What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,954 Member
    Back to rowing machine, once again body mysteriously decided it wanted to go a little faster (despite low Garmin Body Battery value (37/100) at the start). 🤷‍♀️

1k at 2:29.8 pace/19spm/104W
    2k at 2:25.5 pace/18spm/114W
    2k at 2:24.2 pace/18spm/117W
    2k at 2:22.5 pace/19spm/121W

2' between the pieces (row out 5 strokes, slug some water, wipe sweat, row easy the remaining 1' to 1:15). At the end, stopped entirely for about 1' to see how HR responded (dropped from 159bpm to 125bpm), then 2' easy rowing to CD.

Not gonna lie, for me this pace at those spm felt like a power endurance workout. The last piece was challenging, but not max effort. Almost half the total time (including those easy-rowing "rests") was Z4. HR average 137bpm (about 76% HRmax), peak 159bpm (88%), over the total time period.

7,991m overall in 753 strokes.

Planned rest day tomorrow.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Crossfit-style workout today - post comp and before the next block of technical training starts, so I’m working on cardio fitness and stamina. Lots of dumbbell snatches, clean and presses, tonnes of core work (holding weighted hyperextensions for 40 secs, supersetted with slow controlled leg raises for instance).

I hate CrossFit and I’m pants at it, but it sure gets the heart going!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I must have tweaked my tight left shoulder while doing stretches on the TRX Thursday. It was inflamed yesterday, even after a massage. The pain actually woke me overnight and I needed to take ibuprofen and then ice it at 3am in order to get back to sleep.

When I woke up this morning, my wife had already texted an orthopedist in her office to add me to his patient schedule for Monday. This will probably lead to a cortisone injection and maybe some PT.

In the meantime, I won't do anything more intense than walking. Downtime this week is fine, but I really can't let this fester and drag out for weeks (like I usually do, lol!)

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, hope it heals quickly!
  • BigMech
    Good lower body workout today. I finally got the new leg press machine put together and was able to use it today!

Stretched

48 minutes on the spin bike, average heart rate: 131
    28 minutes walking on the treadmill, average heart rate: 128

56 minutes lifting weights:

Leg Press: 12@140, 12@230, 10@300, 8@350, 8@350, 8@350, 8@350, 8@350, Drop set: 8@350, 8@300, 8@230, 10@140
    Crunches: 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30
    Romanian Deadlifts: 12@95, 10@145, 8@185 , 8@185 , 8@185, Drop set: 8@185, 8@145, 8@95
    Side Bends (each side): 10@30lbs, 10@30, 10@30 10@30
    Step-Ups (each leg): 10, 10, 10, 10

Stretched

I'm gonna feel that leg pressing tomorrow, though I do need to order some more 45lb plates.
  • BigMech
    Great upper-body workout this morning. I hit a bunch of new highs on my lifts. I'm definitely feeling all those set on the leg press from yesterday. Quads are good and sore.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, average heart rate:136
    21 minutes walking on the treadmill, average heart rate:130

59 minutes lifting weights:
    Superset: Barbell bench press, Wide grip lat pull-downs, Seated dumbbell overhead press
    Chest: 12@135, 10@165, 8@185, 6@205, 3@215, Drop set: 2@225, 4@195, 4@165, 8@135
    Back: 12@110, 10@145, 8@165, 6@185, 4@205, Drop set: 3@210, 4@180, 5@150, 8@120
    Shoulders: 12@30, 10@35, 7@40, 6@40, 6@40, Drop set: 3@45, 6@35, 6@30, 8@25

Superset: Cable triceps press-downs, Crunches, Seated dumbbell concentration curls, Landmine twists
    Triceps: 10@60, 7@80, Drop set: 3@100, 6@70, 10@40
    Crunches: 25, 25, 25, 25
    Biceps: 10@30, 8@40, Drop set: 4@50, 6@40, 10@30
    Landmine twists 10, 10+10lbs, 10+20lbs, 10

Stretched
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Did a lift this morning (my usual -- full body, compound movements -- tons of reps).

Had a hard interval row at lunch. I've learned my rowing after lifting is pretty bad. This was no different. On Thursday, I did a 3 X 2K w/ 3 minute recovery at 2:11 pace. Today was 2:16. Just died after the first one. The rest was just painful. All unstrapped work at around 22 SPM (strokes per minute).
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2022
    Bike today, give the iffy shoulder another day (even though I don't think rowing is the direct cause, and even though it won't help to make the switch . . . .).

Shorter time/distance, too, today - just schedule logistics.

I realized I've reported recent stationary bike pieces here as 10k, when they've actually been 15k since Thanksgiving.

Today it actually was 10k + 3' CD.

106W average on the 10k, 86 on the CD, HR average 126bpm, peak 145bpm, mostly Z3.

@djproulx, I hope your shoulder's feeling better, or will soon if not yet.

@BigMech, congratulations on your new highs, and multiples of them at once: That's great progress!
    Did a lift this morning (my usual -- full body, compound movements -- tons of reps).

Had a hard interval row at lunch. I've learned my rowing after lifting is pretty bad. This was no different. On Thursday, I did a 3 X 2K w/ 3 minute recovery at 2:11 pace. Today was 2:16. Just died after the first one. The rest was just painful. All unstrapped work at around 22 SPM (strokes per minute).

@MikePfirrman - Oh, man: Yes. I need to start talking myself into resuming some lifting after Christmas, and will be doing it after rowing when they fall on the same day. (But I know my priorities are not everyone's! 😆)

How is unstrapped going? Are your unstrapped times converging on strapped-in ones (if that's not too personal a question)?

• AnnPT77
    P.S. Was moody and feeling unpleasant after dinner, so decided to get back on the bike and go for a while at a "could go all day" pace. Ended up with another 21k in barely over an hour, at a mere 62 watts, almost entirely Z2 (peak HR 124, avg 117, so just kind of gently moving). Do I feel better? Dunno. A little more sleepy, which is worth something, I guess. 😆
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Walked about 60 minutes, about 30 of those while carrying several pounds of Christmas shopping. May be unconventional as far as workouts go, but hey, it counts.

In other news I am back on the horse with running. My knees are feeling better so yesterday I ran on the treadmill again and did 1.5 miles in under 15 minutes, which means I haven't lost too much ground. I also did my usual weights. I did remove lunges and kettlebell squats from my training since my knee pain only started after I began doing those.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I had a week's holiday in the Maldives. I was on a liveaboard, so I slept on the boat I was on.

It was lovely, I got 20 dives in.

The legal restrictions on diving there are you allowed an hour maximum; no deco; and 30 metres maximum. Most of my dives were 60 minutes and 30 metres, so I did the maximum allowed.

Here is a batfish, taken on a 360 degree camera so you can scroll around:
    https://youtu.be/WMiP2GUG8Yg

I got back late on Sunday.

Yesterday, I went climbing. It was a very good session. The gym had reset, so I mainly tried the new routes. 2.5 hour session.
  • BigMech
    Cardio workout this morning. Needed a break from lifting after hit it hard the last few days.

Stretched

48 minutes on the spin bike, average heart rate: 131
    31 minutes walking on the treadmill, average heart rate:122

29 minutes of core work
    Crunches: 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30
    Kettlebell pass arounds: 30lbs: 20, 20, 20, 20
    Kettlebell side swings: 30lbs, 8, 8, 8 8
    Landmine Twists:10, 10+10lbs, 10+20lbs, 8+30lbs, 10

Stretched
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    BigMech wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I must have tweaked my tight left shoulder while doing stretches on the TRX Thursday. It was inflamed yesterday, even after a massage. The pain actually woke me overnight and I needed to take ibuprofen and then ice it at 3am in order to get back to sleep.

When I woke up this morning, my wife had already texted an orthopedist in her office to add me to his patient schedule for Monday. This will probably lead to a cortisone injection and maybe some PT.

In the meantime, I won't do anything more intense than walking. Downtime this week is fine, but I really can't let this fester and drag out for weeks (like I usually do, lol!)

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, hope it heals quickly!

Thanks! It's much better.
  • Djproulx
    edited December 2022
    drmwc- What a great trip that must have been! Love the underwater video.

After a few days off, I'll resume with an easy run today, then return to trainer sessions on Thursday morning. The slippery slope of laziness often hits me over the holidays, so I signed up for an indoor bike trainer session that starts in mid January. Having that on the calendar will help keep me from shutting down completely, lol.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2022
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Bike today, give the iffy shoulder another day (even though I don't think rowing is the direct cause, and even though it won't help to make the switch . . . .).

Shorter time/distance, too, today - just schedule logistics.

I realized I've reported recent stationary bike pieces here as 10k, when they've actually been 15k since Thanksgiving.

Today it actually was 10k + 3' CD.

106W average on the 10k, 86 on the CD, HR average 126bpm, peak 145bpm, mostly Z3.

@djproulx, I hope your shoulder's feeling better, or will soon if not yet.

@BigMech, congratulations on your new highs, and multiples of them at once: That's great progress!

@MikePfirrman - Oh, man: Yes. I need to start talking myself into resuming some lifting after Christmas, and will be doing it after rowing when they fall on the same day. (But I know my priorities are not everyone's! 😆)

How is unstrapped going? Are your unstrapped times converging on strapped-in ones (if that's not too personal a question)?

Hi Ann! Unstrapped is going fine. It took me like a month or two to get it back down again. I'm pretty happy to be able to pull 2:10 ish on unstapped rows right now. The first 2K I did was a 2:08 pace at 23 SPM. It has really helped get me back into more solid form. I'm still occasionally doing some funky stuff with my left shoulder (I broke my collar bone years ago) and I'm (at times) uneven a bit due to my right knee being so cruddy, but it's better form than I was doing a year or so ago.

I have to do a 500m TT this month. I wish I was in better shape right now, because that's one Personal Best I still think I have a shot of improving on. My best 500m ever was around 1:40. I pulled a 1:45 just last month right after the flu. My strength is there. I just need better cardio fitness now.

I used to lift 3X a week. I'm happy now just to do two. I always look at lifting like this -- the longer I wait to do it, the more DOMS I'm going to experience and I hate being sore.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    @drmwc

I wonder if I'll ever get to do warm water diving again. Heck, even the California Channel is warmer than around here, and that was lovely. I still wore a drysuit, but could use 3mm gloves and often skip the hood and use less weight since I had fewer thermal layers on. Live-aboard diving is the best. No sand or dirt on the gear, and a quick fresh-water rinse after each dive. Rinse; repeat.

We were fortunate that they do California style diving. The crew gets the boat set up, the captain gives a dive briefing, and then they open the gates. You get to plan your own dive and dive your own plan. When you get back on the boat, if the gates are still open, you can get a refill and do a second dive. If they are closed, you wait until they move to the next spot. Sometimes the places are SO nice and SO diverse, they'd stay long enough for two dives.

Lately I'm just diving in the aquarium and scrubbing things. Still cold water about 50°. At least there's fresh water showers topside, and no sand of course. Keeps the buoyancy skills fresh for sure, especially working shallower than 12 feet like near the top of the tunnel or the top of the columns.
  • DSpence1973
    DSpence1973 Posts: 17 Member
    Friday was full body strength training, Sat/Sun were heavy BJJ sessions, Yesterday another full body strength training. Today will just be an easy cardio treadmill day. Probably do intervals of 2 min run/2 min fast walk for about an hour. May mix in a few sets of light push ups/pull ups/core to keep things loose.
  • BigMech
    Good lower body workout today.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, average heart rate: 129
    21 minutes walking on the treadmill, average heart rate: 133

56 minutes lifting weights:
    1. Barbell front box squats: 12@bar, 10@75, 8@95, 6@115, Drop set: 4@125, 4@95, 6@65
    2. Crunches: 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30
    3. Sumo Deadlifts: 8@95, 8@145, 6@175, Drop set: 4@195, 5@145, 8@95
    4. Kettlebell Side Swings
    5. Leg Press: 15@140, 12@230, 10@300, 10@300, Drop set: 10@300, 8@230, 10@140

Stretched.

I'm going to have to up the intensity on the spin bike, as my average heart rate during the workout is start to drop. I guess that's a sign of progress!

I'm really liking the new leg press I got for my home gym. It really allows me to burn out my legs.

• AnnPT77
    Rowing machine, the 1k + (3 x 2k) again, with 2' row in/out and drink break between, 3' CD. Slower, 2:28.9 pace/21spm average on the pieces, 8252m overall, mostly Z3 with about 1' slipped slightly into Z4, average HR 131bpm.

Shoulder joint is still quite zappy-ouchy on the turnaround into recovery, pain moderates if I force shoulders down quickly at that point. (If it hurt on the drive, I wouldn't row.)

I'd added insult to injury yesterday, wrenched upper back out of whack somehow on the same side, I think while flinging milk jugs into a tall, full giant recycling bin yesterday (improbably enough), but I messed around with the Theracane a little this morning and that helped that part. After the Holiday Challenge is over, thinking I'll back off shoulder stress, maybe until I see my osteopath in early January, see what he thinks is going on. Need only 6090m to hit the Challenge goal, and can easily get that on the bike (as 12,180m) between now and the 24th.

@MikePfirrman, I would think your strength training would be a good contributor to improving 500m TT, though I understand the results could be muted this round (post flu). Good show that your unstrapped times are coming down!

Avoiding DOMS isn't a great motivator for me, unfortunately, and I normally ramp up weight/reps/sets gradually each Winter anyway when I restart, as an injury avoidance strategy. My resilience at 67 isn't what it was at 20, and injury has a high cost (mostly via detraining) as a consequence. It doesn't help that I'm lazy, don't enjoy strength training. 🤷‍♀️ Hoping the current shoulder thing will be an easy fix, might try some super-light lifts soon just to see if the movement hurts.

@BigMech, absolutely a lower HR at the same pace biking is a sign of improving CV fitness. Nice work!
  • BigMech
    Good upper body workout today.

Stretched

42 minutes on the spin bike, average heart rate: 139
    26 minutes walking on the treadmill, average heart rate: 125

59 minutes lifting weights

Superset: Dumbbell incline press, Cable rows, One-armed landmine overhead press
    1. Chest: 15@35, 10@50, 8@60, 8@60, Drop set: 8@60, 8@45, 10@35
    2. Back: 12@110, 10@140, 8@160, 6@180, Drop set: 4@200, 4@170, 6@140, 10@110
    3. Shoulders: 12@55, 10@65, 10@75, 8@85, Drop set 6@95, 6@85, 6@75, 8@65

Superset: Rope triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell curls, Side bends
    1. Triceps: 10@40, 8@50, Drop set: 8@60, 10@40
    2. Crunches: 30, 30, 30, 30
    3. Biceps: 10@25, 10@30, Drop set: 8@35, 10@25
    4. Side Bends, each side: 10@30, 10@30, 10@30, 10@30

Superset: Leg press, Calf Raises
    1. Leg Press: 12@140, 12@140, 12@140, 12@140
    2. Calf Raises 12@140, 12@140, 12@140, 12@140:

Stretched

Cranked up the resistance a 1/4 turn on the spin bike, definitely made things a little tougher!

I don't mind being a little sore after a good workout. I feel like it lets me know I did a good job at targeting the right muscle groups. That's muscle soreness though, not joint or tendon.

• Djproulx
    This morning's trainer session was based on 10 min blocks of 40 seconds of work, 20 second recovery, alternating between two movements AMRAP. We did four rounds, so eight movements total (resistance band curls, mountain climbers w/hands on a ball, dynamax crunches, TRX skull crushers, sandbag squats, hamstring curls on sliders, etc)

Partly due to reading the posts from regulars here detailing the ups and downs that come with our long term commitment to exercise, I'm starting to think more about my annual training plan and goals for 2023. After this morning's session, I had a chat with my trainer and we agreed to follow last winter's base building approach, since I made great strides in power (for cycling/swimming) from Jan-April.

She then made me promise not to ignore her advice and risk injuring myself doing stuff that I shouldn't do, such as explosive sled pushes.