Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    mcwk25lj8mk5.png
    uvxkdnzmn0r7.png

One more for ya.
    Rollinia.

Fizzy review: the softer parts are sort of lemon curd ish, and the firmer parts have a wild texture, like firm applesauce. It’s super creamy and definitely can tell it’s in the cherimoya family.
    Its a ‘small slice’ one. The texture gets overwhelming after a bit but it’s wild and delicious in small doses.

Learn here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/rollinia-deliciosa-biriba
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    First time I’ve ever seen Kohlrabi in real life, so obviously had to buy one…

Don’t really want to make it into some kind of slaw but I’m struggling to come up with a different plan for it. Research tells me it most closely resembles broccoli stalks, so I may end up cutting it into small dice and adding to a lemon, mint and ricotta orzo dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ik4hguzhxn8x.jpeg

This is boring conceptually, but I love them raw, thin sliced. (That's how I eat broccoli stalks and cauliflower/cabbage cores often, too.)

Same. When feeing fancy: Carpaccio sliced, with green apple if have, with a drizzle of blood orange OO and dusting of ground hazelnuts.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Okay.. sorry for the dumb question but...

How do you know figs are ripe? Is it when they get a bit soft?

Also, can you just eat a fig like an apple? What does it taste like? I have some in my fridge. Like I said, stupid question but I have never had figs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    @purplefizzy: That Rollinia looks/sounds soooo interesting! I wish I could find something like that.

Your description of it - though far different overall - reminded me that this should be Paw Paw season here, itself a custardy thing. (This would be temperate Paw Paw, Asimina triloba.) So far, I've not found any this year. They don't travel well, but in the past I've gotten a small number at the farmers markets, but rarely. Want!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Squash fest continues! From the top center, Kent (Australian variety), spaghetti, and mashed potato squash, double-bracketed by four additional Georgia candy roaster. That's a foot-long ruler for scale.

Kent is a new variety to me. The squash lady at the market says it's really good. They hand pollinate it to keep the variety pure here.

wiwyqyaf1ls2.jpg

The other two Georgia candy roaster (GCR) squash I cooked this morning added up to ten two-cup pyrex bowls in my freezer, plus a little (partial bowl) in the fridge. These 4 GCR will join them, so I should end up with around 30 two-cup portions in the freezer for use over the coming year. (GCR aren't great keepers, but they're too yummy to pass up.) These first two GCRs also yielded around 2 cups of nice big, plump raw seeds to roast.

The other types will be used up over the next week or two in meals. The mashed-potato ones (very mild flavor) are especially nice for a topping a pseudo shepherd's pie, though I'm not sure that's how I'll use this one.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my farmers market haul from today, which included all but two (GCR) of the squash show, plus a bag of tomatoes, another of Ida Red apples (not my fave, but I can't get my fave), and a small batch of brussels sprouts. All I knew was that my two bags full felt a little heavier than usual on the quarter-mile (literally) back to my car. Turned out to be 27.8 pounds of fresh yummy veggies/fruits!

Can you tell that I love Winter squash? 😆
    I like that you put a ruler on there. That is the most objective comparison standard we can use in pictures, without using a scale and that is more problematic because while it gives a reliable indication of weight, it says little about size. Well done.
    For caloric reasons I am staying away from most everything that is even a little higher in calories, but I am sure they are quite good. I have never met a vegetable/fruit I did not like.
    As for me, I just gobbled up a 300 g package of chopped spinach with spices and lemon juice, thickened with 2 tbsp of psyllium husks, 158 kcal not counting the lemon juice and the spices because that is hard to estimate and essentially irrelevant because I count the calories from the psyllium which are largely unusable.

As for Brussels sprouts, they are essentially the only exception I make to keeping to the lowest energy content possible. They are just too delicious and too easy to use to ban outright!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Squash fest continues! From the top center, Kent (Australian variety), spaghetti, and mashed potato squash, double-bracketed by four additional Georgia candy roaster. That's a foot-long ruler for scale.

Kent is a new variety to me. The squash lady at the market says it's really good. They hand pollinate it to keep the variety pure here.

wiwyqyaf1ls2.jpg

The other two Georgia candy roaster (GCR) squash I cooked this morning added up to ten two-cup pyrex bowls in my freezer, plus a little (partial bowl) in the fridge. These 4 GCR will join them, so I should end up with around 30 two-cup portions in the freezer for use over the coming year. (GCR aren't great keepers, but they're too yummy to pass up.) These first two GCRs also yielded around 2 cups of nice big, plump raw seeds to roast.

The other types will be used up over the next week or two in meals. The mashed-potato ones (very mild flavor) are especially nice for a topping a pseudo shepherd's pie, though I'm not sure that's how I'll use this one.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my farmers market haul from today, which included all but two (GCR) of the squash show, plus a bag of tomatoes, another of Ida Red apples (not my fave, but I can't get my fave), and a small batch of brussels sprouts. All I knew was that my two bags full felt a little heavier than usual on the quarter-mile (literally) back to my car. Turned out to be 27.8 pounds of fresh yummy veggies/fruits!

Can you tell that I love Winter squash? 😆
    I like that you put a ruler on there. That is the most objective comparison standard we can use in pictures, without using a scale and that is more problematic because while it gives a reliable indication of weight, it says little about size. Well done.
    For caloric reasons I am staying away from most everything that is even a little higher in calories, but I am sure they are quite good. I have never met a vegetable/fruit I did not like.
    As for me, I just gobbled up a 300 g package of chopped spinach with spices and lemon juice, thickened with 2 tbsp of psyllium husks, 158 kcal not counting the lemon juice and the spices because that is hard to estimate and essentially irrelevant because I count the calories from the psyllium which are largely unusable.

As for Brussels sprouts, they are essentially the only exception I make to keeping to the lowest energy content possible. They are just too delicious and too easy to use to ban outright!

I know that you're quite calorie limited, but for myself I find Winter squash quite sating/satisfying, at around 37 calories per 100g. I'm not one to add bunches of butter or oil to it. Sometimes I just eat it plain, maybe a little salt, but I really like it with some white miso mixed in after the squash is hot, right before eating. alternatively, balsamic vinegar is also good on/in it. Sometimes I use it to make soup, too.

This time, I roasted the brussels sprouts with a minimal spray of avocado oil, then a small drizzle (3-4 each) of balsamic vinegar and pomegranate molasses, and a light sprinkling of sea salt. It started out as 196g of sprouts (raw), ended up about 162 calories with all the add-ins. Worth it, to me . . . but I know a lot of people don't like them. Their loss, in my book!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I know that you're quite calorie limited, but for myself I find Winter squash quite sating/satisfying, at around 37 calories per 100g. I'm not one to add bunches of butter or oil to it. Sometimes I just eat it plain, maybe a little salt, but I really like it with some white miso mixed in after the squash is hot, right before eating. alternatively, balsamic vinegar is also good on/in it. Sometimes I use it to make soup, too.

This time, I roasted the brussels sprouts with a minimal spray of avocado oil, then a small drizzle (3-4 each) of balsamic vinegar and pomegranate molasses, and a light sprinkling of sea salt. It started out as 196g of sprouts (raw), ended up about 162 calories with all the add-ins. Worth it, to me . . . but I know a lot of people don't like them. Their loss, in my book![/quote]
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with squash as far as I can see. They are a perfectly honourable and delicious product. I have ever tried them with miso, that sounds like a really great idea. I love miso. Unfortunately, because of the salt, I have to stay away from it, just as I have to stay away from soy sauce. I still eat boiled soybeans and natto though. I love them both and, together with sardines, they are my main sources of protein and fat.
    Many people love vinegar, balsamic or otherwise, but it is one of the all-too-rare foodstuffs I really completely and genuinely loathe. I often joke I prefer Windex ^_^. Fortunately, I have lemon juice to replace it and when I really feel I want something a bit more fruity, I would use Crystal Light or MiO as a condiment. The MiO would be combined with lemon Juice because it is too sweet for me otherwise, but it does give something reminiscent of a fruity taste.

My normal portion for Brussels sprouts is 250 g. I have no reasons for that quantity, except the practical reason that 1 bag weighs 1.75 kg which gives me exactly 7 portions ^_^

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Okay.. sorry for the dumb question but...

How do you know figs are ripe? Is it when they get a bit soft?

Also, can you just eat a fig like an apple? What does it taste like? I have some in my fridge. Like I said, stupid question but I have never had figs.

Not living in a part of the world where we can grow figs in the garden I buy them from the supermarket. They’re ripe when there is just a slight give when you squeeze gently between your fingers.

If you cut one open, it should be a deep plummy red inside, if it’s pale or even yellow/green it’s not ripe.

Personally, I wouldn’t eat one like an apple, I’m not fond of the texture of the skin when it’s raw, but I’m sure you could. I much prefer them cooked in some way.

The taste is hard to describe because it’s unique…sweet and aromatic, almost like a sharper, fruitier honey flavour - that’s the best I can do to describe it! 😂
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Wow, that’s interesting! I had no idea, the only figs I’ve come across are all brown/purple on the outside. The only different types I’ve seen are either the smaller more pointed earlier varieties or the bigger, rounded ones, about the size of a satsuma.

I think one type is Turkish and the other is Greek, but that’s the extent of my knowledge! 😂
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Morning!

Just making a shake.. wish pomegranates were easier to peel! I've read the peel can be eaten ..but haven't found a tasty recipe to make it less bitter.

Time for Dragonfruit , pom and watercress breakfast smoothie!

pltpgjubwxof.jpg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Just making a shake.. wish pomegranates were easier to peel! I've read the peel can be eaten ..but haven't found a tasty recipe to make it less bitter.

One trick to getting the arils out is to:
    1. Get a big bowl of water
    2. Cut the fruit in half or quarters
    3. Hold the fruit upside down over the water
    4. Bang on the exterior of the fruit with a big spoon
    5. When all the arils are out, compost the rind
    6. Scoop out the arils and... EAT