WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Lisa: (((hugs))) I know how you feel. I was a mass of bruises after my op early this year, when they had difficulty finding a vein.

Pip: Poor wee Lucy. You’re such a godsend to those pooches.

DrKatie: I hope you recover soon and that the lose of smell is temporary.

Heather: Sorry you are feeling under the weather. Hope it’s nothing serious.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season. Spring is my fav season. It’s a symbol of renewal.
    16. about your body. My sturdy strength, and the ability to heal quickly. [/spoiler]
    17. knowledge. My happiness is entirely up to me. Happiness isn’t something that you have to put off until x, y, or z, or some event which may or may not happen. I look for happiness in simple things, a beautiful sky, birds singing, raindrops running down the window pane, autumn leaves. Also, it’s not my responsibility to make other people happy.
    18. piece of art. Too many to list 😂
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.
    15. Season - I like the seasons in the following order from best to worst: Summer, Autumn ............ Spring ................... Winter.
    16. What about your body are you grateful for? Healing ... that it heals. Mostly anyway, and perhaps imperfectly, but healing does take place.
    17. What knowledge are you grateful for? Everything I do know. It all contributes to my work, my carer role, and my other activities.
    18. Piece of art - of the arts, I think the two I appreciate the most are literature and music. On the subject of music, I have really appreciated discovering ABC Classic FM on the radio and the app on my phone. I pop in my earbuds at work and I can focus on my work while feeling relatively relaxed at the same time. :)

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Haven’t been able to muster motivation for a pre-brunch-guest cleaning frenzy. Instead spent an hour purging books from shelves, and another hour on desktop archeology. Today I MUST dust/vacuum the living and dining areas, give Joe’s bathroom and the kitchen a lick and a promise. Have I told you lately how much I loathe vacuuming??? :sick:

Viv thanks for checking in, you were on my mind. ((hugs)) and prayers for your mum and you.
    Ginny safe travels
    Macha Icelandic Christmas, yes!
    Lisa thought of your jeans pocket pot holders when I saw these wine bags at our Holiday Bazaar:
    7igmmaek2dnh.jpeg

Kay ((hugs)) Don’t know about how long til you’ll test negative, but even after testing negative, the fatigue lasted almost two months for me. ((hugs))
    Tina what is “the acceptable sunshine tax temperature?” :laugh:
    Congrats on meeting one goal, eweadock/ Ellie in Albuquerque. Improved health goals ARE achievable after 60.
    Pip prayers for Lucy’s appointment today, whatever the issue, may it be easily remedied.
    Annie glad your Dad came through unhurt.

Gratitude 17: knowledge=that Joe processes information way differently from how I do. This has been key in improving our communication and interaction. Thank you councilor!
    18: Piece of art: most classical music especially Copeland.

Done:
    11/17: Move:3 sets pt, dog to powerline/cistern path/games, steps:5116 :P
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) so far: almonds, apple, artichoke, avocado, beans-cannellini, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, broccoli florets, broccoli stalk, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn on the cob, cherries-dried, cranberries-dried, cucumber, garlic, grapefruit, maraschino cherry, mushrooms, mustard greens, orange, pecans, radish, romaine, satsumas, snap peas, snow peas, sweet peppers-orange, sweet peppers-red, tomato-sauce, walnuts, wasabi peas, wheat-pasta/bread. CI<CO=Y
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, two loads laundry, 1 hr purging bookshelf, 1 hr desktop archeology. Wt: 137.6

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    November: Move more (7515 steps), fuel better (protein + vegs), live NOW (time with Joe, Tumble and Shadow).
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Katla - So hard for you. <3 ((( Big hugs )))

So, today I have declared myself officially sick. Feel even worse than yesterday and DH, who is a day ahead of me, is even worse. Zero energy.
    I kept the heat on this morning, instead of letting it switch itself off at 8.20. I did no exercise, although DH managed a short session, and I did no writing. I did, however, go out round the corner to buy an anniversary card for Sunday, plus other needed cards. I somehow found myself in the butcher where I purchased pigs cheeks and a particularly wonderful vintage cheddar, plus Scotch eggs. The deli yielded more delights, as I was covering all options for our visitors, but I'm beginning to think that there won't be any visitors on Sunday if we don't make a miraculous recovery.
    I did get a Waitrose delivery order in online for tomorrow lunch time, so there will be masses of food. If they don't come, nothing will be wasted.
    I'm keeping an eye on DH to see how his symptoms go. If he is no better tomorrow, it means I will be still sick on Sunday. :'(
    This is a long awaited, long organised, difficult-to -fit-in, visit, requiring much negotiation.

I do quite like a duvet day, but one is enough.

Love Heather UK, thinking of Lisa and her poor old veins. XOXO
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla - So hard for you. <3 ((( Big hugs )))

So, today I have declared myself officially sick. Feel even worse than yesterday and DH, who is a day ahead of me, is even worse. Zero energy.

Love Heather UK, thinking of Lisa and her poor old veins. XOXO

Another go at COVID?

It's surging again.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    Got here to Miles and he promptly went to sleep..I have the touch. .will check in later..
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I am in my apartment after visiting DH. I am worried about his health and our living situation. I don’t have a clear idea about what to do next. I need a wise advisor. One of the skilled nurses here seems like someone who might give good advice. 🤞🏻

Yes, asking one of the skilled nurses is a good idea.

But sometimes you just have to wait.

Waiting is a large portion of what I've been doing for the past almost 5 years.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    <3Katla, waiting is hard. Hugs to you.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    B)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tina what is “the acceptable sunshine tax temperature?” :laugh:
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    November: Move more (7515 steps), fuel better (protein + vegs), live NOW (time with Joe, Tumble and Shadow).

75 degrees F (23.9 C)is acceptable. Anything under that means outrage and we want our tax money back!

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Love the grateful list but knew I had to make it easier than going back and forth…
    Grateful:
    1 smell. Damp redwoods
    2 technology. electricity
    3 color. Yellow – the sun
    4 food. Soup
    5 sound. Birds
    6 nature. Ilove it all, gardening, walking, feeling far enough away from the hurry hurry of the city

7 memory. My dad, he died in 1977 and he had a huge impact on me
    8 book. Poems by Robert Service
    9 place. Gualala, CA I love camping there
    10 taste. Sweet – especially ice cream on warm berry pie
    11 holiday. Christmas but sometimes my birthday - I can be in charge of my B-day and Christmas includes potential for too much drama
    12 texture. Cashmere – soft fuzzy
    13 abilities. I am thankful I am resourceful and persistent
    14 sight. My vision has improved as I have aged and I am very grateful
    15 season. Fall is my favorite followed by spring, then winter and last is summer
    16 about your body. I like my hair, it is thick, and is pretty easy to manage.
    17 knowledge.
    18 piece of art.
    19 touch.
    20 who.
    21 song.
    22 story.
    23 tradition.
    24 challenge.
    25 moment this week.
    26 form of expression.
    27 daily use item.
    28 what happen today.
    29 friend/family member.
    30 talent or skill
    So it is interesting to hear different cultural takes on tipping and Christmas giving to trades/service folks. And I appreciate everyone to jumped in to share their ways of gift giving.
    However I also feel sad that no one really read my post and understood I was celebrating getting the cookie giving controlled a bit so it would be more fun, more appropriate. Instead there was a lot of negative talk about giving baked goods, and even making any homemade food to share.
    This is not the first time lately I have felt sad about my interactions here. We have talked about less sharing for reasons of privacy but I am going to do much less sharing as I am feeling that we are losing our attitude of support of one another, and are feeling too comfortable in negative judging.
    Kim in N. California

____

So so sorry, Kim! I really was just trying to answer the question you asked about what do others do instead of cookies. I used to do cookies for neighbors and friends. I think you've done an admirable job of reining it in so cookie giving will be more joyful. Also want to add that usually when I received a gift from a client, I did not reciprocate. I did send a Thank You note, though. xoxo

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    {{{{{{{{katla}}}}}}}}}

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    Betsy - Enjoy your time with family!

Katla - Many hugs. I'm glad your husband is doing well.

Heather - Hope your DH's illness and yours settle down before your guests are supposed to come in. Sounds really awful.

SueBDew - Enjoy your week of company...

VivUK - Always glad to see you! Hope your mom is doing better.

Allie - love the story of Miles taking Carmine a book to read. Babies are just irrestible...

Rebecca - Speaking of irresistible, love seeing Athena feeling better too.

Thank you all for the sympathy on my aging veins. *sigh* I look down and I see my mother's hands, there were always bruises there, too... and the swollen knuckles of arthritis. But they work, and I'm grateful for that.

My second cup of tea in hand, just trying to get warm... snow flurries outside, mixed with rain, and the temperature's hovering at freezing. Gray day, good day to be inside with a hot beverage, talking to y'all and talking to my family and friends.

The usual domestic goddess soundtrack going--dishwasher, washer, dryer. Will try to get in 20 minutes of exercise again today. Did well with it yesterday.

Welcome to the new ones, we're glad you're here! Hope it's a good day for all....

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    Betsy - Enjoy your time with family!

[

The usual domestic goddess soundtrack going--dishwasher, washer, dryer. Will try to get in 20 minutes of exercise again today. Did well with it yesterday.

Welcome to the new ones, we're glad you're here! Hope it's a good day for all....

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I have never heard that but is perfect- add in the sound of the vacuum and you have the perfect quartet :smiley:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!

Beth - are you out there under a snowdrift? I heard on the news some areas of Buffalo possibly getting up to 4' of snow, but it's spotty. Hope you are snug and warm whatever the case.

Heather - sorry to hear you have the crud, hope it's mild and you are back enjoying things you want to do soon.

Betsy - have a good trip to Alaska catching up with everyone. Sounds like a lot of nice things coming up for you. <3

Katla - so happy your DH is being well taken care of. Seems like lots of unknowns for you right now, but lots to be grateful for. You've had a lot of changes in your and your DH's life this past year.

Barbara - those wine bags made from old jeans are clever and cute. I bet a person could use them to hold all kinds of things - nice gift idea for sure.

Pip - hope Lucy doesn't have anything serious going on. Good you are taking them to your vet. And good luck! They need to be in good shape to go on adventures with you in the new Betty!

Katiebug - interesting the differences in recommendations about a person with Covid. When I had it a couple months ago, the only restriction, once I had symptoms and positive test, was to isolate for 5 days, which was perfect because I didn't feel like going anywhere anyhow. After the 5 days, seems a person was good to go unless still symptomatic then wear a mask if out and about and with others if I'm remembering right. Never a suggestion to keep testing until no longer positive or isolation. So similar to Tracey's.

A good friend of mine and her doctor both never did test positive but surely had it, loss of sense of smell and the whole 9 yards. My friend was out and about for weeks thinking it was a terrible cold. Good to be on the safe side though.

Sun is shining and I need to head outside again. It's still frosty out there but there's plenty to do in the shop.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    Had my phone appointment with the dietician this morning. Went well but need to really change some things.
    First, she said don't think so much about the calories- think more about balance.
    No more intermittened fasting- My metabolism is too low. It is asleep from the time I go to bed until I eat my first meal which has been around 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon so not awake long enough.
    I need to eat a small breakfast of fiber and protein to get it started in the morning and have small snacks and more balanced meals.
    Need to add some carbs to it.
    They are focusing on getting A1C and Cholesterol down because they are too high.
    Exercise is good and to keep it up-
    Be careful with snacks- be sure they are balanced and good portion control on some things.

I will start with small changes and see how I feel.
    I will have a piece of whole wheat toast and some baby bel cheese before I go walk. I have been have a cheese before walking the past few days but not the bread too.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options