting scheduled for Friday which she couldn't make because "I have been in bed all day." So whatever. The level of denial is crazy.

I told this whole story to my doctor, and he just shook his head. He said that he wished he could say that he never heard this situation before, but he says he hears it all the time. "Oh, it's just a cold." And then they are passing it around to everyone.

I'm not keeping it a secret that I have COVID. I put it in my automatic response in case there are others out there who thought "this whole thing was over."

And another rant. My husband is a horrible carer. I know he loves me, but if I didn't remind him that I should probably eat something, I don't think I would see any food come my way. Granted. My appetite is next to nothing, and sometimes I start to eat something and have to stop immediately,
    but food is probably important, right?

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I can’t believe the number of people that think it’s all over or didn’t believe it in the first place.

I hope you feel better soon and that DH feeds you. I feel My DH would be poor at it too.

Tracey
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    💕
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Good evening.

So sorry about your friend, Lisa. My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer, and I think I still have some trauma around it because every time I hear about it, I feel a panicked feeling. One of my co-workers is dying of pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed two years ago, and they don't believe he will make it to Christmas now. He's the one they had the celebration of your life for a few weeks ago. I watched the video of it, because I was recovering from surgery, and when he spoke, he thanked everybody and, among other things, said it was going to be really embarrassing if he didn't actual die! I love him so much.

Day two of Covid? I'm not sure when to begin counting. Symptoms are worse, but I would still describe them as moderate. I'm taking tylenol every four hours to keep the fever under control. And the headache. Holy Moly. Coughing, sneezing, sinus pressure, sore throat. We have an oximeter, and my oxygen level has gotten as low as 94, which is low for me (I'm usually at 98 or 99) but not overly concerned. I will keep an eye on it. Had the video conference with the primary care doctor, and he ordered the Paxlovid for me. We are hoping that will keep me out of the hospital. But I do have to go off one of my cancer meds because they are counterindicated. That bums me a little because I was already off of it for a month because of the surgery. I had just finished two weeks. Oh well. I have to remember that the Letrozole is doing the heavy lifting, and I've been taking that for over a year now.

Rant follows:
    He asked if I knew where I caught it. Yep. I have a co-worker who is anti-vaxx, COVID denying, and I had a meeting with her Thursday afternoon. She came into my office in a heap, coughing and congested, kleenex in hand, and announced. "I am SOOO sick!!" Then grabbed a bottle of Advil. I wanted to tell her to leave immediately, but I didn't want her to flip out on me, because I know where she is politically, so I moved my chair as far away from her as I possibly could. Was afraid to get a mask because I didn't want to be accused of "having a diaper on my face" (Which is something another co-worker has said to me, multiple times). So we had the meeting. And I knew. As soon as she left, I opened the window, tried to breathe fresh air, but it was too late. Friday evening, I started feeling a sore throat, and by Saturday night, I was full-on sick and tested positive. I told her I caught it from her and that she needed to test. She denied that she was sick at all. (!!!!) But she had an old test around the house. And yep. She was positive. Apparently she caught it from her husband who caught it from her pastor, and they all thought they had colds because they thought "this COVID thing was over." OMG I already didn't like this woman, and now I don't even know if I can speak to her again.

She then tried to claim that yes, she has Covid, but she's not having any symptoms. Excuse me? She told me she wasn't feeling well on Wednesday, so I offered a Zoom meeting, and she said she was fine to come in (she lives about an hour away), she met me on Thursday, obviously sick, and we had another meeting scheduled for Friday which she couldn't make because "I have been in bed all day." So whatever. The level of denial is crazy.

I told this whole story to my doctor, and he just shook his head. He said that he wished he could say that he never heard this situation before, but he says he hears it all the time. "Oh, it's just a cold." And then they are passing it around to everyone.

I'm not keeping it a secret that I have COVID. I put it in my automatic response in case there are others out there who thought "this whole thing was over."

And another rant. My husband is a horrible carer. I know he loves me, but if I didn't remind him that I should probably eat something, I don't think I would see any food come my way. Granted. My appetite is next to nothing, and sometimes I start to eat something and have to stop immediately, but food is probably important, right?

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Just about every day I post another COVID is not over message on FB.

Numbers here dropped toward the end of winter but it has been a cool and incredibly rainy spring, they removed a lot of the restrictions ... and numbers are going up again.

I know my cancer is very mild but both I and a close co-worker have cancer (she has breast cancer) and I am sure our immune systems aren't functioning at 100%. And we don't want to get it!

But people are back to standing on top of each other in grocery lines and coughing everywhere. 😞

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Here we are, just sailing up the Solent to dock at Southampton. I set my timer to go off an hour too early! DH was not impressed! The time change threw me.
    Of course, I've been awake half the night. :p

Yesterday early evening DH and I had a singing session in our cabin. Old songs from the musicals. We went at it for well over an hour. Fabulous! <3
    A couple who sat at the next table at dinner proved to be great conversationalists and we chatted right up to the last call for the piano show, with loads of great tunes.

Our big luggage went last night, so we just have hand luggage to deal with. The butler brought us muesli and yogurts last night, so we can have an easy breakfast in our suite. We have fruit etc.

Yes, Lisa, it is sad to leave. But we now start looking forward to the next one. :p I always take ages to get over my cruises. I'm a very slow switcher. (But I shall be delighted to see the grandchildren this afternoon, which will bring us back to reality! We are picking up Bea from school. ) Living on board a ship is like living in a community. It's artificially constructed in order to make money out of you, but Saga are very good at the warm fuzzies. That feeling is addictive.

Now to make our last cup of tea and wake DH up for the second time.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I had a bad cold a few weeks ago and I didn't leave the house until it was necessary and I had tested negative. Then I only went to the grocery store, picked up my stuff as quickly as I could and got out of there! I should add that I was masked also. Didn't want to share my germs and didn't want to pick up anyone else's. Hard to believe that people still think it's okay to cough all over other people, even a Covid denier should have the decency to keep their germs to themselves! But there I go again, making sense, sorry, I'll stop that! lol
    I am amazed and in awe of the bakers and candy makers here! I used to make more cookies, when the kids were both home, but now I'm pretty much the only one who would eat all that stuff and I do not need it! I do like it, but just can't do it, too many body parts protest. I will make a few cookies and tarts, and I do a cereal, nut and dried fruit bark that goes over quite well and apparently has become a bit of a tradition. It's easy to make, but can be a bit pricey. I'll have to mail some to our younger son, so postage will also add up. Canada Post has three sizes of boxes that you can pay for (fairly reasonable) and then whatever fits in the box will be mailed. There is a weight limit, but I have used them the past few years and they do hold a good amount with no extra charge. I will have to look into that again this year. I also etransfer him some money so that he can make their Christmas a little merrier.
    Just looked at the time and I need to get off the computer!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Good evening.

So sorry about your friend, Lisa. My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer, and I think I still have some trauma around it because every time I hear about it, I feel a panicked feeling. One of my co-workers is dying of pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed two years ago, and they don't believe he will make it to Christmas now. He's the one they had the celebration of your life for a few weeks ago. I watched the video of it, because I was recovering from surgery, and when he spoke, he thanked everybody and, among other things, said it was going to be really embarrassing if he didn't actual die! I love him so much.

Day two of Covid? I'm not sure when to begin counting. Symptoms are worse, but I would still describe them as moderate. I'm taking tylenol every four hours to keep the fever under control. And the headache. Holy Moly. Coughing, sneezing, sinus pressure, sore throat. We have an oximeter, and my oxygen level has gotten as low as 94, which is low for me (I'm usually at 98 or 99) but not overly concerned. I will keep an eye on it. Had the video conference with the primary care doctor, and he ordered the Paxlovid for me. We are hoping that will keep me out of the hospital. But I do have to go off one of my cancer meds because they are counterindicated. That bums me a little because I was already off of it for a month because of the surgery. I had just finished two weeks. Oh well. I have to remember that the Letrozole is doing the heavy lifting, and I've been taking that for over a year now.

Rant follows:

And another rant. My husband is a horrible carer. I know he loves me, but if I didn't remind him that I should probably eat something, I don't think I would see any food come my way. Granted. My appetite is next to nothing, and sometimes I start to eat something and have to stop immediately, but food is probably important, right?

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Just about every day I post another COVID is not over message on FB.

Numbers here dropped toward the end of winter but it has been a cool and incredibly rainy spring, they removed a lot of the restrictions ... and numbers are going up again.

I know my cancer is very mild but both I and a close co-worker have cancer (she has breast cancer) and I am sure our immune systems aren't functioning at 100%. And we don't want to get it!

But people are back to standing on top of each other in grocery lines and coughing everywhere. 😞

M in Oz

COVID ‘variant soup’ is making winter surges hard to predict
    Descendants of Omicron are proliferating worldwide — and the same mutations are coming up again and again.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-03445-6

• Machka9
    Options
    Very glad I found this group! I’m 56, a chronic pain patient, and love the conversations I’ve been seeing in here. Since I’m a CPP I’m very limited in my mobility which makes my weight loss a little more challenging. I started with this APP on September 22( coincidentally my birthday) I have lost 24 pounds so far! I finally (with the help of my husband) took apart the spare bedroom and donated the queen sleigh bed to charity. Then I moved my craft table from the garage into the house. I now finally have a. craft room! I haven’t been able to work on anything because it took me one day to move everything into the house then another day just to set up my workspace. With any hope, I’ll !be able to do something tomorrow! Right now my favorite craft to do is work with resin! Messy but lots of fun! I’ll post pictures of some work once I have something worthy. I truly hope I can build some friendships in this room. I look forward to talking with you all!!

Kimberly in NE Alabama

😁

Welcome Kimberly!

I think there are a few of us here about your age. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.
    15. Season - I like the seasons in the following order from best to worst: Summer, Autumn ............ Spring ................... Winter.

Fortunately we're 2 weeks away from Summer. :)

Unfortunately, Winter isn't willing to let go just yet so we're having another blast. A snowy (at slightly higher elevations) blast. That's Spring for you! Spring is treacherous.

Here's hoping for a nice Summer. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Because of the talk on here about Christmas and Thanksgiving, I checked in with Corey on whether he wanted or needed a celebration of either, and we reaffirmed our usual, which is a lack of any desire to make a special meal or buy gifts, etc. If we really want something, we buy it. Luckily, we're both also reasonably frugal and don't want much.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

We're with you. :)

We don't have Thanksgiving here and we prefer to keep Christmas small and quiet.

We do like to decorate - that's something we enjoy. But not too over-the-top.

We like the music and have started listening to a little bit of it once in a while.

We like some of the food that appears in the grocery store like mince tarts and shortbread. It's nice for a change. Oh and pavlova!!

I like the fact that I'll have at least 10 days off over Christmas as usual. It means I can sleep in, read, garden, cycle and do other things I like. :heart:

We relax and enjoy.

As for gifts, we will likely get our son, daughter-in-law and new grand-daughter something. Especially our new grand-daughter. At this point, that might be something like nappies. :smiley:

Machka in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I love well behaved dogs. Yours are doing very well. I can sense the happiness you are getting from Joe participating.

Machka - Ontario is “highly recommending”, stopping just short of mandating masks again. I also see we are in a flu epidemic right now here. I don’t expect any restrictions to come down here in Alberta though.

Evelyn - those Canada Post boxes are great. That’s how I’ve sent things to NB. I’ve also used Amazon and sent to our niece to wrap from DH’s parents.

Karen - how wonderful that your brother finally has his ID!

It is currently 306am and I cannot get back to sleep. I am dreading my work day today and the thoughts keep swirling about it.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    I am giving her a ceramics set I made for her.

z418pqm1jg66.jpeg
    e9m35l5fiemo.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

Love it!!

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Y'all have inspired me to apply for the Prime Visa card! As much as I shop on Amazon, I might as well get some credit for my spending. This is difficult for me because I have not used a credit card in 15 years. I have been paying for everything as I go using my debit card. Carol in GA

Carol - just keep the same discipline that you do with your debit card, and you'll be fine... Another bonus, along with what Kim said, is the fact that, by using your credit card, you won't be giving anyone else direct access to your bank account. I don't allow anything to come out of my bank account unless I have no choice, like the mortgage company and the gas company. Other than that, all my monthly payments come out of my credit card, which bumps up those points, too. In all actuality, I check my credit card and bank accounts daily. I haven't had to balance a checkbook in years.

Heather - Welcome home! Picking up Bea will get you right back in the swim of your everyday life again, for sure. Bet she missed you like mad. I have to admit I got a little bit of a thrill when you said you were sailing up the Solent. I actually went water-skiiing on the Solent around 1980 or so, a friend and I took a holiday on the Isle of Wight, and the proprietors of the B&B invited us to go with them in the boat. Reminded me I was young and adventurous once...

Flea - It has been the thing that's been the worst throughout the years of the pandemic, that so many simply cannot seem to understand (or care) that they are helping save others' lives by wearing that *)(&^%$^*(()) mask. It's so easily done, and so frustrating. I'm sorry your husband isn't stepping up.

Kimberly - Welcome! We're glad you're here.

Tracey - Hope it's a good day after all...

As soon as I sign this off, I have to jump in the shower and then head into town. The VA being what they are, I have to go in and sign another "pain contract," and get a drug screen done. I don't know whether they're testing to make sure I'm not using illegal drugs, or testing for the opioid that I'm taking to make sure I'm taking it. It's annoying, but it is such an incredible relief to be taking a drug that works for my raging arthritis that doesn't destroy the lining of my gut while it's at it. Peeing in a cup every 90 days is a small price to pay.

Off to the races...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Grateful for...
    15-*season-fall
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Because of the talk on here about Christmas and Thanksgiving, I checked in with Corey on whether he wanted or needed a celebration of either, and we reaffirmed our usual, which is a lack of any desire to make a special meal or buy gifts, etc. If we really want something, we buy it. Luckily, we're both also reasonably frugal and don't want much.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

We're with you. :)

We don't have Thanksgiving here and we prefer to keep Christmas small and quiet.

We do like to decorate - that's something we enjoy. But not too over-the-top.

We like the music and have started listening to a little bit of it once in a while.

We like some of the food that appears in the grocery store like mince tarts and shortbread. It's nice for a change. Oh and pavlova!!

I like the fact that I'll have at least 10 days off over Christmas as usual. It means I can sleep in, read, garden, cycle and do other things I like. :heart:

We relax and enjoy.

As for gifts, we will likely get our son, daughter-in-law and new grand-daughter something. Especially our new grand-daughter. At this point, that might be something like nappies. :smiley:

Machka in Oz

Oh yes .. that reminds me ...

One year we went to one of the best restaurants in town for their Christmas buffet and it was really nice.

As I recall it wasn't more than $100 per person. In fact I have the number $75 per person in mind for the one we went to.

That same one is $185 per person this year!!! :open_mouth:

We're not going.

We'll get a chicken or something from the grocery store.

M in Oz