WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    Mangoes, Mandarins and Mince Tarts ... the 3 Mmmmmms of Christmas Treats. :):)

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette— I love our Annas Hummingbirds. We are currently in Illinois and they don’t have them here. I miss them. I am confident that our neighbors in Oregon are feeding them.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3 I am caught up with the post reading! lol
    Machka- The glass hack for mangoes is brilliant! I don't buy them often; but I will have to try that next time I buy. I usually do the "cut and score" method shown in the video.
    Beth- Oh my stars and monsters! That is a LOT of snow! West Michigan got a decent 1-2 feet in many areas. Because our house is on Lake Michigan, we were ready for it (lake effect weather), but we actually only got about 3-4 inches between Wednesday pm and this morning! I am pretty sure the strong winds just scoured it away. Needless to say, I am disappointed. I LOVE snow (and enjoy shoveling). I hear you on the end of the driveway snow. It is the WORST place to shovel. Usually packed down from the plows, heavy, wet and horrible. Metal edged shovels needed to break it all up. My favorite season is winter. I think the other three seasons tie for second place. I really enjoy them all and am always ready for the next one. They last the right amount of time, then it is time for a change. lol
    Michele- I find that when we get a lot of snow; the snowblowers aren't much use. You have to dig yourself down to a depth that your snowblower can handle. When we have a lot of snow coming down, we tend to shovel multiple times during the day/night so that we don't have to "dig" out. Pretty sure, I will need to budget snow removal services into my finances as I get older. For my driveway it currently costs about $80 a pop.
    Well, I better scoot. I have my grocery shopping and errands to run today. I didn't do it yesterday because the wind was whipping the snow around so much it made the visibility too poor to head out. Much better today.
    Love and hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Catching up on my gratitudes:
    18. Piece of art - I stalled out on this one, because I marvel about so much that could be deemed "pieces of art." I'm so grateful for the look inside the artist's mind, whether that art is writing, painting, sculpting, music, etc.
    19. Touch - A full-body hug from Corey.
    20. Who in my life - I am ever grateful for Corey. I moved in with him in November 14 years ago now. I cannot imagine my life without him, and I hope I never have to.

Quiet Sunday in progress... I'm on my second cup of tea, messing around on the internet in what will forever be my office, because calling it my "craft room" just sounds weird. Corey's in his usual spot, in bed, sipping on his second cup of coffee and... messing around on the internet as well. Too bad it's not a team sport! We'd be champions if it was... B)

I am ambitionless this morning in any number of ways... Once I can't sit in this chair anymore, I'll probably get my book and read in the living room. Maybe I can convince Corey to get a fire going--it's still 24 degrees outside, and supposed to get up to mid-40s. Still--when I spoke to best friend in Montana yesterday, they were at 18 below zero, so there's that. If I can't get Cor to build a fire, I'll just have to get on the elliptical and get my inner fires burning. Actually, I could do both. :blush:

Hope it's a lovely Sunday for all...

Love,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,714 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Happy Anniversary Heather and Johnny xoxo
    Happiest of Birthdays Annie
    I haven't gotten up and out of bed yet.. and i might just relax for awhile..
    Both Doris and I are getting excited about going to the Cape.. im basically all packed.
    I do miss having a nice fire in a fireplace.. growing up we always had a fireplace and my mom always loved having a fire going in the fall and winter..
    And up at the cottage.I love sitting in front of the fireplace and just watching the fire and relaxing..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,352 Member
    Options
    Lisa - do you find that by using your elliptical, your balance is better too? My walking partner peddles every day on a recumbent bike to keep her knees flexible.

I was telling her about aiming for a total of 20 minutes on my seated elliptical. And how surprised I was that my legs were so much stronger after using for a short period of time - couple months. I could go up stairs now without them tiring out.

She grinned and said she bet my balance was probably better too, and it struck me - yes, it certainly was. :)

Now I need to take a clue from Annie and start incorporating some dumbbells into my routine. They are looking at me from a shelf right now, I'd best stop ignoring them.

Lanette B)
    SW WA where it's warmer and I have a little laundry hung out and flapping in the breeze.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding mangoes ... there are a number of different varieties.
    https://mangoes.net.au/about-australian-mangoes/australian-mango-varieties/

Right now, here in Tassie, we've got Kensington Pride which is all right. They seem to show up early so I usually have a few of them first.

But then Calypso mangoes appear, and that's the kind I go for during the rest of the season.

Last year, we got a huge variety about mid-season. If they appear again, I'm going to have to check the name. They were good but very big and very filling.

Regarding the glass method of scooping mangoes. It only works on ripe mangoes. I could never have used that method on the under-ripe, rock-hard mangoes found in Canada. The riper the mango, the more easily the skin separates from the flesh.

Papayas ... I like dried papayas, but I'm not overly keen on the fresh ones.

Machka in Oz

I never cared for fresh papaya until I started cutting my own. I don't know if it is something the other places put on the cut ones to keep them fresh or what, just had an odd taste to it. The ones I get whole taste so much better but have to be ripe but not over ripe. Mom said the same thing.
    I got one yesterday- super great sale at just .49cents a pound at the 99cent store. It is green but will ripen. They do eat it green here too but I prefer mine ripe and sweet.Green is in a salad, like a slaw.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    Options
    Lanette they are quite a beautiful bird!! I have never seen one of those. Are usually just see green headed or blue headed ones. Thanks for sharing the link!

Heather
    🥂💕 Happy Anniversary 💕🥂
    It sounds like you are off to a great start and have a fantastic day planned! Have a wonderful time💕

Annie it’s finally here your special day!
    🎉🎂🥳Happy Birthday 🥳🎂🎉

Beth they were extremely delicious! Taste better than they even look if that’s possible. I only had one and a small fudge bite. But the whole container was almost gone by the time we finished with our games. I wish I could go buy more. I’ll have to wait till next year for the next Christmas bazaar.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    💖
  • hdmelrose
    hdmelrose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    ready to head to church- wearing pants for the first time there-Went to get dressed and the cat had peed on the skirt I was going to wear(hadn't hung it up when I should have) Oh well, at least I will be warm. They have the AC on too much most Sundays.
    Walking MIL's dog this afternoon while dh gives her a hair cut- first time. She doesn't want to go out anymore to get it cut.
    Left over salmon for dinner.