WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Oh my stars and whiskers, Beth, that's a lot of snow! Makes me want to go light a fire in the fireplace. Be safe out there!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DD took me to see my husband last evening. He was doing well, and is getting stronger. Our goal is for him to work on his health and the visit showed that he is making progress. I am pleased to see his progress & I am looking forward to having him healthier and being with me in our apartment. It may be a bit longer, but his progress is excellent and worth it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Beth that brings back bad memories! That’s a lot of snow ❄️❄️❄️
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Ok Ladies,

I was a bit shocked at some of your reactions to a gift that takes so much time and love and is given with care.... reject the gift, throw it in the trash, ask the gift giver to not give.... wow. regifting or bringing it to share with the office, neighbors, freezing and eating over time... those make sense to me.

So my question is what do you give to neighbors, friends, and service providers? All my neighbors bring me gifts, and when I was a gardener all my clients gave me a Christmas gift or tip, and even now some of my more regular embroidery clients give me Christmas gifts/tips. If I did not do cookies, I would be out spending far more on gifts to these folks. Last year I ended up with 4 beautiful poinsettias, a couple of starbucks cards, and 6 (ish) bottles of wine. Any one of those cost more than a single tray of cookies, and like Debbie I do customize the trays if I know what one family really likes.

Confused in California - Kim

I'm wayyyy behind, but I have to put in my two cents worth here. I'm a little surprised by the negative response to home baked gifts as well. It should never be about the gift, but the thought behind it. I made cookie trays for years and used them as a way to thank others for their friendship and contribution to our lives. It was all I could do and even then it was a strain on our budget. There's nothing wrong with gift cards or even doing nothing (although that one makes me sad), but there is something special about receiving a homemade gift. In a day and age where we seem to have lost so much of the ways of the past ... cookie trays and things like this are especially nice. Make your cookie trays!

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Oh Beth. Be so careful. That is a crazy amount of snow to try to clear.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, Beth! I can hardly believe it! Yes, please do not injure yourself. <3

Feeling better, bit by bit. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Saturday hugs ladies!
    Yesterday I made hamhock and pinto bean soup for Lee. I had about 2 cups of my shrimp, potato, mushroom, onion and wild rice soup from the day before. I added my cantinnelli white beans, more water and chicken stock, and a couple more baby potatoes cut up small. Then because I had pretty much ate most the shrimp pieces out, I took a tilapia fillet, (still frozen) and popped it in the hot soup. I buried it within it, and just let it cook. Never done that before, but hey, it worked. After simmering awhile it was white and flaky, so I just stirred it in. It was great! Fish soup!
    Lee doctored his soup with a bit too much steak sauce and it was orange and a bit too tangy. Not my problem! His soup experiment, his monkey!
    Last night our oldest sailor son called and I was able to have a 2 hour chat! We watched an anime Netflix series together, him on his computer and me on my tablet, and us talking and laughing on our phones. He's such a fun kid. I will post a video of a car meet he went to. He is the guy towards the end with the silver Japanese van and the small.scooter inside. He made a good impression and I can see him meeting up with group to socialize in the future.👍🏻💖🤗
    Hugs to all that wish one!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Beth-bless you ..please be careful.. 2 things they told me after my surgeries was no mowing grass,and no snow shoveling..
    Luckily i live in condo i don't have to worry..
    Im over taking care of Miles ,poor kid ate and got him in his jammies and the kid passed out..
    I hope Tracy and Kyle have a good time..im watching Old disney movies,watched Robin Hood,Now watching Aladdin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Pip poor Lucy! You are taking such good care of her. You do so well on exercise!

Heather hope you and DH feel better soon!

Beth I repeat what others have said - be so careful shoveling that stuff! There's no hurry. Take your time and do small paths.

I'm thinking about new electronics for my birthday/Christmas. I'm looking at a Kindle Paperwhite e-reader. It supports audiobooks with Bluetooth earbuds, but it might be too large for a pocket. I could use my Android phone with the earbuds, but I'm not sure I have enough memory on my phone. Hmm. For those of you who exercise with audiobooks, what devices do you use?

It would be so cool if I could walk and "read" and get a new exercise boost going. My body needs work!

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Saturday hugs ladies!
    Yesterday I made hamhock and pinto bean soup for Lee. I had about 2 cups of my shrimp, potato, mushroom, onion and wild rice soup from the day before. I added my cantinnelli white beans, more water and chicken stock, and a couple more baby potatoes cut up small. Then because I had pretty much ate most the shrimp pieces out, I took a tilapia fillet, (still frozen) and popped it in the hot soup. I buried it within it, and just let it cook. Never done that before, but hey, it worked. After simmering awhile it was white and flaky, so I just stirred it in. It was great! Fish soup!
    Lee doctored his soup with a bit too much steak sauce and it was orange and a bit too tangy. Not my problem! His soup experiment, his monkey!
    Last night our oldest sailor son called and I was able to have a 2 hour chat! We watched an anime Netflix series together, him on his computer and me on my tablet, and us talking and laughing on our phones. He's such a fun kid. I will post a video of a car meet he went to. He is the guy towards the end with the silver Japanese van and the small.scooter inside. He made a good impression and I can see him meeting up with group to socialize in the future.👍🏻💖🤗
    Hugs to all that wish one!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

When I went to a place for lunch called Shabuya(hot pot place) I was surprised to see fish on the buffet line(all raw that you cook in your pot on the table)- I tried a little and it was so good. I went back and got more. We went Thursday and the main two things I had in it was the fish and imitation crab. Had some fish balls but they used different ones this time, not very good and they had a lot less options on veggies. The fish cooks up really quick in the broth and tastes so good.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Beth - so glad you popped in to give us the snow report. Good for you "manning" that shovel. Great cardio. I always thought trying to walk through the deep stuff was more tiring than shoveling. Nothing like that lake effect snow. ;) We generally get a day or two of the heavy, branch breaking stuff in the spring. This past spring it fell as the trees were leafing out and the breaking branches sounded like gunshots throughout the neighborhood. Hope we don't get a repeat.

Barbie- I have now read two "Thursday Murder Club" books - the first one and the "Man Who Died Twice" and have "The Bullet that Missed" on order from the library. Have you found any authors who write similar books? I really do get hooked on these unique characters and clever and fast moving plots. I laughed out loud a lot with the first two.

One more night of lows below freezing - it was 19 this morning, managed to get up to 50 this afternoon.

I'm still keeping tabs on the electricity usage. For sure, anything that generates heat uses electricity! The oven, heaters, even the TV - you can feel it getting warm after a bit. But the TV didn't use as much as I thought it would. At the beginning of next month I'll give an summary of how everything did with the Kill a Watt.

You know, that Kill a Watt would be useful in a "tool library". It's not something a person uses all the time but would be nice to have for a week and test various appliances and fixtures.

It's getting dark so I'd better head out and grab the hummingbird feeder so it doesn't freeze tonight. The Anna's hummers just about attack me when I'm hanging it out on these 20 degree mornings. :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Hello again!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! They warm my heart.

I did my dumbbells Yay! I'm back up to thirty reps. Yay! Except for the crunches, after twenty I got a weird pain along my right leg. So that will take a little longer.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, "Killers of a Certain Age" by Deanna Raybourn "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman

:)Annie, I have an extra memory card in my Android phone which I think is what allows me to have so much music, so many podcasts, one audio book and one or more e books on the kindle app. I have a ton of entertainment at my fingertips.

:)Pip, sending hugs to you and Lucy. <3

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA