60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    LovePBandJ wrote: »
    Me too, +/- 30 lbs.

My health is good. I just fell off the exercise and healthy eating wagon.

I’ve tried to add some of you as friends, but MFP has changed so much since I last used it. I don’t know how to add people anymore!

Add me. 😃

And Welcome back! Very supportive thread here. Lots of nice people.

• lboyleav
    lboyleav Posts: 7 Member
    I’m 65, just lost 28 lbs. Took me 2 1/2 years. I broke my foot in April 2020 just after Covid started couldn’t drive couldn’t walk sat around and ate. And now I am improving my eating habits I find IF (intermittent fasting ) works the best for me and able to lose weight with fasting. I have a thyroid issue so I really have to work hard at losing weight. I have been going to the gym regularly and that helps. I have 20 more pounds to lose now that I’m down to my normal adult fat that I want to shed.
  • michaeljoleksak
    michaeljoleksak Posts: 16 Member
    I’ve found my people! This is the group I was looking for. I’m not really sure how it happened but I turned 66 in September. It seems like I was just in my 30s. I’ve been using MFP on and off for several years. I decided to recommit myself to lose the weight I need to lose once and for all.
    Due to returning to school, medications, menopause and health issues over the past 15 years I’ve gained 70lbs. I have hypothyroidism and MS. My MS makes physical activity a challenge, but not impossible. I’ve lost 10lbs in the past few weeks since restarting my weight loss journey. My goal is to lose between 40-50 more lbs depending how I feel. Since I have so much weight to lose it feels overwhelming. My fear is that I will lose my motivation once again. I’m hoping being part of this group will help keep me on track and I can do the same for other members.

I have found that making multiple smaller weight loss goals to be very helpful for me. I set very realistic goals that I can surely meet and often find I exceed my goals.

Keep the faith and the motivation. I wish you the best on your journey and new lifestyle.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for the check-in @alteredsteve175 and your words of wisdom and encouragement! May we encourage you also.

I assume the pie is no longer an issue 🙃?

@AnnPT77 those toothy grins are so funny! Clever you having orchids bloom for you, thanks for the pics.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend and has something or someone to be thankful for🙏.

Welcome to all the newbies, you sound like a fabulously wise bunch 😉!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hi, Everyone! I'm Angela. I remember avidly following this thread when I was in my 50s. Now I'll be 61 in less than two weeks.

I took early retirement at the end of 2019 and remember telling myself I had to make it a point to get out of the house and see people every day. I guess we know how that went!

I love being out in nature and discovering new trails to walk.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! 🌞

P.S. Ann, those orchids are stunning!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited November 2022
    @AnnPT77 gorgeous orchids. Not just anyone can grow those finicky flowers. Good job!

@alteredsteve175 glad you made it through Thanksgiving without too many slices of pie (Is there such a thing? Sadly, there is 😭).

@PKM0515 welcome back! I retired at age 60 in 2019 and I'm battling with a few extra pounds since then too. I've whined about this before......my battle is with free range eating now that my day isn't as structured as it was before. Have you ever heard of "Forest Bathing"? I've done it all my life but didn't know it was a thing haha It explains why some of us just feel more connected and "whole" when we're outdoors.

I had a most excellent day yesterday. In the morning I met up with two friends and we hiked some short trails through a wooded park, afterwards I met up with some other friends for coffee, ran some errands, and then scurried home and took my two dogs on another short hike through another wooded park before darkness set in. I connected with friends, I connected with nature, I enjoyed watching my dogs happily chasing smells, and I had almost 14,000 steps. That's my idea of a near perfect retirement day!!! 😆
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited November 2022

I assume the pie is no longer an issue? 🙃

That's right, @BCLadybug888. I showed that pie who's boss! 😁
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Hi all, lots to enjoy in these posts. I have had a day of bad eating, now I know I can eat what I want, but I didn’t want it and that was the problem. I made buckwheat pancakes for breakfast, they were awful, tasted like I fried my shoes, and made enough batter for my whole street, for two of us. So I had the bright idea of making vegetable fritters for lunch. They were good, but there were just too many of them. I’m not used to fried food and I felt sick. At dinner time, I still felt sick, but couldn't be bothered to cook so made pizza. I hate pizza.
    Better tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Hi all, lots to enjoy in these posts. I have had a day of bad eating, now I know I can eat what I want, but I didn’t want it and that was the problem. I made buckwheat pancakes for breakfast, they were awful, tasted like I fried my shoes, and made enough batter for my whole street, for two of us. So I had the bright idea of making vegetable fritters for lunch. They were good, but there were just too many of them. I’m not used to fried food and I felt sick. At dinner time, I still felt sick, but couldn't be bothered to cook so made pizza. I hate pizza.
    Better tomorrow.

I hate it when I eat something that doesn't seem worth its calories - however meager those calories may be - but feel like I need to eat it anyway because it's wrong to waste food.

Before anyone comments: Yes, I will throw away food in some of these cases (because I am not a trash can for all leftovers, and they are better off discarded or fed to the wild critters hereabouts than added to my hip circumference). But when I've made a meal myself that doesn't work out to be tasty, I usually feel obligated to eat it as planned. That may be unreasonable, I don't know . . . but it's infrequent enough that I don't feel much impetus to try to rewire myself.
  • sandramarshall200
    I am hoping it is a lesson learned. I eat porridge all week, but allow myself different stuff at the weekends. I need to think about that. I will try myself with yoghurt for breakfast next weekend.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,179 Member
    @sandramarshall200 - what about eggs for brekkie on the weekend? Can cook them in so many ways!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Got the outside decor done! 🎄
    Next is switching out my kitchen mugs, tea towels, etc 🙂pk378zfwijbl.jpg

Great pix! Love to see decorations?
  • sandramarshall200
    BCLadybug888 you are right. I love an egg.
    Love your decorations. Will you get snow?
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2022
    Good to hear from you @alteredsteve175. That pie can be hard to resist! With all you're dealing with, maintaining your weight is a definite win in my book!

Welcome to all the newbies! I think you will find this to be a very supportive thread.

About throwing away food. I think many of us here grew up with parents who lived through the depression. Throwing away anything was frowned upon. I can remember having to sit at the kitchen table until I had "cleaned my plate". So I can understand how hard it can be be to throw away food. It was ingrained since chilhood about how bad that was. I have been working to change that attitude in myself. I try not to take too much on my plate to begin with but if I really don't like it, or I feel the calories aren't worth it, these days I have no qualms about tossing it.
  • mikmorn
    mikmorn Posts: 5 Member
    Yes, add me too. I have been on this health journey since 1999 and I find this helps keep me accountable.