For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    I tried something else new today. It was loosely based on some things I read online.

I had started a pound of garbanzo beans soaking on Thursday. After soaking overnight, I rinsed and drained twice a day until yesterday. They had just barely started to sprout.

I cooked them low and slow with a few bay leaves from the tree outside, some salt, and one dried Chile de Arbol. I ate some last night. From what was left, I reserved a few for another use (to add to some leftover black bean soup I took out of the freezer the other day to make it into an entirely new dish). I removed the bay leaves and the chile.

This morning, I finely minced a few very small red onions from my friend's CSA basket, a couple more small white onions from same basket, one rib of celery, a few leaves of kale rabe, a few spears of sprouting broccoli, a yellowish carrot, and a fresh sprig of spearmint from the yard. I mixed that with the quart of beans and squeezed in the juice of a lemon and a nice generous pour of EVOO. As an afterthought, I finely chopped a few cloves of garlic and added them in. I gave it a nice stir and put it all back in the quart container to meld. It's quite tasty.

I had drained the liquid from the beans that went into the salad, and I saved that with the few that will go in the black bean soup. Yumers all around.

Most of the recipes I saw didn't have several of the items I added, and most had parsley and cilantro. I didn't have any of those in my house, so I just used what I had.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've combined this before, though not sure (a risk of the recipe-sparse life): Cooked beets, smashed chickpeas, goat feta, sweet onions, red wine vinegar, black pepper. Cold, so I suppose that makes it salad?
    Looks odd, tasted good.
    eebe0npinpen.jpg

I'd've maybe included some seeds (pumpkin, maybe?), maybe sweet corn, on a day with a bigger calorie budget.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Now I want beets.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Now I want beets.

Mildly guilty admission, in context of this thread: I bought a box of the Geffen already-cooked shelf-stable ones at Costco. It may be a mental block on my part, but I don't like prepping beets, but I do like beets occasionally. (Love the greens, but merely like the beets as sort of a middling-desirable veggie in my personal yum hierarchy. I wait for farmers market season to get beets with tops, usually.)

Probably fresh would be better, but these are OK, taste like simple cooked beets, contain only beets, are super easy. My version of a fast food? 😉
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I found fiddleheads at Wegmans! Tis the season! Happy dance!
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had my fiddleheads the other night and shared with my husband; he still doesn’t fully get “the hype” but agrees they are good. He said I can plant the fern species if I want in our backyard swale… I think me paying $9 for 1/2 pound for these each year is just too much for him to bear :D
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I had my fiddleheads the other night and shared with my husband; he still doesn’t fully get “the hype” but agrees they are good. He said I can plant the fern species if I want in our backyard swale… I think me paying $9 for 1/2 pound for these each year is just too much for him to bear :D

IME, they take a few years to get well established, but if you have a spot where they're happy, they then spread enthusiastically. Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) is the most commonly grown edible one.

Truth in advertising: I don't love them as an edible (they're OK), but I do grow them as an ornamental.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IME, they take a few years to get well established, but if you have a spot where they're happy, they then spread enthusiastically. Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) is the most commonly grown edible one.

Truth in advertising: I don't love them as an edible (they're OK), but I do grow them as an ornamental.

If you forage or grow them yourself, you will have to google how to pick them and when. I remember hearing as a kid that once they unfurl they become toxic.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you forage or grow them yourself, you will have to google how to pick them and when. I remember hearing as a kid that once they unfurl they become toxic.

There are some reports of toxicity for ostrich ferns. Current recommendation (from Canada's authorities, because I found theirs first) recommends through cooking (boil 15 minutes, steam 10-12) rather than light:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-safety-fruits-vegetables/fiddlehead-safety-tips.html

I believe that's based on case reports such as this, published by US CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00032588.htm

Many other types of ferns are toxic, though there are a few other edibles.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lucky you!