Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

For the love of Produce...

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Hubby brought home a kohlrabi for the first time, as he enjoyed having it in a restaurant. I peeled and spiralized it in a slow made with ranch. Nice crunchy texture, slightly sweet. It struck me as an excellent substitute for green papaya in SE Asian salads.

I'm fond of it raw, with a bit of salt, or else cooked where I would use turnip.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,855 Member
    Griddled romaine half dressed with ranch. If you grill outdoors this is a great thing to put on early as they take maybe 3-5 minutes so people have something to munch while the wait for meat. This was done inside on a cast iron grill pan.
    1fs9eicr3nfo.jpeg

• acpgee
    Ajo blanco. Do almonds count as produce? I added an applie blitzed into the body of the soup with the almonds and garnished with grapes that mostly sank to the bottom. You can use less olive oil than most recipes call for.
    ld9xyk5eor9m.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,900 Member
    @acpgee

I had never heard of this dish. I looked it up. Now I want to make some. Seems like the grapes were just an excuse to make it though. I'd say almonds are produce. They grow on trees ya know.

Growing up, my mom made something she called gazpacho that was white in color. It wasn't based on almonds - it was mayonnaise if I recall. This sounds much better. We used to have pounds and pounds of hard tack bread in the freezer. We would bust them up and let them soak in the soup. Now I'm thinking the whole thing was a modification of this dish.

Do you think it could be made with almond butter instead of using whole almonds and grinding them in the blender? Seems like it would eliminate one step.
  • acpgee
    @mtaratoot

I typically make ajo blanco with flaked almonds or ground almonds, but have skinned them myself which is less trouble than it sounds as once boiled they slip easily out of the skins with a gentle pinch. I have never tried with almond butter but I don't see why not with with some bread soaked in dairy or almond milk, and maybe blitzing with a peeled apple or some peeled and de-seeded cucumber to make it lighter. You probably need to slowly whisk water into the almond butter to get a smooth emulsion instead of almond pellet soup. This dish is nicest served very cold so make in advance and chill well.

Last night's version was per person

1 clove of garlic
    25g of crustless bread soaked in whole milk
    55g of almond flakes
    30ml olive oil
    half a peeled and cored apple
    enough water to thin down to the texture of a light cream soup
    sherry vinegar and salt and pepper to taste
    garnished of halved grapes, toasted almonds, a drizzle of olive oil.

We liked it, but found it too rich for a starter and will try with half the amount of almonds next time. This is the first time I did it with apple which I saw in one of the recipes I googled and liked the addition of something fibrous but light blitzed into the body of the soup. When I first started making ajo blanco 15 years ago my first recipe called for peeled grapes as garnish. My husband would beg me to make it, and even offered to peel the kilo of grapes needed for a dinner party. But have since discovered that halved seedless grapes has the same mouth feel as peeled grapes.

• acpgee
    I sprouted some mung beans this week and will use them in Cantonese Hor Fun tonight. Maybe a more experienced sprouter can explain what I have learned by trial and error. I get plumper sprouts when I crowd the container a little. Also rinsing is not something I need to do religiously. Two times a day seems to be sufficient. Lining the strainer with paper towel also seems to help.
    cokaw2s0mprd.jpeg
  • acpgee
    @BarbaraHelen2013
    Hubby came home with figs today! Roasted in the air fryer with a drizzle of honey, served on a salad with feta and candied (burnt actually) macadamians and a honey vinaigrette.
    pmfcu8ra3two.jpeg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    First time I’ve ever seen Kohlrabi in real life, so obviously had to buy one…

Don’t really want to make it into some kind of slaw but I’m struggling to come up with a different plan for it. Research tells me it most closely resembles broccoli stalks, so I may end up cutting it into small dice and adding to a lemon, mint and ricotta orzo dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ik4hguzhxn8x.jpeg
  • acpgee
    @BarbaraHelen2013

I normally roast kohlrabi (ie treat it as any other root vegetable), but seeing as you were thinking about orzo you might like this
    https://stefangourmet.com/2022/07/04/turnip-or-kohlrabi-risotto-risotto-alle-rape/

If you don't mind a salad treatment, spiralized, grated, or finely julienned it makes a great substitute for green papaya in SE Asian salads some as Som Tam.
  • acpgee
    I've been doing Cantonese stuffed eggplant and peppers. I use a combination of these two recipes.
    https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-stuffed-peppers-2/
    https://soupeduprecipes.com/hakka-stuffed-eggplant/
    jyuw0id8ghf6.jpeg
  • jkohler0377
    jkohler0377 Posts: 8 Member
    @purplefizzy where do you find all your ideas for making veggies more fun?? I am horrible at eating more vegetables and have a spouse who doesn't like change.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    First time I’ve ever seen Kohlrabi in real life, so obviously had to buy one…

Don’t really want to make it into some kind of slaw but I’m struggling to come up with a different plan for it. Research tells me it most closely resembles broccoli stalks, so I may end up cutting it into small dice and adding to a lemon, mint and ricotta orzo dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ik4hguzhxn8x.jpeg

This is boring conceptually, but I love them raw, thin sliced. (That's how I eat broccoli stalks and cauliflower/cabbage cores often, too.)
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    I love vegetables, but I also live alone and have little time, so I simplify the process. I used to make soup in a Japanese rice cooker, but now, I simply use the microwave. So, most of what I eat, with the exception of lupini beans, soybeans, sardines, lemon juice, psyllium husks and spices is here:
    oikaqk2ke1m4.jpg
    I also occasionally eat other vegetables, such as asparagus, jicama, daikon, cabbage, red beets ... but not all that often because it is too much work and annoying to prepare in the tiny kitchen of a bachelor suite.