Less Alcohol ~ NOVEMBER 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! This is my 5th month and I am so grateful to have found this group!
    My goal is to not turn to alcohol this month no matter how stressful work or my physical health gets!
    Best wishes to everyone to meet their goals this month!

11/1-11/7: 7 AF
    11/8-11/14: 7 days AF
    11/15-11/21: 7 days AF

11/22: AF
    I slept horribly last night-too much on my mind.
    I see so many struggling with the fact of Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow. I wish it didn’t cause so much stress. I wish we didn’t have it built up in our minds as some epic, perfect feast.
    My dad will buy me a giant Costco bottle of Baileys (even though he hasn’t seem me drink in months) and it will be hard to resist. I plan to resist though.
    11/23: AF
    I really considered having a drink last night just to “take the edge off.” I was feeling pretty bad emotionally and thought maybe a drink would help. Then I thought about the last time I drank to help emotionally and how it turned into 6 drinks and how hungover and ashamed I was. Also there is *no* way I can deal with family today hung over. So I didn’t have a drink but I did go to bed really early. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating!
    11/24: AF
    My parents really really pushed wine on me yesterday and I said no thank you 5 times and finally the sixth time I said stop asking, I don’t want it! I don’t remember them being so pushy before. My mom was pretty drunk by dinner (2:00) but I’m not going to tell her how to live her life. Other than that, a smooth day.
    11/25: AF
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Nov 1- Nov 2 - AF
    Nov 3- Nov 4- Nov 5 A (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 6 - Nov 7- Nov 8- AF
    Nov 9 -10- 11-12 A - (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 13- 14 - 15 - AF
    Nove 16-17-18-19 (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 20- AF
    Nov 21 - A (wine 2 glasses)
    Nov 22 - A (wine 2 glasses)
    Nov 23 - A (1 beer)
    Nov 24 - A (2 cocktails)
    Nov 25 - AF
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Travel day …
    AF - Nov 1-4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13 -17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25 [total: 19]
    A- Nov 5 (1 wine), 6 (4 oz beer), 9 (1wine), 12 (beer), 18 (beer), 23 (too many wines) [total: 6]
  • joans1976
    Options
    Hey everybody! This is my 5th month and I am so grateful to have found this group!
    My goal is to not turn to alcohol this month no matter how stressful work or my physical health gets!

I see so many struggling with the fact of Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow. I wish it didn’t cause so much stress. I wish we didn’t have it built up in our minds as some epic, perfect feast.
    My dad will buy me a giant Costco bottle of Baileys (even though he hasn’t seem me drink in months) and it will be hard to resist. I plan to resist though.
    I really considered having a drink last night just to “take the edge off.” I was feeling pretty bad emotionally and thought maybe a drink would help. Then I thought about the last time I drank to help emotionally and how it turned into 6 drinks and how hungover and ashamed I was. Also there is *no* way I can deal with family today hung over. So I didn’t have a drink but I did go to bed really early. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    My parents really really pushed wine on me yesterday and I said no thank you 5 times and finally the sixth time I said stop asking, I don’t want it! I don’t remember them being so pushy before. My mom was pretty drunk by dinner (2:00) but I’m not going to tell her how to live her life. Other than that, a smooth day.
    11/26: AF
    Stress.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I've been away but I'm back. I have found that I don't meet my goals without the support of this group and I've also missed everyone. Since I started late, my goal this month is 10 AF out of 18.

11/23: Drinks (3) - Traveling to NC for Thanksgiving, which is home base. It's my favorite holiday because those who can in our family gather together. We don't do it for Christmas. We're in many different states.
    11/24: Drinks (3) - The virgin Cape Cods were a hit at Thanksgiving. I took enough to share! I also didn't overindulge on food. :smile: The drinks I had were later at a restaurant, at dinner. We stayed in the same hotel as other family members (DBIL, DSIL, DN, and their two rowdy dogs that we call the Bumpus Hounds :lol: ). It was fun!
    11/25: Drinks (3) - Another great day with family. I was able to get in a 4-mile walk-run in an old haunt. It brought back lots of great memories. DSIL drank so much every night that her speech was slurred and she repeated stories over and over which was the only kink in the cog. This seems to be the norm now every time we're with her. We live in different states so only see each other a few times a year. I am concerned for her.
    11/26: Drinks (2) - Home again, home again, jiggity-jig. Had two hazy IPAs with dinner. If I make it AF for the rest of the month, I'll be one day short of my November goal.

Rolling Total: 5 AF Days out of 14
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @joans1976 - Kudos to you for standing your ground during the many temptations! You were mentally prepared and you did it! I'm thinking (hoping) that our sobriety at Thanksgiving will be a positive influence on our loved ones. When she asked about my virgin Cape Cods, I mentioned this group and my monthly AF goals to my DSIL. It had no influence during our time with her, but I'm hoping that she'll think about it and take some action in the future.
  • bover145
    Options
    @RockinRobyn672 "Home again, home again, jiggity-jig." Ha! I thought I was the only one who said this! And I agree with the influence our journeys can have. We went out to dinner with friends and I ordered a mocktail. One friend, who had been looking at the wine list, decided to stick with water.

Just a few days left in the month...expecting to be AF for all of them.
    AF - Nov 1-4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13 -17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 - 26 [total: 20]
    A- Nov 5 (1 wine), 6 (4 oz beer), 9 (1wine), 12 (beer), 18 (beer), 23 (too many wines) [total: 6]

Have a good day!
  • bover145
    Options
    Hi @KristySB! Wow - congrats on your sobriety. That's an amazing feat. You are right that many folks on this thread are drinking less, not none. For me, I was drinking 2-3 glasses of wine a day and need to cut that back. This is my first month with this group so I'll be interested in the "how do we find December" thread.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    I am Dawn, 62, 5'2", SE BC

This November the 28th, (my late Dad's birthday) will mark my 4th year on this thread.
    Not only has it kept me accountable for my alcohol consumption, it truly has become a community for me, especially while we were in various lockdowns.

Sticking with my (reachable) goal of the last few years, 16-20 AF days. I have been successful each month with this expect for most recently in September when I was having a Margarita every day in Mexico and reached only 14AF for the month.

Diary Style:

Friday November 25 - Drinks
    Saturday November 26 - Drinks including trying to replicate the beautiful Manhattan that I made last Saturday, had one sip of and then broke. It didn't turn out as good, wrong proportion. I also had a travelling mug of hot chocolate with peppermint schapps as I walked the entire parade route.
    Sunday November 27 - AF - Need to get at least 2 more, Tuesday and Wednesday for sure, Monday will be a very late night and might be up for grabs.

Rolling total: 14AF days out of 27 days
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Nov 1- Nov 2 - AF
    Nov 3- Nov 4- Nov 5 A (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 6 - Nov 7- Nov 8- AF
    Nov 9 -10- 11-12 A - (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 13- 14 - 15 - AF
    Nove 16-17-18-19 (wine 3 glasses each)
    Nov 20- AF
    Nov 21 - A (wine 2 glasses)
    Nov 22 - A (wine 2 glasses)
    Nov 23 - A (1 beer)
    Nov 24 - A (2 cocktails)
    Nov 25 - AF
    Nov 26 - A (wine 3 glasses)
    Nov 27 - AF
  • joans1976
    Options

11/26: AF
    Stress.
    11/27: AF
    Boy this feels like a Monday!
  • bover145
    Options
    Happy Monday!
    We are finally back home after Thanksgiving travel. I'm glad to be warm again! I should be able to finish out November AF. One month on this thread but seeing a huge difference that it makes.
    AF - Nov 1-4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13 -17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 - 27 [total: 21]
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    @KristySB welcome!!! I like how you eases into stopping drinking entirely. That’s actually brilliant! You’re right, no one really cares if you drink or not.

@lmlmrn so sorry for your loss. Also sorry the homeless population seems to be multiplying! Good for you for flipping your *kitten* on them.

Hoo boy, the alcohol and food was a-flowing this weekend. I had 2-3 drinks every night since the day before Thanksgiving. I seriously need to rein it in. Tonight I’m going out to dinner with the boss to celebrate our birthdays (same day, same year!), but at a restaurant I’ll only have one glass. At home I’ve been sucking down the wine like nobody’s business! Oh and the pie….. it’s a wonder my pants still fit. Maybe because they are stretchy….