WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Karen I think it was you that told me about a site on Facebook that you could become a member of and give things away to people for free in your zip code. I do not remember what that name is and I have lots of stuff to give away! I had thought that I joined up, but cannot find the group. If this wasn’t you, can anybody help me??

💕 Mary from Arizona\Minnesota

Buy Nothing is the name of the group.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,842 Member
    Options
    Mangoes! Does anybody have any experience with how to cut them up??

Yes.
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Two ways I peel mango. Peel the whole thing then slice off both thick sides then the thin sides or before peeling it, cut the two thick sides off, score it, push it inside out and cut the cubes off then trim the thin sides.

Thanks for the reminder- I have a few that I need to use up.

I use a different method that my daughter-in-law taught me.

The mangos here are usually so ripe that we can't peel and slice well. So we use a water glass.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Annie :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH is in a medical rehabilitation facility. He is doing well and improving. 😊
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Two ways I peel mango. Peel the whole thing then slice off both thick sides then the thin sides or before peeling it, cut the two thick sides off, score it, push it inside out and cut the cubes off then trim the thin sides.

Thanks I have never bought a whole mango only had it in a mixed fruit container and I thought I would try it. It looks totally different than I thought it would! Thanks for telling me how to get rid of all my extra stuff!! I know that I had tried to sign up for my local group, but never got any feedback after I gave them my information. I will try again. Thanks!

Annie
    🎉🎂🥳Happy Birthday 🥳 🎂🎉
    I know it’s on Sunday, but I will probably forget by then!! Have a great one!
    Thanks for information about Freecycle as well. I will have to look that up to see if that might be the way to go since I never got a response back from the other.

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

she brought me a carton of ice cream and a block of cheese. She said Daddy always brought us ice cream and cheese when we were sick. I think she made that up, because I do not remember it.

:) I laughed when I read this because it reminded me that my father's food to make sick people feel better was soft boiled eggs and tomato juice.

<3 Barbie

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I use a different method that my daughter-in-law taught me.

The mangos here are usually so ripe that we can't peel and slice well. So we use a water glass.

Machka in Oz

OK now you got my curiosity up what do you do with the glass??

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options

Thanks I have never bought a whole mango only had it in a mixed fruit container and I thought I would try it. It looks totally different than I thought it would! Thanks for telling me how to get rid of all my extra stuff!! I know that I had tried to sign up for my local group, but never got any feedback after I gave them my information. I will try again. Thanks!

Annie
    🎉🎂🥳Happy Birthday 🥳 🎂🎉
    I know it’s on Sunday, but I will probably forget by then!! Have a great one!
    Thanks for information about Freecycle as well. I will have to look that up to see if that might be the way to go since I never got a response back from the other.

I have never had good luck with fresh mango. Most likely, I don't know how to pick them correctly because we didn't eat them when I was a kid. However, we have had a lot of enjoyment out of canned mango. It's expensive; almost $3.00 a can (and not a large can, either), but it tastes so good that I don't mind getting it as a treat for everyone now and then. I can't always find it either.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked then the soup kitchen. Now home and I think I’ll take a walk. Going to see “Lifespan of a Fact” play tonight.

Katla – I’m so sorry to hear about your dh not being “with it”. Hopefully, things will turn around soon

Last night Jess called and said that we should have Thanksgiving here since we have a bed. I said that I really didn’t care either way (what else could I say?) Vince said that he overheard Colby saying that the last time we were there, he had a terrible night’s sleep on the air mattress. This is probably it. Jess said that she needed to “ruminate” over it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we have it here. I haven’t made a Thanksgiving dinner in years. If it is going to be here, I think I’d like to ask this one couple I know from bowling since I know that they will be alone.

Lanette – when I first heard that Buffalo was going to get 4’ of snow, my first thought was “hope Beth is ok and her mom”. From what I understand, it’s supposed to snow into Sunday. Well, she can keep it….lol

I tell you, where I had the skin tag removed yesterday is ITCHY!!!

pip – those pooches are sure lucky to have you!

Mary – now you know why I only buy mangoes cut up or freeze-dried!!!

Anne DE – happy early birthday!

Just got back from seeing “lifespan of a fact”. Very thought provoking. Need to talk to Jess, see when she wants to have Thanksgiving. We usually had it the day after Thanksgiving when we’d go to her place. I also want to talk to her about the menu so I can buy things

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Had my phone appointment with the dietician this morning. Went well but need to really change some things.
    First, she said don't think so much about the calories- think more about balance.
    No more intermittened fasting- My metabolism is too low. It is asleep from the time I go to bed until I eat my first meal which has been around 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon so not awake long enough.
    I need to eat a small breakfast of fiber and protein to get it started in the morning and have small snacks and more balanced meals.
    Need to add some carbs to it.
    They are focusing on getting A1C and Cholesterol down because they are too high.
    Exercise is good and to keep it up-
    Be careful with snacks- be sure they are balanced and good portion control on some things.

I will start with small changes and see how I feel.
    I will have a piece of whole wheat toast and some baby bel cheese before I go walk. I have been have a cheese before walking the past few days but not the bread too.

I lose more when I eat more often and keep my calories a bit over 1200. I am going to try to lose 5lbs between now and New Year’s we’ll see how I do.

Tracey
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Rori great advice for Katla about taking a yoga class. It seems that you are taking great care of yourself. I love hearing about your adventures!

Tracey so sorry to hear about your SIL’s grandmother passing away 💕. It sounds like she was a very special part of the family and will be missed 💕 Hugs and prayers for your family and the extended family and friends 💕

Michele that’s the only way I had them. I have to let them ripen a bit before I try one! I’ll let you know how I do. Do they have a large pit or seeds??

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    My little part time job is going to ramp up these next 2 months, and that suits me fine. I feel fortunate to be free of holiday obligations and stress. I like to see other people having a fun time, so I've signed up to work the holidays. Some of the shows, like The Nutcracker will be performed 2x a day, and since I'll already be at the Performing Arts Center, I'll pull a double. And, the basketball season is on, so I've also signed up to work games when my favorite team is in town. On those shifts I usually scan tickets for the first half, then go into the arena and watch the rest of the game while giving the inside ushers their breaks. Easy peasy. Got to watch the play "My Fair Lady" last night. I hadn't heard the soundtrack in years, but all the lyrics came flooding back as I distinctly remember my mom taking us to the drive in to see the movie with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. I've got "Little Bit of Luck" stuck in my head now.....

Healing energy going down the wire to all of you who need and want it for yourselves or those you care for. Stay WELL, friends. We can do this. 💪🏽

Rori
    Colorado Foothills where snow has fallen and temps are below freezing

That sounds like fun! I have the "My Fair Lady" movie and watch it from time to time.

My Son In Law’s grandmother passed away this morning. My grandchildren are quite close to her, they are going to be hurting.
    She treated my daughter like one of her own, she was the only one in the family that did. I worry about that too.

She was playing on a teeter totter with her Great Grands last month, after celebrating her 85th birthday and 65th wedding anniversary. Two weeks ago she had a stomach ache and when she went to the hospital she was told she had a cancerous growth on her gallbladder. I’m glad she didn’t suffer long.

Tracey in Edmonton

So sorry. :(

Food when sick: my mother always fed us chicken noodle Cup a Soup, soda crackers, ginger ale and coca cola. If it was a cold, she'd add orange juice. If I had a sore throat, it would be popsicles.

Most of the time, I have a "sickness kit" in the cupboard/freezer consisting of most of those things.

Mangos: In Canada, the mangos were hard as rock and a little bit sour. People seemed to like them like that, but I didn't.

When I came to Australia the first time, I was cycling through Queensland when the mangoes were ripe. Some towns had mango trees that lined the streets, and the mangos were dropping off, so my cycling partner and I would stop, gather them up, and eat them throughout the day.

Although, "eat them" wasn't really accurate ... we drank them. They were so ripe, we'd lop off one end and drink, then scoop out whatever was vaguely solid with a spoon. They were so sweet and wonderful!

The mangoes we have in the shops now are just about like that. I'm sort of wondering if they might be left over from last season because the fresh ones are usually a bit firmer at this time of year.

Mangoes have a peel, a large stone, and the edible flesh. The edible flesh has fibres around it as well and they are edible too.

When I pick them, I choose a mango that's fairly heavy, has plump cheeks, and is a little bit soft when gently squeezed.

I love them. They're right up there among my favourite fruits, but they are 200 calories so I have to limit my consumption a bit.

As for peeling them with a water glass, it's like this:

https://youtu.be/xGOgM6yo-E0

Machka in Oz