WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith’s Step Workout. Jess said that she has to leave today since she’s oncall tomorrow so I will probably be a nice guy and ask the manager of BK if she’d like me to come in tomorrow and give her additional prep for Sat. and Sun. I will not go in Sun, that’s the day I usually have off, anyway, and there’s no way I want to give that up.

Allie – Did Miles have mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes in your hand are really good, so is cranberry sauce after you’ve squeezed it (so I understand). Adorable picture. I love those pictures, I get to live vicariously thru you all the firsts that I missed.

The turkey was REALLY juicy. Not sure if it’s because I got a young turkey or because I had it in the brine. I do wish, tho, that it had browned up more. But the meat was very juicy, even the white meat which can sometimes be a bit dry.

Like Annie, back to healthy eating today. After Jess leaves, I plan to throw some things out. Like some of the garlic potatoes. I know that there’s all sorts of butter and heavy cream in them. I’m the only one who’ll eat garlic potatoes, anyway. And I sure don’t need them. I don’t want to hurt Colby’s feelings by throwing them out while he’s here. I also dumped out the rest of the wine. It was nice of him to think, but I love the Golden Scuppernog in sweet, he got a semi dry and I won’t drink it. That was probably for the best, anyway. So after they left, it went in the drain.

Rebecca – so very glad you had a good time. Were you playing Ticket to Ride? I wish Vince would play more board games. I really don’t want to go to the airport to play with the Newcomers.

Debbie – One of the nice things I find with Rummikub is that you don’t need to concentrate really hard like you have to in bridge or even mahjongg. The last people I played with not only had to put all the groups together and runs together, but in the groups every one had to have the same color scheme. To me, this was a bit too much OCD, but I lived.

Jess did most of the cooking. Really, not like there was that much. She wanted to put the pumpkin pie in the oven to warm. Of course, with the cream on top, the cream became like water. But it still had good taste. I will keep two slices for me and give Colby the rest. I’m the only one who’ll eat it, anyway.

Went to Lowe’s Hardware this morning and found these Nutcracker blowmolds that Vince mentioned once before but they didn’t have. Guess they didn’t have them online, but they had them in the store. Then went to WalMart just to get a few things.

Barbara – I love my Roomba so much that I bought one for the downstairs! We named the one upstairs Buzz like Buzz Lightyear, and the one downstairs we named Hubble as in the Hubble in space. The robotic cleaner for the pool is named Rover. You know where that name came from!

Karen – I remember getting a bit annoyed at MIL but then I started thinking “if that were me, how would I feel with someone I love is getting “short” with me or feeling annoyed when I can’t help it?” That helped me to feel more tolerant and get good at my “oh, really?”’s (((HUG))) I can’t help wondering why your spouse pushed before for the CCRC. Did she know something?

Jess did a good job of cooking, even tho I had to do the dishes. She couldn’t understand why I wanted to make the biscuits ahead of time and just leave them in the warming tray. I tried to explain that we didn’t have room in the oven for everything. She insisted that rolls can be made in the convection oven. That’s one thing you should not put in a convection oven. I really haven’t used mine much so I’m not comfortable with the timing, etc.

I used to set the kitchen clock 5 minutes fast so that we’d be leaving on time and not have to rush

It was drizzling this morning so I didn’t get to go for my walk. Maybe after Jess and Colby leave I will be able to

katla – how horrible for your daughter! I love my freezer. The only thing I wish is that it was larger. One thing is that I definitely wanted a self defrost one. The one I had before wasn’t self defrost and it really got to be a pain to defrost.

Rita – hope you feel better fast

Mary – no refrigerator! How terrible. Hope there isn’t any delay getting the new one.

Jess gave me these bananas that she had frozen. She froze them in the peel, why I really don’t know. It just makes it that much longer for it to defrost. Anyway, they were so soft that I couldn’t put them in the freezer so I made banana chocolate chip muffins. I’ll give them some when they come in 2 weeks for the TSO concert.

Allie – you know who Miles reminds me of? That boy in the Christmas Story who is so bundled up that he can’t move.

Jess left and the nice guy in me texted the store manager and asked her if she wanted me tomorrow. So far, no answer. If I don’t hear from her, I’m not just going to show up. I’ll do Lift Weights to Lose Weight DVD and then probably go for a walk. Was able to get for a walk after Jess left.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I spent several hours with DH today. Our daughter brought him a new coat that will keep him warm in cold weather. ❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,568 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    On introverts & extroverts: Machka,
    thank you for your list and that's me too.

I get an email from "Introvert Dear" every Friday morning and this came in today's feed.

I would add that for me, a sure way for an extrovert to injure a relationship with an introvert is to not honor their desire for solitude by attempting to lay a guilt trip on them: Example: "So if you don't want to walk with me today, then I guess you don't want to walk with me anymore?" I interpret that as "so you don't like me anymore?" Introverts like me aren't good at dealing with relationships based on feelings and what we interpret as manipulation, whether that's how the extrovert meant it or not.

Also, by not accepting the introvert's communication style. I usually want to get my news via email, message or text. Not the phone, not in person most of the time - a lunch is nice but that usually fills my need for a month. So when I ask "how are you doing/how was your doctor visit?" out of genuine concern and I get a response, "I'll tell you the next time I see you," just maybe the next time won't happen. ;)

https://introvertdear.com/news/extroverted-behaviors-that-annoy-introverts/

Yes, especially lately that first one: 1. Showing up at your desk unannounced with lots of questions. I'm trying to work out the logic of a database management system and I'm in the depths of that when a work colleague appears at my elbow with all the questions.

On intermittent fasting and weight gain:
    I've been gaining weight during the past couple weeks, I'm pretty sure it's because I'm eating an early breakfast, then lunch and dinner and loading up on sweets before I'm going to bed- which likely are triggering the early morning hunger and the cycle repeats. 3 meals a day and several snacks.

I had been on a loose 16:8 IF protocol... first meal around 10:00 am, then 2nd meal at 2:30 or 3, finishing all eating by 6 pm. Even with eating some late in the day sweets, ignoring those 5 am hunger pangs and not giving in until late morning kept my weight in check - and even with no deliberate calorie or carb restriction.

Time to get my self back on the 16:8. Shouldn't be hard today since I should have plenty of energy stored up from the Thanksgiving meal yesterday. Who knew that squash casserole with brown sugar and pecan topping was a thing and so addictive, and the third helping was as yummy as the first? >:)

I do an approximation of intermittent fasting. I eat between 11:30 am and about 8:30 pm during the week. 15:9.

On weekends it's usually between 1:30 and 9:30. 16:8.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Shattzie wrote: »
    Thank you all for the welcome.
    Today I logged my food for the first time. It was nice to eat without feeling bad. I had peace since I knew I was not overeating.

Cecilie, Norway

I like that about logging my food too. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    Spot the Hazard Game

"Slips, trips and falls can happen to anyone but as you get older the chance of it happening to you increases. With around half of all falls happening in and around the home it is important to make your home safer so you can get on with enjoying the fun things in life.

Spot the Hazard will help you find and make the changes needed to make your home safer, use the Stay On Your Feet® Home Safety Checklist to find simple and low cost trips."

https://www.injurymatters.org.au/programs/stay-on-your-feet/information-for-over-60s/learn-more-about-falls/spot-the-hazard/

Give it a go!

I did the bathroom one just now and found more than they indicate. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    rn4umyd6alms.png

My Need for Alone Time Is Not a Reflection on You
    https://introvertdear.com/news/introvert-need-for-alone-time-not-a-reflection-on-you/

As an introvert, my need for alone time doesn’t mean I don’t value your company or I’m rejecting you.
  • Machka9
    Options
    For the minimalists among us ... :)

I thought of you, Heather, and your new Christmas flower decoration. :)

10 Christmas decorating ideas for minimalists
    https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/christmas-ideas-simple-christmas-decorations

I like a couple of these, but especially this one:

a9rjnxdk3ona.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.
    15. Season - I like the seasons in the following order from best to worst: Summer, Autumn ............ Spring ................... Winter.
    16. What about your body are you grateful for? Healing ... that it heals. Mostly anyway, and perhaps imperfectly, but healing does take place.
    17. What knowledge are you grateful for? Everything I do know. It all contributes to my work, my carer role, and my other activities.
    18. Piece of art - of the arts, I think the two I appreciate the most are literature and music. On the subject of music, I have really appreciated discovering ABC Classic FM on the radio and the app on my phone. I pop in my earbuds at work and I can focus on my work while feeling relatively relaxed at the same time. :)
    19. Touch - Rhody's fur, his little wet nose, his whiskers
    20. Who in my life - my husband. I'm glad he is still in my life. My parents who have always been supportive.
    21. Song - He Is -- Mark Schultz. One of several songs that has been with me through the difficult times.
    22. Story - I'm grateful that there are so many stories! I love reading. It provides me with a much-needed distraction.
    23. Tradition - I like the little traditions of Christmas. :)
    24. Challenge - all the long distance cycling I've done over the years! :)
    25. What moment this week are you most grateful for? Now. The start of a 3-day weekend! I'm taking Monday off.
    26. What form of expression ... the written word. I like being able to communicate non-verbally through emails, facebook, etc. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    a diagnosis would be helpful, but so far none is forthcoming from her neurologist.
    Karen in Virginia

Has she had a neuropsychological assessment?

You should have answers with one of those.

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Saturday -- a very quiet day.

Tomorrow is the cycling event we're holding/organising.
    The advertising is all done. The registrations have closed. We've checked the route. The volunteers have all been briefed and one has picked up supplies. The rest will get their supplies tomorrow morning just after the event starts. The riders have had their email briefing ... so have the volunteers. All the paperwork has been printed and organised.
    Wednesday and Thursday were my busy evenings getting all the supplies and groceries organised and sorted, but they're sitting in labelled bags around our lounge room now.

And it's quiet.

My husband has been having a long nap today because there won't be an opportunity for a nap tomorrow. And Rhody is napping too.

I'm in my chair browsing the internet, doing some colouring, listening to quiet music.

This is how we handle events in our lives now.

In the past, we would have likely been out for a long bicycle ride ourselves today, or would have been otherwise busy and active. Now we have a deliberately quiet day before the event day. Downtime. Time to rest the brain. It will improve our odds of having a good day tomorrow. I've also planned some downtime tomorrow as well where we come home for a bit and just take it easy.

And I seem to need these quiet days as much as my husband does. For his sake, it's probably a good thing I'm introverted!

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,241 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Machka - My husband mentioned that his slippers, which are faux sheepskin slip-ons, are becoming a bit loose. He almost lost one on the stairs. I immediately told him to buy new secure ones with backs, that wouldn't trip him up. He has bought some fabulous real sheepskin booties with non slip soles. Much more secure. :D My new slipper-booties were bought for warmth (and style :p ) but perform the same function, very safe and don't fall off. We are up and down our stairs all the time.

I'm intending to make the Christmas pudding today - gluten free! I'm going to make a half size one as only the four adults will have any. A full size one takes 8 hours to steam! :o

Dinner will be Hairy Bikers Lamb Tagine.

Yesterday's trip to school with the girls was wonderful, (I love chatting to Edie <3 ) but it certainly threw my day out. I failed to get any writing done, :o , and I was cross with DH for walking ahead of me as we neared home with our shopping, and I was feeling the strain in my hips. He can be quite impatient with my walking difficulties, because he doesn't understand it. He can walk for hours. This does annoy me. >:) I love to walk, but I don't like being in pain.
    I never really got my day back, and ate too much in the evening.
    Funny how we do that to ourselves. :*

Today will be a good day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

PS - England drew with the USA last night. DH watched it in his study.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

My Need for Alone Time Is Not a Reflection on You
    https://introvertdear.com/news/introvert-need-for-alone-time-not-a-reflection-on-you/

As an introvert, my need for alone time doesn’t mean I don’t value your company or I’m rejecting you.

Machka - yes, this really sums it up. On the Myers Briggs scale, I was the only "NT" in my family - someone who was perfectly satisfied being alone, like you, and would sometimes take heat for it.

It's kind of funny, looking back at my childhood, my dad used to berate me for "not having a lot of friends" and "just reading and tuning everyone out" lol.

65 years ago, there was no Myers-Briggs to explain an introvert's behavior and our need to concentrate and analyze and think about things. Explore the world on our own terms, often alone.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spot the Hazard Game

"Slips, trips and falls can happen to anyone but as you get older the chance of it happening to you increases. With around half of all falls happening in and around the home it is important to make your home safer so you can get on with enjoying the fun things in life.

Spot the Hazard will help you find and make the changes needed to make your home safer, use the Stay On Your Feet® Home Safety Checklist to find simple and low cost trips."

https://www.injurymatters.org.au/programs/stay-on-your-feet/information-for-over-60s/learn-more-about-falls/spot-the-hazard/

Give it a go!

I did the bathroom one just now and found more than they indicate. :)

Machka in Oz

This is a great checklist :) I installed these nightlights/emergency lights throughout the house and they've made a big difference in navigating throughout the house at night - kitchen, living room, hall, bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Emergency-Flashlight-Hurricane-49578/dp/B07ZZNVKKV?pd_rd_w=RK2fa&content-id=amzn1.sym.deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_p=deffa092-2e99-4e9f-b814-0d71c40b24af&pf_rd_r=S4VHF8TEE2SND0RNCD9X&pd_rd_wg=kalwj&pd_rd_r=f5cb668c-1a96-41c1-a63e-df35e387d19b&pd_rd_i=B07ZZNVKKV&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_t&th=1

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Another great day to treat myself right with diet and exercise! And pay some bills and sort through stuff. Not much on my calendar today.

Annie in Delaware