60 yrs and up

Replies

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Happy belated birthday Ann - hope you enjoyed your day! ๐ŸŒผ ๐ŸŒป ๐Ÿ’ ๐ŸŒน ๐Ÿ’œ
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Hey all, has been glorious Fall weather where I am, sunny & breezy, colder overnight (right around freezing) but reasonably warm by afternoon (like 9C or 48F).

I must say though that I have been mostly witnessing it all through a window, I am in a bit of a funk lately and not sleeping until close to sunrise, then sleeping until noon or so. This contributed to an overeating problem (is it still considered LNS when it's 4am??) But I also think shorter days heading into winter triggers something in our hunger levels; struggling to manage our calories/portions etc and I believe the time of year is impacting us all - and maybe my funk too?

Anyways, good news is this week I seem to be able to manage a deficit again, albeit a small one (reset my MFP goal to 1/2 lb a week) and that seems to be doable.

I reread the 'Ann Plan' and that definitely helped! Reviewing my diary in that light,
    all to easy to forget about basics.
    Couldn't post a link though - Ann, perhaps you could ๐Ÿ™?
    WITH THE ANN PLAN - WE CAN!

I am also very thankful we Canucks already had Thanksgiving so I can have a clear run diet wise for next month or so before Christmas ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐ŸŽ„

Keep sticking with it folks - the alternative is not pretty ๐Ÿ˜˜
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited November 2022
    (snip good stuff)

I reread the 'Ann Plan' and that definitely helped! Reviewing my diary in that light,
    all to easy to forget about basics.
    Couldn't post a link though - Ann, perhaps you could ๐Ÿ™?
    WITH THE ANN PLAN - WE CAN!
    I'm glad it helped!

But, to the bolded . . . ๐Ÿ˜ฌ (kinda yikes), to be honest! It's what a lot of people around here seem to do (or similar), on the road to long term success - it's not an Ann-y thing. ;)

I'd encourage folks to read it, give it a think; if it appeals, give it a try; if it works . . . then it's the YOU plan, y'know?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

If it doesn't float your boat, try something else. Different tactics work for different people. If some approach doesn't work - this one or any other - it's not any kind of personal failure. It just means a person hasn't found the right approach for themselves yet, and they've crossed one candidate off the list of potentials. That's a useful learning experience. Try. Something. Else. Just keep going.

I am also very thankful we Canucks already had Thanksgiving so I can have a clear run diet wise for next month or so before Christmas ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐ŸŽ„

Keep sticking with it folks - the alternative is not pretty ๐Ÿ˜˜

Oh, man, I hear you on that holiday thing. My birthday was this week (I'm still full!), US Thanksgiving next week, then we're rolling toward Christmas and New Years.

But it's only a few days, if we treat it as such. Just keep going! :)

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Belated happy birthday @AnnPT77! I'm away so haven't been on here much other than to log so I missed it! Glad you had an enjoyable day ๐Ÿ™‚
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Happy Belated Birthday @AnnPT77!
  • MyFdLog
    MyFdLog Posts: 2 Member
    Are you still going in November 2022?
  • AnnPT77
    Are you still going in November 2022?

@MyFdLog, yup - looks like. There are already 4 pages at the end of this thread from just this month, and we're only a little bit past the month's mid-point. ;)

As usual with any long-running MFP Community thread, the newest posts are at the end, on the high-numbered pages.

No need to read the whooooole thread in order participate, but if you take a few minutes to read the most recent 2-3 pages, you'll get a picture of the nature of the interaction, plus some of the personalities.

Welcome!
  • AnnPT77
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค—
  • AnnPT77
    H1L5 wrote: ยป
    Hi Everyone. Can I join the over 60s please? I'm 73 and have had to keep track of my weight most of my life. Records show I first joined mfp in 2013 when I lost about 20 pounds and got down to 145 pounds. Moving on 7 or 8 years and I was back up to 165 pounds May 2021. Since then I got back on it and I'm now maintaining at around 134 pounds. I don't want to put this weight back on. At 73 years of age I want to just enjoy being slim enough to look in my wardrobe and know everything fits me. As a yo yoer I need like minded people round me. I do my food diary almost everyday, the only exercise I ever do is a yoga class once a week and that's for oldies so not too hectic.

Hi, and welcome @H1L5: You've met the "admission requirements"! ;)

There are people here at all stages of weight management, from just starting out, to maintaining longer term - all of us 60+, or at least close. (I'm maintaining, not far from where you are, age 67.) I'm sure you'll have some good perspectives and ideas to help those just starting, and hope you'll find the support you need, too.

Yoga is great: I've kind of let it slip out of my days most of the time, but I need to work on that. When I make it a point to do some regularly, even just a bit, it makes my joints feel . . . somehow more well-oiled? Good stuff!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    H1L5 wrote: ยป
    Hi Everyone. Can I join the over 60s please? I'm 73 and have had to keep track of my weight most of my life. Records show I first joined mfp in 2013 when I lost about 20 pounds and got down to 145 pounds. Moving on 7 or 8 years and I was back up to 165 pounds May 2021. Since then I got back on it and I'm now maintaining at around 134 pounds. I don't want to put this weight back on. At 73 years of age I want to just enjoy being slim enough to look in my wardrobe and know everything fits me. As a yo yoer I need like minded people round me. I do my food diary almost everyday, the only exercise I ever do is a yoga class once a week and that's for oldies so not too hectic.

@H1L5 you've come to the right place! There are several of us over the age of 70 posting on this thread. I have found so much support and inspiration here. I myself turned 70 in October so I am close to your age. Sounds like you have done a great job losing the weight. I totally understand the yo yo dieting myself. Been there, done that many times over. I have not reached maintenance yet, still in the losing phase, but I am also encouraged by reading the posts of long term maintainers. So many people with good advice on staying the course. Welcome!
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    yep feel free to add me. 62, soon to be 63. Back to MFP after prolonged absence. Had lost 60# previously with the help of MFP. Unfortunately 40 of them found their way back over the past few years. Tried keto and the weight fell off but I found it not sustainable. Going back to just calories.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Welcome @rustyvicinie!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Welcome to all the new people and returning ones!

There used to be a Canadian military helicopter and by the time they were retired from use, they required 30 hours of maintenance for every hour of flying. That is me. I love to run and cross country ski and paddle and snowshoe and hike and walk my dogs. But for every hour of daily activity I do, I feel like I require 30-45 minutes of stretching or yoga ๐Ÿ˜† But it keeps me active and moving, which is so important at our age.

We've been visiting our son who recently moved to a new region of the province. Absolutely gorgeous and even though we were visiting, still managed to get in at least 10,000 steps per day hiking with the dogs on snowy trails. Also, I consider walking in snow hard work (not quite enough yet for skiis or snowshoes) so those 10,000 steps feel like way more haha Now it's time to buckle down and eat well for the next month ๐Ÿ™‚
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    edited November 2022
    Me too, +/- 30 lbs.

My health is good. I just fell off the exercise and healthy eating wagon.

Iโ€™ve tried to add some of you as friends, but MFP has changed so much since I last used it. I donโ€™t know how to add people anymore!

Add me. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi, I post on here occasionally. I am almost 73 (next month!). Lost about 30# when I joined, but would like to lose 10-15# more. I guess I have not been focused enough on that, but have been basically maintaining for years, which is still an accomplishment. I try to walk daily on the treadmill (or outside if nice, but Iโ€™m in Iowa, so cold now, lol) & have started โ€œseniorโ€ exercises. They focus a lot on balance which is important at our age.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Me too, +/- 30 lbs.

My health is good. I just fell off the exercise and healthy eating wagon.

Iโ€™ve tried to add some of you as friends, but MFP has changed so much since I last used it. I donโ€™t know how to add people anymore!

Add me. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

One way to add friends is to select the user name of the person you want to friend, the hyperlink will take you to their profile page. Thereโ€™s a friend request button on the memberโ€™s profile page.