For the love of Produce...

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Regarding granny smith in slaws. I typically substitute hard to find green papaya or green mango for a combination of spiralized carrots and granny smith in SE Asian salads such as Som Tam. A combination of grated celeriac and granny smith would work too, I think.
    I'd like those variations - the relatives would balk at it, because I think they'd *see* it. So weird, to me!

The young-adult nephew was offended when he learned that the chocolate chip cookies he'd liked on tasting - had bananas! 🤣

I don't mind pushing their perceptions generally . . . less on holidays, though.

Holidays are hug time. They keep me in their circle - the widowed relative - on sufferance. I appreciate that deeply, want to please them.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    I eat an insane amount of veggies starting with breakfast. Roasted/cast iron/steamed, you name it. Sometimes I'll get em all cooked up and zap em in the Vitamix for a nice soup. I also grow Ponderosa lemons. Baby those giant tart girls like a momma bear till just perfect for harvest!

Ugli fruit is my winter love <3 sooo hard to find. Its always a conundrum for the produce manager.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I mourn that older varieties of apples are less available. Most of the modern ones are too sweet, too simple tasting, and I don't love the texture. Granny Smith taste fine, but I'd prefer something of firmness intermediate between that and the average run of apples. I'd like some more tartness, some wine-y-ness than most of the sweety-sweet moderns. Rave apples were better than average, though not ideal, but I don't often see them. My old school favorites are Winesaps, but I almost never see them anymore.

I've tried too many of the newer varieties to list. Does anyone have any to suggest that I might look out for?

Thanks!
    I have the same problem. I noticed that apples are usually classified as "crunchy" or "sweet" here in Toronto, no one seems to be talking about taste. My (slightly extreme) thoughts on that is that glass test tubes are very crunchy and icing sugar is very sweet. Neither are particularly attractive as foods. As for Granny Smith, to me, they are comparable to test tubes covered in citric acid.

I tend to eat Cortland apples the most, they are fragile and don't last long, but they are probably the tastiest I can find in my neck of the woods.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    I think you get more crunchy bang for your buck if you can find tree-ripened apples directly at the farm. I was lucky to nab a huge box of tree-ripened apples and the taste/crunch/sweetness couldn't be rivaled by any 6-10 month storage-bin apple!
  • AnnPT77
    I think you get more crunchy bang for your buck if you can find tree-ripened apples directly at the farm. I was lucky to nab a huge box of tree-ripened apples and the taste/crunch/sweetness couldn't be rivaled by any 6-10 month storage-bin apple!

When possible, I'm getting mine at farmers markets from local-ish growers. Generally, if it's apple season, they will have been picked in the past day or so. But a too-sweet too-simple (to my taste) apple variety is still too sweet and too simple, even if fresh. I agree that tree-ripened and fresh-picked are usually best, within any given variety, though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,876 Member
    I don't normally cook squashes besides courgette as they are generally too big for our household of two. We were supposed host a friend for dinner who cancelled at the last minute and I prepared the planned roast dinner anyway. What do you do with two thirds of of a leftover roast butternut squash? It is not sweetened really, as I sprinkled the tiniest pinch of brown sugar on top. We have a couple of leftover roast new potatoes and a little roast cherry tomato, both skin on too.

Was considering a soup made by sauteeing some onion, adding scooped out leftover squash and peeled leftover potato and skin on tomatoes. Blitzing that with the immersion blender and maybe adding a handful of split red lentils. Maybe stir in the leftover bit of Philly light cream cheese languishing in the fridge just before serving?

Ideas on what to do with the squash and other roast veg welcome.
  • AnnPT77
    I don't normally cook squashes besides courgette as they are generally too big for our household of two. We were supposed host a friend for dinner who cancelled at the last minute and I prepared the planned roast dinner anyway. What do you do with two thirds of of a leftover roast butternut squash? It is not sweetened really, as I sprinkled the tiniest pinch of brown sugar on top. We have a couple of leftover roast new potatoes and a little roast cherry tomato, both skin on too.

Was considering a soup made by sauteeing some onion, adding ?scooped out leftover squash and peeled leftover potato and skin on tomatoes. Blitzing that with the immersion blender and maybe adding a handful of split red lentils. Maybe stir in the leftover bit of Philly light cream cheese languishing in the fridge just before serving?

Ideas on what to do with the squash and other roast veg .

The soup would be good. I'd consider sage or something smoked (smoked hot peppers are nice with squash IMO). Some toasted seeds (something hull-less, maybe pepitas or sunflower?) on top or blended in (or both) are good, IMO, too.

But I don't usually have leftover squash, unless you count my intentional vast freezer stockpile!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,975 Member
    @acpgee

If you make the soup, and if "fishy" fish is something you eat, add a can of mackerel right before you serve the soup. I ate a lot of winter squash soup with mackerel when I was in grad school. Makes me nostalgic. Maybe I'll make some. I bet it would be good with salmon, too.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @acpgee

If you make the soup, and if "fishy" fish is something you eat, add a can of mackerel right before you serve the soup. I ate a lot of winter squash soup with mackerel when I was in grad school. Makes me nostalgic. Maybe I'll make some. I bet it would be good with salmon, too.
    Most fish will be great, but the fattiest are probably best indeed. I love sardines, especially fresh or frozen ones, but even the canned ones are a great addition, which is what I usually do since fresh/frozen ones are usually not available where I live.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited December 2022
    Because I wanted to make room in the freezer, I cooked lentils tonight in crayfish bisque instead of water. Wow. I will use stock from now on to cook legumes. Why didn't I think of this before?
    I am staying away from lentils for now, because of the calories and because of the excess digestible carbs, but cooking lentils, and any other legumes or grains in stock/broth can give them a very good taste indeed. I've done that for years in my rice cooker. It is totally effortless and the results can be truly delectable. One of my favourites is to cook lentils with sardines.
  • acpgee
    I was wondering if I should post this here or on the cheese thread. Turkish salad of watermelon, feta and mint dressed with a little drizzle of pomegranate molasses and olive oil.
    3ocfvgma41qm.jpeg
  • acpgee
    A boiled artichoke and hollandaise. The artichoke didn't have much flesh under the leaves. Is that a seasonal thing?
    xtpcij15p797.jpeg
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    A boiled artichoke and hollandaise. The artichoke didn't have much flesh under the leaves. Is that a seasonal thing?
    xtpcij15p797.jpeg
    I have never seen artichokes that had a lot of flesh under the leaves. I quite love them, but never eat them. It is just not worth the effort in my opinion. Of course, perspectives can differ. My tiny bachelor-suite galley "kitchen" encourages minimalism where cooking is concerned.

• mtaratoot
    @acpgee

Did you get them cooked all the way?

The artichokes I grow tend to be on the small side compared to some of the giant things I see in the store. I find if I don't cook them long enough, the meat doesn't soften up; it seems like it's not there. Of course if I cook them too long, they just fall apart. I steam them upside down rather than boiling. Sometimes I'll steam them halfway and then cut into halves or quarters and roast with maybe some garlic and butter on the cut side. I ran some through my smoker before it stopped working.

I can also imagine that if the artichoke had been in storage or transport a while, it might dry out. When I cut artichokes from my garden, I cut very long stems and keep them in water rather than the refrigerator. I don't know if you could do that to store 'chokes to "bring 'em back," but if you try it, cut a little bit off the stem first so it will be opened up to let water in. Of course they trim 'em pretty close for the retail market so it may not be possible to rehydrate them.

I only eat artichokes for the six or eight weeks that I harvest them from the back yard. The plants have become perennial. They have also mutated; the points of the leaves point OUT rather than be a nice globe. They hurt when they stick you. They also are so much more packed with flavor than any I've had from the store. They are so tasty, I often don't even use any butter. A little clarified butter mixed with olive oil and garlic can be a nice addition, but if I cut them and steam them right away, they don't need anything else.
  • AnnPT77
    I know nothing about artichokes or their culture.

What I've observed in limited personal experience: When I ate them in prime artichoke growing areas close to harvest season (someplace around Monterrey California at the time), then were nice and meaty, i.e., thick leaves.

When I'm buying them here at a store in Michigan, whether in season WRT their place of origin or not, they're feeble things by comparison, more fibrous and not as thick-leaved.

I don't know whether it's culture, shipping/storage time, the varieties that ship best, or something else. Sometimes they're a little better here, sometimes a little worse - seems random . . . but they're never as good as they were when I had them close to when/where grown.
  • mtaratoot
    Yeah. My garden is awfully close to my stove....

:joy: