Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

For the love of Produce...

Replies

• o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    I found fiddleheads at Wegmans! Tis the season! Happy dance!
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    I had my fiddleheads the other night and shared with my husband; he still doesn’t fully get “the hype” but agrees they are good. He said I can plant the fern species if I want in our backyard swale… I think me paying $9 for 1/2 pound for these each year is just too much for him to bear :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    I had my fiddleheads the other night and shared with my husband; he still doesn’t fully get “the hype” but agrees they are good. He said I can plant the fern species if I want in our backyard swale… I think me paying $9 for 1/2 pound for these each year is just too much for him to bear :D

IME, they take a few years to get well established, but if you have a spot where they're happy, they then spread enthusiastically. Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) is the most commonly grown edible one.

Truth in advertising: I don't love them as an edible (they're OK), but I do grow them as an ornamental.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,855 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IME, they take a few years to get well established, but if you have a spot where they're happy, they then spread enthusiastically. Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) is the most commonly grown edible one.

Truth in advertising: I don't love them as an edible (they're OK), but I do grow them as an ornamental.

If you forage or grow them yourself, you will have to google how to pick them and when. I remember hearing as a kid that once they unfurl they become toxic.
  • AnnPT77
    acpgee wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you forage or grow them yourself, you will have to google how to pick them and when. I remember hearing as a kid that once they unfurl they become toxic.

There are some reports of toxicity for ostrich ferns. Current recommendation (from Canada's authorities, because I found theirs first) recommends through cooking (boil 15 minutes, steam 10-12) rather than light:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-safety-fruits-vegetables/fiddlehead-safety-tips.html

I believe that's based on case reports such as this, published by US CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00032588.htm

Many other types of ferns are toxic, though there are a few other edibles.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lucky you!
  • AnnPT77
    @acpgee - location dependent, possibly? It's asparagus season here now . . . and never, ever artichoke season (locally). The artichokes are usually not very good: Rare to find any that look fresh, and are nicely fleshy - ever. So, I have artichoke envy of yours and @mtaratoot's!

As an aside, having grown up in a family where asparagus was a garden perennial, I learned to prefer the thicker stalks as having better flavor - it's about the age/heartiness of the rootstock, not so much that the skinny ones at the store are "baby" ones that will be more tender. And of course the grocery store ones more are often too far open: Even the ones I got at the market yesterday are not as tight as I'd prefer. The ones my neighbor brought over a few days early, photo also in the thread, were more nearly ideal, for my taste. Maybe I'm just weird, though. 🤷‍♀️
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,900 Member
    When I bought my house, I thought about putting in asparagus. I wasn't sure I'd live here long enough for them to really start producing. Well, that was twenty years ago. Oops. Should have planted them. I had the perfect spot. Alas - that spot is now where the raspberries grow. It's not where I wanted to put them, but they needed to go in the ground, and the spot was second best. They were gifts from a friend who died not too long afterwards. Perhaps I should plant some in this other bed that might actually be a little too wet. Then I'd almost never have to plant anything in the garden again as it would almost be entirely perennial.

My poor artichokes. All the wet weather meant the soil was super moist and soft, the chokes are in a particularly friable part of the garden, and the large flowers must have held rain to get even heavier, and the wind came up.... several of the plants are flat on the ground and among those, some are broken. Others will be OK. I'm going through them while they are small. The other day I made some including some "babies." I parcooked them in the steamer then roasted. Yum. I'm not cooking today. It's a celebration day. I'll probably reheat a couple vegetable dishes for supper. One is a barley mushroom vegetable soup/stew, and the other is a cauliflower chick pea stew. Who knows... maybe an artichoke because.... Mmmm.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,855 Member
    I am guessing panko absorbs the moixture the mushrooms exude during roasting. Good idea.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I had lion's mane mushrooms for the first time last night. Really good. Especially sauteed with some teriyaki sauce. The flavor of the mushrooms with the sauce worked amazing together.