Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Uh oh.

I did it.

I didn't quite mean to but.... So my plan was to make some vegetable barley lentil soup. And I did. And I used an awful lot of vegetables. Before I added the water, I realized I'd need a bigger pot, so I took out the six-quart enameled cast iron Dutch Oven. Holy cats. The darn thing is almost full. So I reckon when it's done, I will also be full.

I bet it will freeze well. I will let it sit overnight first so the flavors can all meld. I will probably reheat the whole pot tomorrow, have some more, let it cool, and portion some out for the freezer. Then I guess I'll be eating whatever I don't freeze for the next few days. I reckon I won't be cooking so much in the next day or two. Unless I just decide to freeze most of it. And if it's not very good, maybe I won't even freeze it. I just kind of winged it, and that's why it turned in to five quarts of soup.

I used some of the last tomatoes from the garden that were starting to look kind of sad sitting on the window sill ripening.

Onions, carrots, celery, carrots, mushrooms, chiles, potato, tomato, lentils, barley, and stock.

Good thing I like soup. I guess one good thing is I won't be tempted to eat it ALL like I did with the split pea soup the other day. I don't regret it, but it might have been nice to have some left over. But there wouldn't be that much left even if I hadn't eaten it all. It was mmmmm.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot
    I an bit familiar with adding baking soda to potato water. What does increasing alkinity do for the potatoes?
  • acpgee
    Options
    We returned from vacation in Valencia and hit the market briefly before we had to head for the airport. I bought some dried fruit I am not familiar with. Dried hibisicus, dried cherries and dried strawberries. I was thinking of adding a few dried cherries to a salad tomorrow with some of the cabrales (=blue goat cheese from Asturia) I picked up. Any ideas on what to do with dried hibiscus and dried strawberry, besides just eating as is?
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the best simple way to cook these mushrooms? Got the today at the farmers market and the are rather large! Remote in the picture for scalez1ovjuwy56bc.jpg
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    widgit808 Does anyone know the best simple way to cook these mushrooms? Got the today at the farmers market and the are rather large!
    I slice them vertically and sauté them in oil. Love them (as I do most mushrooms)

• mtaratoot
    Options
    @widgit808

Any idea what kind of mushrooms they are? They look really fresh.

Mushrooms often release a lot of water when cooked. If you just want to cook and eat them by themselves to fully enjoy their flavor, start with a dry saute. No oil or butter. Cook on relatively high heat, and pour off any liquid that comes out. Save that liquid! The reason to do this is that if you just leave them cooking in the liquid, you're boiling them, not sauteing.

When they stop giving off moisture, then add a little butter and turn down the heat. Cook gently until they are pretty much fully cooked. If you add garlic, don't add much. This from a die hard garlic fan. You can overpower the delicate flavor of mushrooms with too much other flavor.

Then, as they are fully cooked, slowly add that liquid back in. It's full of flavor. As the moisture evaporates, add a little more. Keep going until all the liquid was returned back to the mushrooms.

That's it. Serve over rice. Or, if you want to be decadent, splash in a little half and half or cream right before serving.

I love mushrooms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Those look like what my local mushroom purveyors call "King Trumpet" mushrooms . . . tentatively, maybe Pleurotus eryngii? (My mycological ID skills are weak - apologies!) I like them roasted, usually cut them vertically into halves or thick slices depending on the size, and oven-roast. They're quite firm, maybe even a little chewy that way. I'm sure they'd be great sauteed or whatever, too, though.
  • widgit808
    Options
    @annk18 @mtaratoot @AnnPT77 thank you all for the suggestions! 3 huge mushrroms and 3 ways to cook so i can try each 🙂
  • widgit808
    Options
    @AnnPT77 i tried your method tonight and was absolutely delicious. These mushrooms are like none other i've had before. I cant quite describe the taste.pfmk3oi4jfbs.jpg
  • widgit808
    Options
    @mtaratoot i tried your method tonight and surprisingly these mushrooms produced virtually no water as other mushrooms do! Just as delicious as roasted but couldnt achieve all your steps due to the lack of water. Very interesting!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    widgit808 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot i tried your method tonight and surprisingly these mushrooms produced virtually no water as other mushrooms do! Just as delicious as roasted but couldnt achieve all your steps due to the lack of water. Very interesting!

That's great. I guess they're meaty and don't have that much liquid. When I collect chanterelles, they release SCADS of liquid. @AnnPT77 thinks these are a type of Pleurotis (oyster mushroom). When I collect or buy oysters, they also have a fair bit of liquid, but I'm really not familiar with this particular species.

Boletus edulis (King bolete, Porcini, cep) are also meaty and don't give up much liquid.

I'm glad they were delicious.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The chili-powdered dark-roasted salted squash seeds from my Georgia Candy Roaster squash-freezing fest also count as produce, I think? They're tasty, for sure. I put a couple on a table fork in the photo so you can see how big/plump the seeds from this variety are even after roasting.

The last 4 squash (of 6 total) yielded two 2-cup bowls full of seeds, not to mention the . . . I think it's 27? . . . 2-cup bowls of smashed roasted squash downstairs in the freezer.

j1u26orbg6d5.jpg
    That looks quite delicious. Alas, not compatible with my current "forever diet" but who knows? Perhaps in the future. Right now, I just finished off 50 g of cooked soybeans with 250 g No Name Oriental-style vegetable blend (my number one favourite blend) with half a tablespoon of curry powder and a bit of lemon juice. I have to be careful with my portions because it is something I easily overeat on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Neighbor Bob has brought me a pineapple. In Michigan. In November. 🤷‍♀️

I like pineapple, so I expect to enjoy it. Thank you, neighbor Bob!
    4l91037b0zic.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Neighbor Bob has a pretty frickin' amazing garden eh?

I need to stop making vegetable miso barley soup. Because... Oh screw it. I'll keep making it. I made a new batch today with lots of veggies, Blue Streaker Barley, split peas, AND lentils. I should be eating well for pretty much the rest of the week for about twenty bucks.
  • acpgee
    Options
    When we were on vacation we had an amazing salad. The first picture is presentation at the tapas bar, and the next two are my attempts to re-create it at home. I got a good result with store bought cooked beets (first attempt used pickled beets which wasn't right), lemon and olive oil vinaigrette, tangerine slices topped with smoked sardines we dragged home from the market in Valencia. If you don't have smoked sardines, use any cold smoked fish such as smoked salmon or trout. If you are vegetarian substitute fish for a salty cheese such as feta. If vegan use pitted olives. This salad takes about 5 minutes to put together.
    x3uwfcggxwdu.jpeg
    rfyyixtglfsr.jpeg
    6gi4vqraibqr.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mtaratoot !! I’m going to try that pomegranate cutting technique! 😉
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a love affair with beef shortribs. When you smoke them, after 9 hours the fat with the seasoning ends up crispy and crackly.