…and This is Why People Have Unrealistic Weight Loss Expectations

Options

Replies

• dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There was an ad on my local radio station advertising an exercise class that makes you burn 5000 calories in 30 minutes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    6m1d13x4he4l.jpeg

This lady looks so darned happy at the prospect of having her fat vacuumed out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Even the less-awful sources' marketing is pretty eye-roll-y . . . another click-bait race to the bottom, I guess.
    snfohatat78m.png
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Even the less-awful sources' marketing is pretty eye-roll-y . . . another click-bait race to the bottom, I guess.
    snfohatat78m.png
    Indeed. I have had to learn to no longer respect the Mayo Clinic as much as I once did. They have some pretty questionable, even irresponsible, claims on their site. While this merits its own discussion, I can't help but wonder if there is an alternative. Strictly sticking to established science seems to drive more people away than it attracts and the pandemic has shown us the devastating effects this can have. The US is obviously the worst of all, but many other countries really are not that far behind.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    6m1d13x4he4l.jpeg

And the artful placement of a small array of succulents just makes the whole experience look so darned spa-like.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    6m1d13x4he4l.jpeg

And the artful placement of a small array of succulents just makes the whole experience look so darned spa-like.

I’m sure they allow succulents in operating rooms, right?

Just like I was looking at the guys working out in scrubs this morning (my gym is affiliated with and physically attached to a major metro hospital/trauma center).

I was wondering which was grosser: hospital personnel working out in scrubs after a shift, or working out in scrubs in a gym before a shift?

Either way, you know there was no change in scrubs involved. 🤢

MERSA, anyone?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    FWIW, I posted a similar thread over in Debate a couple of years ago, with this as the lead illustration; I think it's worth sharing here for the eye-roll factor:

h91c6ldxc5ip.jpg

From my supermarket check-out area, as is probably obvious.

There are a number of things about that magazine cover that are pretty hilarious to me, not least the inevitable juxtaposition of treats and weight-loss diets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    All fitness magazines have "lose fat" or "waist reduction" ads on the front cover. Classic bait and switch just to get you to buy the magazine. And more and more articles are disingenuous at the truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I posted a similar thread over in Debate a couple of years ago, with this as the lead illustration; I think it's worth sharing here for the eye-roll factor:

h91c6ldxc5ip.jpg

There are a number of things about that magazine cover that are pretty hilarious to me, not least the inevitable juxtaposition of treats and weight-loss diets.

I know why they did it, but that backwards "S" in "REVERSE" is testing my sanity.

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. I agree, shameless really.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    in the early 1990s, when i got into fitness, i read only the men's magazines as the women's always talked about getting toned like it was something other than getting strong and fit.

being fed unrealistic expectations about fitness and weight is nothing new. in older archie comics, they always had archie or the other guys get in shape for sports in a single week, doing workouts that would exhaust anyone. then, a week later - voila! they're in much better shape.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Look no further than Popeye eating canned spinach to instantly triple his strength.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

h91c6ldxc5ip.jpg

I may still have a similar cover somewhere. I like this part the best:
    xxjg1c1bupf9.png
    Of course, we should never forget Angus Barbieri who lost 327 g a day on average by fasting, about a third of what is claimed here. He also died very young. While I have not been able to fnd what he died of, I can't help but think that his fast has something to do with it.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I had to look up that Angus Barbieri. 382 days fasting, 276 pounds lost from 456 to 180. He took vitamins, electrolytes, yeast (for amino acids), and occasionally milk and sugar especially towards the end. That's incredible self control to keep going like that to target weight. He was 27 at the time, and died aged 51.

Don't know if true, but it says here he died of stomach bleeding and obesity. So I'm assuming being 24 years later his death wasn't because of the fast.

If you don't want to click the link I found via reddit,

"We have a discord server where we studied Angus' life. A very good friend of mine in the UK officially requested his death certificate.

The causes of death, if I remember correctly, were:

Stomach bleeding, something else (sorry), and obesity.

We were trying to understand if they put obesity on there just because he was obese decades before, or if he was obese again at that time. But we're pretty sure he put the weight back on. He died in Warwick."

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21673486
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    in the early 1990s, when i got into fitness, i read only the men's magazines as the women's always talked about getting toned like it was something other than getting strong and fit.

being fed unrealistic expectations about fitness and weight is nothing new. in older archie comics, they always had archie or the other guys get in shape for sports in a single week, doing workouts that would exhaust anyone. then, a week later - voila! they're in much better shape.

On the same thread where I posted that magazine photo**, I posted a pair of Men's Health and Women's Health magazine special issue covers. Both had the main title "No Gym Required" . . . but the subtitle and cover teasers are very different. Start with the first subtitles: "Body-Weight Workouts You Can Do Anywhere" vs. "Hot-Body Workouts You Can Do Anywhere" (guess which was men, which women ;) ). It gets sillier from there (for my tastes).

You'll have to take my word on this next point, but when I flipped through each, it was pretty much the same exercises in the same order page by page, but with a female vs. male model used in the photos.

** for reference, even though it's not that great a thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10751781/wondered-where-people-get-some-of-these-ideas/p1

The photo referenced is part way down page 2.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

h91c6ldxc5ip.jpg

That magazine and Women's Weekly never cease to amaze me. Week after week their covers promise big weight loss, less stress and better sleep. I just wonder how their writers can repackage the same garbage over and over again.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Here are three crazy ones from the past to add to the list to make us feel better that it is not just us who are nuts about weightloss and succumb to scams or unhealthy practices …
    Smoking. — i am sure many of us remember smoking being used informally as a tool to keep from eating but cigarettes were actually promoted as diet aids to women. Remember Virginia Slims? My great aunt worked for a Manhattan advertising agency that did tobacco ads (a true mad woman!) and she used to have a candy dish full of loose cigarettes in her apartment to keep her girlish figure.
    Tapeworms - I don’t know of anyone who has actually done it but swallowing diet aids that contained viable tapeworm eggs also used to be a thing. My mom tells me I look like I swallowed a tapeworm
    The sleeping beauty diet —apparently used by Elvis, the idea is to sleep so you don’t eat, which is logical to a point, but Elvis and other adherents supposedly used to use alcohol in combination with sedatives in order to try to stay asleep for extended periods of time.

• LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    yes, the crazy makers for me particularly are the photos of food treats/feasts right next to the Diet promises that you can eat what you want and lose 2 lbs a week! (think ice cream or pizza diets) lol :D