Daily Accountability Challenge!

Options

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did really well considering all the cookies and the pasta / pizza leftovers we've had in the fridge.... until last night. We were watching the neighbors kids for about 2 hours (husband on day shift and wife on night shift so they had an overhap yesterday). I'm feeding them and letting them each pick a cookie and suddenly have this urge to eat another cookie too. Which led to a handful of spice drops and meeting up with a friend for a large glass of wine after the kids left. In about 2 1/2 hours I killed all my good work yesterday.

I know every day is a fresh start and I'm taking that to heart today. Although I'm also tired and woke up hungry and those are never a great start. My daughter has basketball practice at the YMCA tonight and it's the same time as the Zumba class today so I'm going to slide down the hall and get a more high intensity workout in for myself while basketball is going.

@3moons3 I love so many types of meats and proteins that I never really struggle with that. However, I love all sorts of flavors and varieties of spices but my family isn't quite as good with branching out with flavors so in that I'm a lot like you. I wouldn't say they like it plain or bland but just like the same type of things over and over. I really want more variety than that in my life for sure.
    One other thing, what kind of Fitbit do you own? For some models you can purchase the clip instead of the watch band. Then you wouldn't need to wear it on your wrist but could clip to your waistband or bra for tracking.
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You ladies still are doing great, regardless of some slips here and there.

Selene; I feel ya' regarding the parents. Unfortunately, both of mine are gone but I look back fondly on taking care of them and cooking for them. I too was (is) a huge soup fan and made gallons every week for them and my son's family, still can't figure out how to make enough for just us.....so like Linny I have soup for days.....but I love soup!

Did a Body Pump class yesterday, Barre today and half hour on the treadmill each day. So, I am happy with that part. Food I am still maxing out my calories and need to get better prepared for the week. Thinking of making breakfast/lunch to help give me something to eat versus eating what I should not.

Tonight I have a girls dinner at a nice Mexican restaurant and I have calculated wine and half a burrito....luckily due to the exercise I am still within the calories. Now I just have to make sure to cut that burrito in half and eat no more. LOL

Keep up the good work everyone! I love hearing your progress.
  • ginnysue21
    ginnysue21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Working on the same things here! Had a good day went to the hibachi place for my daughter's birthday today and did pretty good. Got chicken and shrimp with veggies no rice but man it was loaded with sugar sauce so don't know how much of a win that was. Hoping to do better tomorrow :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group if you will have me :) My only issue is that I find it difficult to find a group that I join and when I do, I usually lose it and so I stop. I did bookmark this group but if anyone has any other tips to make it easier to find, I would greatly appreciate it! :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Options
    I actually just noticed that there have been changes in the views under Community so I can see my groups and bookmarks much easier! I haven't joined in any conversations in the community for a couple of years at least but I like the new look. I realized that this can be a lonely adventure if you do it 100% on your own so that's why I would like to join your challenge. :)
  • SeleneMoon333
    SeleneMoon333 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Welcome Italiana! I just joined recently too.

I didn't move much yesterday, but have been tracking consistently & have pretty much hit my mfp-generated goal (before exercise). Gotta start a work-out program, which I used to have, so movement is more intense.

As to meat, after being a vegetarian for a quarter century, I gained weight when I started eating meat again, I'll guess because of the added fat that was bound up with it, even with lean chicken. But I had to because I learned that soy, especially in the quantities I used it, was a problem with my thyroid Rx. So, protein was a problem for me either way.

Tues, heated up the soup but forgot about it until I burned the pan badly, and had to put it outside!
    1)Rx: 5/23 2)track 5/23 3)h2o 2.5/23 4)move 4/23 5)fitbit 2/20 6)floss 2/23 7)clean: 5/23 8)weigh-in 1/4

Wed, assuming I drink 6 more cups today. Making a different soup today, French Onion to go with 40 garlic chicken and green beans and salad for dinner
    1)Rx: 6/23 2)track 6/23 3)h2o 3.5/23 4)move 6/23 5)fitbit 3/20 6)floss 3/23 7)clean: 6/23 8)weigh-in 1/4
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm not going to lie. I slipped way up yesterday and have leftovers from that plus a busy schedule today so I'll probably not be great today either. I know this weekend has food events for Saturday and Sunday as well so I might have to just moderate a bit through all of that and then start fresh on Monday. It's that time of the year. My biggest slip and my leftovers are because my almost 9 year old daughter wanted us to have a date yesterday. We ended up at Cracker Barrel (her favorite restuarant) and I didn't stick to my healthier choices. Often I'll get soup and salad if it's lunch time or the grilled chicken at dinner time but yesterday I went full into chicken and dumplings and biscuits with butter. Of course, my girl was sitting there telling me to go for the country fried steak so this was more a happy medium than a full fledged fall... still.... not the best menu choice.

She has her winter concert / musical and has a part in it tonight so between work being crazy and running to that right after the leftovers will be my biggest meal today. I love that I get to be there with her and cheer her on though and I love that she still wants to go hang out with me and have fun together so an occasional splurge isn't too bad at all. It's just that it's on top of all the other things that happen in December that is causing my irritation with myself.

Also, with going to the concert there is zero chance of my getting to Zumba at the gym tonight so no real exercise today either. It's going to be rough on my food & activity log.

@DawnCumm I haven't been to a good Mexican place in a hot minute. Burritos sound so good! Did you stick to your plan?

@ginnysue21 Hibachi also sounds good. Man, you all are eating so many tasty things that I haven't had in ages. I'm going to need to make a meal plan that mixes all that stuff in even if I have to make it homemade at home and slash the calories.

@Italiana_xx79 Welcome!!! I do like that the bookmarks are MUCH easier to find than they used to be. I've been on the site for a number of years and there was a long time I didn't use the community either because navigation was kind of horrible. I don't love all the updates but that one was pretty great.

@3moons3 Can you share your French Onion Soup recipe? I love that kind of soup and I know it's not difficult but I've never actually made that one myself.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Welcome all you newbies!!!! Can not wait to see how you are doing. I did stick to plan and have been exercising like cray. But hurt my hip and taking today off. I guess at 61 I can’t jump around like I used to. LOL

oruocn0a73ks.jpeg

Pic of wine glass #1

:p

• SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Good early (for me 10 pm) evening!
    Linny, it does sound challenging this weekend, but that's a good challenge...having a full social calendar & holiday parties...these events really only do come once a year! And the cracked barrel is still chicken just with more carbs & fat cals versus anything fried is WAY worse. Time spent with your daughter is precious :smiley:

Dawn, that wine looks great! Good hip medicine, cuts the pain :wink:

Today I fussed & tidied in the garden for a bit, then sat & messed with xmas nets of lights & hung 'em outside for mom, then got cold; ate randomly, but tracked 4 cals just under my goal limit already; last few nights I was several hundred calories under, but then end up snacking to fill it up again, very late; for example late last night, stormy here (at least we aren't getting the blizzard nor tornadoes!) so couldn't sleep and so up very, very late again & ended up snacking on sunflower seeds...gotta go to sleep earlier...I think that's in my January goals! Both yesterday and today I had a big portion of the garlic chicken, & over the 20% mfp says for protein...I got 120% vs. (100% of 20%), so 24-25% protein, while still in the total calorie range so hitting CICO (someone on reddit said they pronounce calories in-out 'psycho'; someone else said it was 'chico', and having more protein, like 25%, leaves me full and less snackish for hours, up until the wee hours are nigh.

We still have tons of holiday things to do as we start later because the fam celebrates 2 Xmas's,(which was super fun as kids...gifts both times, tho mostly on 25th) 'American' on 25th & Ukrainian on Jan. 7 (Orthodox, which Dad is, plus the kids technically, though I celebrate on Solstice). Mom's working on her cards, then there's the linens to wash, the holiday dinnerware dishes to bring up, the tree, baking (I'm doing a gingerbread house from scratch from some old whole wheat flour I failed to use up last winter that is spoiled) plus maybe some cookies from this year's ww flour (I'm the main one who bakes with it), also shopping and wrapping, and THEN making the 12 dishes (meatless) for Ukrainian Xmas Eve; I make several of them by Solstice. Then mom does a turkey on Xmas Day, but she says turkey is no big thing to do, and it's usually the lower key, smaller fam, just the ones in-town; my sister who lives in Canada may be coming for a visit the day after, 'Boxing Day', depending on weather & logistics, but probably not. Plus cleaning and extra cleaning of course. Plus I need to start a more serious exercise program, so I can reach, or at least approach, my year-end goal. What do you all have left to do in '22?

Th, 15th: low on water, only 2 so far (it's 11:08 now, so only planning on 2 more)
    1)Rx: 7/23 2)track 7/23 3)h2o 4/23 4)move 6/23 5)fitbit 4/20 6)floss 4/23 7)clean: 7/23 8)weigh-in 1/4 (2nd this weekend)
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Whoops, almost forgot...my French onion soup: I've seen *BUNCHES* of different takes on it, from basically beef soup with onions, down to my 1-3 ingredient version...back when I was on spark people and entering it as a recipe, I compared the popular ones, which mostly used beef broth. I'm not a fan as an ex-veg, so I use either homemade veg broth (rare) or veg. bouillion powder I stock up on in the fall at my co-op. Basically,1) it's: chopped onions, (I usually prefer sweet ones, like walla wallas, or mauis, or TX sweets or vidalias. I usually do about an onion and a half per serving, chopped, by hand or in food processor (fast!) 2) carmelize them in your soup pot...either w/ oil or w/out, depending on your needs. The result is a deep and intense caramelization of the sweet onions (or you can throw in some sugar with regular onions, if that's what ya got). 3) Add broth/bouillion & water/ just water to make soup. About 1.5 C for every onion, but I usually just eyeball it, usually about half-way to 3/4 full in the pot. Bring to a boil (sometimes I use pre-boiled water from the electric kettle to speed it up) then simmer for 20-30 minutes to meld and mellow. Season to taste, add herbs as you please (esp. thyme, parsley, maybe rosemary or sage (Hello Simon&Garfunkel) or others as you please. Also can add garlic, white wine (or even red if you are using beef broth), bay leaf, a bit of flour or cornstarch if you want it thicker (it's brothy, but can be thickened by just boiling away more of the liquid), butter or more oil if you are feeling decadent (I usually use a bit of olive oil, just for the floating liquid oil blobs on top of the soup, and it's not many calories over the whole pot; esp. if I eschew a cheese layer); other flavor enhancements: soy sauce, worcester sauce, other alcohols, other broths, nutmeg or it's more mild skin: mace herb, sometimes mustard, or something spicy like red pepper flakes or tabasco (just a hint), some people use some milk, or a roux, but I rarely do. If calories were no object, I might include sour cream, maybe instead of the cheese below, but I've only done this rarely. I could also see adding other veg into it, but again, that's rare, and it's not French Onion.

Then, the piece de resistance...in each bowl, some grated or sliced cheese, gruyere or swiss or emanthaler is what I usually use, and maybe some bread. The bread can be a baguette (great way to use up stale french bread) sliced, I often toast mine, or I often do croutons; my bread is usually whole grain/wheat as I don't do white bread personally, much *at all*.

But super simply it's 1 ingredient: caramelized onions in water. The deeper the caramelization, the deeper brown and more flavorful the water. If I make a big pot, the first day no cheese nor bread, the second day gets maybe a light sprinkle of grated cheese, the third gets bread and cheese...kinda soup and sandwich, all in a bowl.

Anyway...now it's 3:45AM & I just had a craving for the brioche I got my folks, but I'm yawning too, so I'm gonna resist until AM when I'll just have a taste....Good night!
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    now I really want onion soup! LOL, going to make some this weekend for our Sunday family dinner. We are all vegetarians, I have been for around 40 years, so my son and grands have never eaten meat.....but on Sunday we are trying a new vegan filet mignon, should be interesting. We have about a 50 50 split on mock meats actually being eatable, so fingers crossed. As some know I went up a couple pounds and I was so upset, but I am working it back down, I weigh in each Thursday and I am a big Yo Yo. Happy to see how you are all doing, remember this is the holidays and give yourself some latitude, just track and stay the course. I have the grands next week and we have tons of food related fun planned, making cookies, cakes, skating and pizza, lunch out the day school ends....the list goes on.....but I promise to measure and check in so I don't go AWOL. When and if I drop that is normally a tell/tell sign that I have gone off the rails. LOL I will do my best to hang in there.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    oh, and about my burrito.....it was AMAZING! I cut it in half and saved the rest for the next day, but it fell out of the car and was eaten by a bear, LOL. It was meant to be!!! Karma was like, NOOOOOO, you do not need any more burrito! LOL
  • Italiana_xx79
    Options
    I just joined this thread and I have already missed days :( I am sorry. I plan on logging in everyday next week and sticking to my food journal! Between work and life, I find it so hard to take time to do this. I am not on my computer at night and only use my app but I can't find this thread using my app. It seems like the only time I have is 5 minutes before I fall asleep, lol!

I am prepping a new lunch this weekend for next weekend. I am making the Crack Slaw recipe. I used to eat it a lot because I liked it so much but then got burnt out eating it everyday for almost a year so I haven't had it in about two years now! I don't like spending time prep cooking during the weekend but it really does help me through the week so I will keep doing it. I have some Christmas shopping to finish and then Christmas meal and desert planning to do.

What are your plans for the weekend?
  • lalejen
    lalejen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just found this group and it looks like a great one! I've definitely stalled in my weight loss so I'm looking for some community and accountability. I just turned 60 and am going back to Orangetheory to restart exercising. I'm also committing to logging every day!
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Hello all, I did okay today, was up quite late last night (& I go on & on apparently then) so got up late today. Didn't have breakfast until almost 6pm, then turned around and had dinner a couple hours later. Didn't get much done on my list, but I think I am set up to have a productive weekend...baking, cleaning, a bit of snow shoveling, some gift knitting, some decorating, and work outs! Also staying on track, with luck.

Welcome Jen! I turn 60 in Feb. Tracking is KEY, for me.

Italiana-a thought: fav this thread in your browser if it's what you are looking for. It's a hard season to be completely caught up with anything. Slaw is *so good* for ya!

Dawn—hey veg friend, WOW son & grands that have never eaten meat! Good for you, them, and the animals! I'm meh on the vegan meats, but appreciate them. Can relate to dropping out of convos being the telltale sign of 'going off the rails'.

F, 16th: again low on water, only 2 so far (it's 1:09 now, so only planning on 2 more)
    1)Rx: 8/23 2)track 8/23 3)h2o 4.5/23 4)move 6/23 5)fitbit 5/20 6)floss 5/23 7)clean: 7/23 8)weigh-in 1/4 (2nd this weekend)
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Welcome @lalejen ! hope we can keep this thread going strong!
    @Italiana_xx79 I need that Crack Slaw recipe.....love coleslaw if that is what it might be??? :)

Trying to hang in there, lots of prep for the holidays making appetizers, cookies and candies.....and of course I taste them all. That being said, I am working my but off (hopefully) at the gym every week day.

Keep the ball rolling ladies!
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Oh.....and for the messaging about age, I am 61 and trying my best to lose the last 20 lbs that seem to NOT want to go away.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    I know I was pretty silent with all the crazy over the past 3 or 4 days but here I am back this morning. It's been insanely busy and I definitely didn't eat well... but if I can keep from gaining a bunch thru the end of the year I'm ok with that.

I'm trying to find time between work emails to go back and read whatever was posted in my groups later today so I won't tag everyone right now. I'll circle back in a while. As for tracking today I'll do my best but there are so many leftovers to kill off that I'm not 100% sure how to track so I'll have to figure it out as I go.

One thing I did make for both event days this weekend was a corn chowder that was fabulous! I replaced the sweet potato with frozen pre-cubed butternut squash and doubled it so it lasted for both days. Otherwise I stuck to the recipe and it was a favorite for everyone. We served it with fresh scallions, cilantro and a habanero hot sauce.
    https://realfoodwholelife.com/recipes/slow-cooker-creamy-potato-corn-chowder-dairy-free-recipe/
  • SeleneMoon333
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi all!
    Linny, that recipe looks great, and I will have to delay rabbit-holing the rest of her site
    Dawn, OF COURSE you have to taste...you can't serve without tasting; good for you for getting stuff done. and hitting the gym daily.
    I tracked yesterday & over the weekend, but totally forgot to post here. I had hoped the weekend would be more productive than it was, but I'm not stressing about it. Tomorrow (Tues) is Solstice Eve, and I make 'food of my ancestors to celebrate', and then we eat these again with our 12 course Xmas Eve dinner. The 2 I'll definitely make are kutia (a wheat berry, poppy seed, walnut and honey porridge that's both dessert and the following morning's breakfast), and potato and cheese pierogies. I'm actually going to go peel 10 pounds of potatoes after I finish typing this up.

The other tradition I do on solstice is to stay up all night, to mark the longest night and shortest day, but I actually did that 2 nights ago because right as I was going to sleep I heard something in the corner of the room, or in the walls there. We've had a mouse problem ever since I had to put my cat down at the beginning of the pandemic, March 7, 2020. (Also my sister's birthday); so I think it's probably mice. Freaked me out and couldn't go to sleep. Didn't hear them much since then. Anyway. I also watch the druids' celebration at Stonehenge (UK) online. It's on my bucket list to attend one of their solstice celebrations in person.

I finally weighed myself today and nothing gained nor lost. Have been tracking and got some cardio in with snow shoveling Sat & Sun, but only a couple of inches of snow fell. Yesterday I went over my calories (before exercise) but not by a lot, and it was the first time in a while. Didn't work out hard today, but will do so tomorrow or some time this week. It would be nice to lose another 4 pounds before New Years, and the original goal was 14 more, but with only 2 weekends left, I'm resigned to a slower plan, for now. Progress, not perfection.

S, S, & M: 17th, 18th, 19th: still not hitting water (~2/3) nor floss goals
    1)Rx: 11/23 2)track 11/23 3)h2o 6.5/23 4)move 9/23 5)fitbit 8/20 6)floss 6/23 7)clean: 10/23 8)weigh-in 2/4 (3nd Xmas weekend)
  • Lynn__W
    Lynn__W Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hi. So thankful I found this group. Hope there's room for one more.
    Feel like I'm in the middle of such a chaotic mess. Areas of the house need serious decluttering and purging, I'm struggling with fatigue / burnout, family is scattered and Christmas ... well this year Christmas just feels like a whole lot of extra work piled on top an already overloaded schedule. I'm probably not actually all that busy but just don't have the energy, focus or motivation to get things done. Queen of procrastination here. I'm a senior but still working and for the past two months have been given extra shifts ... hence the fatigue. I'm working thru Christmas and New year's weekends so we've pared our own celebrations to bare minimum.
    But I do need to get some decluttering done.
    Starting in ?October-ish I began to lose the wt loss battle ... 2022 has been the year of plateau, and I've held my wt to the low 160's; recently it's climbed to the mid 160's. I set goals but don't reach them. i've drifted away from daily deliberate exercising too and I used to be the queen of cardio etc.
    I need to restart and don't want to wait until January .. So pledging to post here daily.
    Focus for today will be to : Keep food points w/i limit ( track WW points), tackle the back corner of the basement and organize canning jars etc; spend 15 minutes some type of deliberate exercise.
    It's bitterly cold outside so going to count stretching etc towards exercise minutes.
    Sorry that this's such a negative sounding post ... it'll get better.
    Lynn