WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Just checking in. I am something like 17 pages behind, but wanted to let you know that "Beth near Buffalo" (that's me) actually lives in Orchard Park, NY and our official tally for snowfall in the past 24 hours is 77 inches! Crazy, heavy, wet snow that is a bear to dig out. My husband and I are taking a quick break and then tackling the worst part ... the bottom of the driveway where the plow compacts the snow. We'll be using a coal shovel to break it up and then try to move with the snowblower. A few pics yesterday and today. More lake effect snow expected tonight!
    x6z04msmdddi.jpeg5nz80jyw52fw.jpegrg3utl49t29u.jpegnqhr5dqt28mn.jpeg

Beth near Buffalo

That brought back a lot of memories of my Canadian years.

And was one of the reasons I'm in Australia now.

Although, that said, apparently higher elevations here are supposed to get a dump of snow and the first day of summer is only 10 days away!!

Stay safe. Don't do too much shovelling at once.

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hello again!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! They warm my heart.

I did my dumbbells Yay! I'm back up to thirty reps. Yay! Except for the crunches, after twenty I got a weird pain along my right leg. So that will take a little longer.

Annie in Delaware

Are you doing your crunches with bent knees?

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked, then stopped at the dollar store, then home and made M&M cookies for T day, then cornbread. Jess called, she’ll get the ingredients for the stuffing, the green bean casserole, and bring the cranberry sauce. She’s coming Wed. night and leaving Fri. morning. I’ll have to see how I feel, I already asked for Sat. off so if I feel like it, maybe I’ll ask if they want me (I bet they do). After the last batch of cornbread muffins come out of the oven, I want to go to Ollie’s. Need a toy to take to the Newcomer general meeting. I want to go to this one because it is the election of officers. And I get 15% off (ends today). Church tonight.

Tracey – I’m so sorry about SIL’s grandmother. But you’re right, at least she didn’t suffer long

Mary – mango have large pits. Good luck!

Rori – sounds like so much fun you’re having! I like the box office at the Green Room but when I ushered, we would watch the show after it started. At one time we could see the show before it went on stage just to give the actors a better audience, but they don’t do that any more (boo)

M – I never heard of using a class to peel a mango. I have heard of the cutting part, tho (the second way she showed). I do really like mango

Margaret – so glad you are OK and safe

Heather – happy anniversary

Beth – thanks for popping in. So glad you are OK. Six feet of snow!!! You didn’t REALLY shovel your driveway, did you? Why not use the snowblower if you did?

Debbie – I never heard of a place where you cooked your own fish! But sounds really interesting

Now making a pumpkin pie which I’ll freeze. I just want to do as much ahead of time as possible for Thanksgiving. Looks like it’ll be just the 4 of us. I asked my friends but they were invited to someone else’s house. Somehow, I have to wonder if this is the fact or maybe they just like to be alone. Whatever. I also asked a friend of Jess’ and her hubby but her BIL is flying in to spend a week with them. Jess used to date this BIL. Normally, I would have said “bring him along” but since Jess used to date him and Colby will be here, I didn’t say anything.

Lanette – I did a search for The Man Who Died Twice and found two books with that name. What’s the author’s name of the book you are reading?

Now baking the pumpkin pie. Have a load of laundry in the dryer.

Have to stop into BK tomorrow am for a bit. See, the day before they get their delivery, I try to peel and slice the onions so when the truck is there, I can just take them into the "break" room and separate them. This way, I'm out of Jerry's way while he's putting things away. This week, instead of coming on Tuesday they're coming on Monday, probably because of the holiday. So I told the manager that I'd stop in just to peel and slice the onions. I would think that might take about 20 minutes. Then I'll go to WalMart.

But first I'll exercise, the plan being to do Kari Anderson's Step for Beginners DVD.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Regarding mangoes ... there are a number of different varieties.
    https://mangoes.net.au/about-australian-mangoes/australian-mango-varieties/

Right now, here in Tassie, we've got Kensington Pride which is all right. They seem to show up early so I usually have a few of them first.

But then Calypso mangoes appear, and that's the kind I go for during the rest of the season.

Last year, we got a huge variety about mid-season. If they appear again, I'm going to have to check the name. They were good but very big and very filling.

Regarding the glass method of scooping mangoes. It only works on ripe mangoes. I could never have used that method on the under-ripe, rock-hard mangoes found in Canada. The riper the mango, the more easily the skin separates from the flesh.

Papayas ... I like dried papayas, but I'm not overly keen on the fresh ones.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    :)Michele, we don't accept invitations to eat at someone else's house for the same reasons we don't accept food gifts. We are strict about what we eat and find it best to do our own food prep. You love to cook and share food so you may assume that others feel the same way

"The Thursday Murder Club " :The Man Who Died Twice " "The Bullet Thst Missed:" by Richard Osman
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walking chispas n yogi, pushed Lucy in stroller- 1hr 51min 31sec, 94elev, 3.07ap, 103ahr, 131mhr, 6.02mi= 686c
    Strava app = 737c

Walked chispas for 4 mi, then put her in stroller and finished walking yogi his 6 miles
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Tracy and Kyle had a good time and poor Miles fell asleep at like 5 ,so he will be up early.. I came home got my jammies on and had a cup of sleepytime tea..
    Going to clean out my car tomorrow and pack sone stuff for the trip
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Welcome to the new people and the returning friends!

Pip ... you are a great dog mom!

Debbie ... did I read you're dealing with skin biopsies?

My husband and I have finished clearing out the driveway snow ... one shovelful at a time! As my husband told his sister: You jam a snowblower in it and clear it foot by foot. You need to take a shovel and break it down as you go. Five hours yesterday and about 4 hours today. I am amazed, frankly, by how much stamina I had wielding a heavy snow shovel through snow over my head and wading through snow that was heavy and waist high. Who would have though that my knees could take it all. But other than normal tiredness, I'm ok!

We got all of my mother's things moved out of storage and moved her into her enhanced living apartment on Tuesday. It will take her time to adjust to her new surroundings and this weather event here in my neck of the woods has not worked in her favor. Staff not available. People providing service to her that usually don't work with the residents. It's an all-hands-on-deck effort when people are trapped in their homes due to snow. The move has been stressful for her and she doesn't understand that and has been very impatient and agitated today. A recipe for her taking risks with her care that she shouldn't. As soon as the travel bans are lifted, I'll be making a point to be with her to settle things down again.

November Gratitudes: Holiday - Easter, but I love Christmas too. Texture - plush blankets, we call them "feely" blankets. Abilities - to see the upside of situations. Sight - the sun! Season - Fall and then winter ... I know, why? I just do. Body - my strength and stamina, even though both are not what they used to be. Knowledge - the Truth; Piece of Art - Louis Comfort Tiffany's Holy Spirit Window, long story highly special to me. Touch - my husband's hug after a long day.

Beth near Buffalo

Yes- I went to have a dark spot taken off my nose again- they froze it off the last two times but this time they sent me to dermatology. He said because it came back he didn't want to just freeze it again- took biopsies and stitched it up. Only did two instead of the planned four because he didn't think it would heal right if there were that many on that one spot.
    Results can take up to 2-3 weeks.
    Stitches out on Monday. Just a little bandaid on it now. Not sure if they will freeze what is left or not. Can't tell exactly how much will be left.

That is some workout!!! I love to visit the snow but couldn't live in it. I am seriously allergic to the cold !(actually, I am. Cold induced asthma and Reynaud's syndrome)

Is that the normal amount of snow this early in the year, not even winter yet.?
    It is cooling down here but still t-shirt/leggings weather. Cooler in the evenings but if I am out walking- no jacket needed after the first 15 min.

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Machka yes I do my crunches with my knees bent some. But you are right that I needed to check my form. Thanks for the reminder!

Annie in Delaware
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Michele … we used a snowblower but also had to break snow up with a shovel. When it’s higher than the snowblower and heavy wet stuff… manpower is needed.

Debbie … thank you for explaining your recent biopsies. Praying they come back benign. And, no, the amount of snow in 24 hours is not normal for November. But interestingly on my FB memories we had a similar storm 8 years ago. Lake effect snow only occurs in a few places in the world… never know when it’s going to produce a doozy of a storm.

Annie .. Happy Birthday!

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.
    15. Season - I like the seasons in the following order from best to worst: Summer, Autumn ............ Spring ................... Winter.
    16. What about your body are you grateful for? Healing ... that it heals. Mostly anyway, and perhaps imperfectly, but healing does take place.
    17. What knowledge are you grateful for? Everything I do know. It all contributes to my work, my carer role, and my other activities.
    18. Piece of art - of the arts, I think the two I appreciate the most are literature and music. On the subject of music, I have really appreciated discovering ABC Classic FM on the radio and the app on my phone. I pop in my earbuds at work and I can focus on my work while feeling relatively relaxed at the same time. :)
    19. Touch - Rhody's fur, his little wet nose, his whiskers
    20. Who in my life - my husband. I'm glad he is still in my life. My parents who have always been supportive.

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked, then stopped at the dollar store, then home and made M&M cookies for T day, then cornbread. Jess called, she’ll get the ingredients for the stuffing, the green bean casserole, and bring the cranberry sauce. She’s coming Wed. night and leaving Fri. morning. I’ll have to see how I feel, I already asked for Sat. off so if I feel like it, maybe I’ll ask if they want me (I bet they do). After the last batch of cornbread muffins come out of the oven, I want to go to Ollie’s. Need a toy to take to the Newcomer general meeting. I want to go to this one because it is the election of officers. And I get 15% off (ends today). Church tonight.

Debbie – I never heard of a place where you cooked your own fish! But sounds really interesting

Have to stop into BK tomorrow am for a bit. See, the day before they get their delivery, I try to peel and slice the onions so when the truck is there, I can just take them into the "break" room and separate them. This way, I'm out of Jerry's way while he's putting things away. This week, instead of coming on Tuesday they're coming on Monday, probably because of the holiday. So I told the manager that I'd stop in just to peel and slice the onions. I would think that might take about 20 minutes. Then I'll go to WalMart.

But first I'll exercise, the plan being to do Kari Anderson's Step for Beginners DVD.

Michele NC

this place is an all you can eat buffet but you cook your own food.
    https://www.shabuyarestaurant.com/
    They put your choice of broth on a hotplate in your table. You go up to the buffet and get what you want to cook. There are kinds of seafood, noodles, veggies, sauces plus they bring super thin sliced pork/chicken/beef and also some appetizers.
    $19.99 per person.
    You can eat really healthy and make it exactly the way you want.
    I skip all the kinds of noodles and the rice(and dh eats my share, even though he should not be eating very much of them because he is diabetic). He ate two bowls of rice, noodles in his soup plus pot stickers. I ate plenty and didn't miss the noodles.

Debbie

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you for the book recommendations. I just placed a hold on them at the library. I realized the "Thursday Murder Club" books (by Richard Osman, thank you) remind me a little of the film "Reds" about retired CIA agents. Do they ever really retire? :p

Mary - I'm not quick enough to get a photo of Annas hummingbirds. :D They don't migrate like the Ruby throated hummers we have that appear in the summer. Then the hummingbird wars really take off, lol. I didn't realize hummingbirds eat a lot of teensy insects as well as flower nectar until I took a Master Gardener class on these little things. Here's is a good article about them - it doesn't show the range, but they are common along the west coast of the US and into Canada all year long.

https://www.thespruce.com/annas-hummingbird-387220

Pip - I hope soaking Lucy's toe and your care helps. Nice that she's patient enough to ride in the stroller, and I'm jealous, lol. Rosie would have to be sedated. :#:D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where the wind is now blowing in from the SSE and the severe cold snap is ending.