Sleep Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Does anyone take anything not usually known about to help them sleep or do anything specific that isn’t widely talked about to help them get good rest?

I set a bed time and wake up time and try to stick to it within an hour or so. If I can't get to sleep within 20 minutes I do a reset and get up for a short while (no phone, no TV, no bright lights). If my mind is all over the place then I try meditation practices to let those thoughts go while in bed (the "what ifs" will keep me up for hours and its not worth it). I don't eat right before bed try to give it 2-3 hours before sleep plus I stay away from acid reflux foods. No caffeine after 2pm. We also try to keep our bedroom as dark as possible (black out curtains, dim clock lights, cover any bright LEDS). We also have an air purifier (all year) and a fan that we use in the summer time that adds white noise to the room. We also keep our bedroom quite cool which seems to help as well.

I've also accepted that for me its normal to wake up in the middle of the night a couple of times so I don't stress and fall back to sleep faster.

• atactic
    atactic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a very difficult time falling asleep some nights. Well a good bit of nights 😅 I’ve tried melatonin and all the usual sleep aids, and the nutritional and exercise changes have been done.

Does anyone take anything not usually known about to help them sleep or do anything specific that isn’t widely talked about to help them get good rest?

Open for discussion and suggestions!

A weighted blanket for me was a game changer. It helps me get to sleep and fall back to sleep when I wake up.

https://amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F5DG4YF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Mvila0
    Mvila0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    After getting sleep studies and being diagnosed with a sleep disorder, trying different medications, etc, my therapist actually gave me the best approach.

I have anxiety. And when I lay my head down, I have a lot of thoughts I can't shut down. And I try to convince myself to turn them off to sleep.

My therapist suggested I not try to sleep. She said if I wasn't tired, to keep up and not go to bed until I was. This led to me staying awake until 4am the first night and surviving the next day on three hours of sleep. This continued on for a few days, making sure I got up and stayed awake no matter how tired I was. I soon got tired a bit earlier. And eventually, I got up to getting five hours. Those five hours had me feeling better than eight with melatonin, ambien, or anything else I'd tried.

Now I get about six hours of sleep a night, and although I'm still tired, I'm less tired once I stopped putting pressure on myself to sleep
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    The key to sleep for me is following the same routine every night. I also listen to 432Hz music. I started doing that about 10 days ago and overall my sleep has improved.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tart cherry juice is supposed to be a sleep aid. For me it is about the ritual - like having a “nightcap” but without the sleep disrupting properties of alcohol. Also I fall asleep with the TV but my husband can’t stand it so I started listening to a podcast or an audiobook that I had already heard so that it didn’t matter when I fell asleep.
  • Bluebirdday72
    Bluebirdday72 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have had luck with herbs like Valerian, Passionflower, Skullcap, chamomile, etc. Also there are some Cal/Magnesium drink powders that claim to help if you drink them right before bed. I have had a little success with those off and on. Here is one of those drinks that also includes melatonin and l-Theanine:

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calmful-Magnesium-Wildberry/dp/B0716M5CXM/ref=pd_bxgy_2/132-7430240-4546423?pd_rd_w=PyqKN&pf_rd_p=6b3eefea-7b16-43e9-bc45-2e332cbf99da&pf_rd_r=ASCKKB0WPMTBWABY1QV5&pd_rd_r=032aedc9-3634-49b7-bfb1-f7e4b0c957b5&pd_rd_wg=9mZ6g&pd_rd_i=B0716M5CXM&psc=1

I have read good things about l-theanine but haven’t tired it yet.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm on my fourth week of reducing the number of hours a night I'm sleeping - for the first time in my entire life (not joking) - but it has required a few very specific changes to my routines to make it possible.

1) I have my phone auto-start the blue light filter at least an hour before I'm heading towards bed
    2) Room temp needs to be fairly cool
    3) After getting ready for bed, I prep and drink some "sleepy time" or chamomile tea while reading a paper book for 20-30 min in bed prior to sleeping, with a lamp that has a warm tint light bulb
    4) Consistently ensure the alarm goes off at the same time
    5) Consistently head to bed at the same time
    6) TV off at least 45 minutes before sleep (and I refuse to put one in my bedroom)
    7) On weekends I don't sleep in too late - I may not set an alarm, but if I wake up at 6:30 or 7 (or whenever) I get up and work on that day's critical tasks (such as reading my development book, or working on a side gig) even if the bf is still sleeping for awhile
    8) I stick to my morning routine, and don't hit the snooze (although I do set two alarms 15 minutes apart to give myself a few minutes to wake up prior to jumping out of bed, but just in case I doze off again...)
    9) No caffeine after lunch
    10) No getting on my phone during the night (if I do wake up) or scrolling through things just before bed
    11) No getting on the phone first thing in the morning, either
    12) I allow a 20 minute afternoon nap if I'm feeling a bit tired (this one is new, not 100% sold on it yet)
    13) Room is kept fairly dark outside of some natural moonlight that gets in the high window in the vaulted ceiling - there's a light in my closed closet that allows enough to make my way to the bathroom during the night, but all other lights (including the LED on the automatic cat feeder) are covered/turned so I can't see them from the bed

I've been able to cut back the amount of sleep per night by ~1.5-2 hours/night, which is a lot of extra time in my week! My sleep quality is MUCH better, but the key is sticking to these things so that I get higher quality sleep since I'm cutting back on quantity. If I don't follow the routine my quality goes down and then I don't function on that amount of sleep...

Mind you, my entire life (I'm 43) I was convinced I needed a minimum of 8, and was better off with 9-9.5 hours/night. Every time I got less more than a day in a row I'd be falling asleep, dragging, making poor decisions, and it was almost dangerous to drive later in the day I'd be so tired. I would take an over the counter fairly strong sleep aid if I was finding myself waking up rather than sleeping since it was so "imperative" that I get the sleep.

• JbeanR0212
    JbeanR0212 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a trouble going to sleep but my deep sleep registers very low. I‘ve always felt like my heart is racing often when I awake (even without an alarm) and at times when I awake at night. Recently bought a fitness backs and my resting heart rate during sleep takes frequent dips and climbs from 42-98 BPM. Wondering if there are others out there like me & how/if you’ve improved your sleep quality?
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    JbeanR0212 wrote: »
    I don’t have a trouble going to sleep but my deep sleep registers very low. I‘ve always felt like my heart is racing often when I awake (even without an alarm) and at times when I awake at night. Recently bought a fitness backs and my resting heart rate during sleep takes frequent dips and climbs from 42-98 BPM. Wondering if there are others out there like me & how/if you’ve improved your sleep quality?

Have you talked to a doctor about this?
  • JbeanR0212
    JbeanR0212 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    avatiach wrote: »
    JbeanR0212 wrote: »

Have you talked to a doctor about this?

Not yet @avatiach, trying to collect a decent amount of data and then I intend on it. I’ve never had a smart band before so seeing the results was the eye opener I needed.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble sleeping, I'm tired most nights and take 2 mg of melatonin before bed--always.

However, I went home to the States for 3 weeks recently and met with many friends and family. One of my best friends was talking about sleep problems. She said that she hadn't been sleeping well for years and it got so bad she was exhausted all day. She said she went to a sleep doctor. Apparently, the causes of sleeplessness are many. They sent her to an overnite clinic. She had electrodes stuck all over her. The next morning she had her results--twitchiness. The sleep doctor prescribed a small pill to take everynight, and she says she sleeps great now. My friend was a nurse and her husband is a retired doctor.

• SkipperScott50
    SkipperScott50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I never could sleep. Like ...ever...because I worked nights for so many years. I literally tried everything under the sun.
    Cannabis is legal here, so I started making my own gummies with an organic THC tincture I make myself and organic liquid melatonin. Worked like a charm and still does. Sweet dreams!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i listen to an audiobook. usually once i really get into the story so i disconnect from my worries, frustrations or worrying about things i have to do, i fall asleep without trying if i'm tired. if not, i rest and enjoy the book.
  • Kurstyna
    Kurstyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do a weighted beanbag across my eyes/temples with orange or lilac scent (not too much)
    I listen to a music c/d - even several times if I have to - so my mind slows down
    I add lots of fluffy pillows, blankets, duvets etc. I remove all external distractions from sleep env't.
    sometimes I leave a task light on in the far corner
    I drink 1 -2 large glasses of water before setting the alarm; really helps!
    I envision I am on holiday and floating in the deep blue ocean with no cares in the world
    I count sheep jumping over a fence
    I envision horses, lots of horses, running in a corral, running in a field, on a road, over a fence
    I think happy thoughts and of my family
    I hold my pillow tight
    I remember that every day will come to pass and with it, good things too. AMEN. If I am not asleep
    at this point I have a cookie or some candy and leave the light on for a while.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've had a bad sleep cycle for a few months during serious life events. My GP wouldn't prescribe sleeping aids and I had tried every otc available.
    I tried Difenhydramine on a Friday night, an antihistamine, and I slept for 12 hours straight. I took half a pill on Saturday and slept like a log again, but felt a bit drowsy on Sunday morning. As from that Monday, no more pills but the cycle was broken. I have been sleeping very well since.
    Difenhydramine is OTC here, I don't know where you live, you might try it or talk to your GP about it.
  • Maigret52
    Maigret52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble getting to sleep and then waking up a couple of hours after I did fall to sleep and unable to get back to it. I have started doing some meditation - just 20 minutes before going to bed and, as with some others, stopped eating anything at least 4 hours before going to bed. I don’t drink tea or coffee but have concentrated on trying to drink 2 litres of water during the day. No alcohol in the evening definitely helps! After a week of doing this, my sleep is certainly improving. Got 4 hours consecutively two night ago! Unheard of previously!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Open for discussion and suggestions!

The 2017 book "Why We Sleep: Unlock the Power of Sleep and Dreams." by Dr. Matt Walker was very influential. I love hearing that guy speak.

He has a podcast, where he is in the middle of a series on insomnia:
    https://www.sleepdiplomat.com/podcast

Full disclosure: I don't have bad insomnia, just an allies.