Cheese Admiration and Celebration

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    The husband and I pulled out the Raclette Mini Grill again for the New Year. We've decided to make it our regular New Year's thing. One year we hope to actually have it in Switzerland. Granted, that may be a bad idea, as I doubt our home version will ever be as good again. LOL.

Our daughter gave us one of these for Christmas several years ago, explaining it was a German tradition. We asked her how to use it, and she stared blankly at us and said “I don’t know. I’ve never seen anyone use one”.

So we’ve got one we lugged (because the surfaces are freaking granite) all the way home, and have no clue how to use it. Need to order a power adaptor for it, too. *sigh*. The weird things that live in your utility room.

How are you using yours?

It's more of a Swiss (both German and French-speaking areas) and French Alpine regional dish. The cheese used, which is also named Raclette, is made in Switzerland. I had to look up the granite version you mentioned. Ours is a smaller, two person home version with a metal top versus the heavy granite top. We went simple this year, but traditionally, you put the grill on the table along with boiled or steamed potatoes, cornichons (dill pickles that are gherkin-sized), various charcuterie meats (salami, ham, etc), pickled onions, and other veggies. You then put the Raclette cheese into the little trays and put them under the broiler. Anything you want to warm up can be put on top as the heating element warms it up too. We used it to also warm slices of rustic bread this year. Once the cheese is melted, you pull out your tray and pour the cheese onto whatever accompaniments you want. In the grand scheme of things, it's kind of like fondue, but instead dipping items into a pot of thin melted cheese you pour slightly firmer melted cheese onto the items on your plate. In restaurants, they have a powerful broiler that they position over a half wedge of the cheese. It even gets a bit charred and then they scrap it right out of the wedge onto your plate. I hope that made sense.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    edited January 2023
    The husband and I pulled out the Raclette Mini Grill again for the New Year. We've decided to make it our regular New Year's thing. One year we hope to actually have it in Switzerland. Granted, that may be a bad idea, as I doubt our home version will ever be as good again. LOL.

Our daughter gave us one of these for Christmas several years ago, explaining it was a German tradition. We asked her how to use it, and she stared blankly at us and said “I don’t know. I’ve never seen anyone use one”.

So we’ve got one we lugged (because the surfaces are freaking granite) all the way home, and have no clue how to use it. Need to order a power adaptor for it, too. *sigh*. The weird things that live in your utility room.

How are you using yours?

Are you sure about that? I thought European electronics can usually run fine on both 220/230 and 110v (lower voltage is fine), while US electronics meant for 110v requires a power adaptor (you don't want to plug a 110v volt device directly into 220/230v).
    It should be indicated on the device whether it runs on 220/230 and/or 110v.

• Wynterbourne
    Lietchi wrote: »

How are you using yours?

Are you sure about that? I thought European electronics can usually run fine on both 220/230 and 110v (lower voltage is fine), while US electronics meant for 110v requires a power adaptor (you don't want to plug a 110v volt device directly into 220/230v).

Ignoring the voltage, the plugs are physically different. Can't plug an HDMI into a USB port. ;-)
  • Lietchi

How are you using yours?

Ignoring the voltage, the plugs are physically different. Can't plug an HDMI into a USB port. ;-)

Well duh :wink: I wasn't talking about plugs though, I was talking about power adaptors which to me implies a change in voltage (but Spring can confirm whether she was just talking about a plug adapter, or also voltage).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    Plug prong adaptor. Theirs are big and round, ours tend to be smaller and flatter (except for things like hair dryers and such).

She’s used German appliances and electronics here with no issue, with the adaptors.

I guess I’ll have to go dig it out of the storage room and try it out. My husband is all about gherkins so that’s an automatic appeal lol.
  • Lietchi
    edited January 2023
    Definitely need a plug adaptor yeah :smile: molten cheese is soooo good, I'd say it's worth it :mrgreen: (on the other hand, trying to lose some extra lbs, it might be better to not buy a plug adaptor right away :tongue: )
  • Wynterbourne
    edited January 2023

How are you using yours?

Well duh :wink: I wasn't talking about plugs though, I was talking about power adaptors which to me implies a change in voltage (but Spring can confirm whether she was just talking about a plug adapter, or also voltage).

I think you might be confusing an adapter with a convertor. An adapter merely "adapts" the shape of the plug to fit, while a convertor "converts" the voltage to match the outlet.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member

How are you using yours?

I think you might be confusing an adapter with a convertor. An adapter merely "adapts" the shape of the plug to fit, while a convertor "converts" the voltage to match the outlet.
    I like the reasoning, but it is not how the vocabulary works in reality. Here is a nice example of that:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapter
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    A friend dropped of some local halloumi today. I have never cooked with it. It's from a local cheesemaker that makes raw milk cheese. I had a tiny taste. Not much to it. She said I should grill it or toss it in the skillet, and that's what I've heard elsewhere.

I'm not in a rush because I have a lot of other things to cook, and I still have some goat gouda and some cambozola that I haven't even opened yet in a week or so. I can't believe I have cheese in the refrigerator I haven't even OPENED much less ate it all.

So with that in mind, and since I looked at the cambozola and saw that the bacterial rind is starting to spread over the cut surface of the chunk, I think I will have cheese for dessert. I can fit a little into my calorie budget today. Wish me luck. I might go over because I love the stuff.

So I'll also ask - Your favorite thing to do with halloumi would be????????
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    @mtaratoot
    Brush with a large slice with little olive oil, hot cast iron grill pan until you get grill marks (or pan fry in a skillet if you don't have a grill pan), slice thin and add to a green salad. As halloumi is usually quite salty add something sweet to the salad such as pear slices, or halved seedless grapes, or caramelized walnuts.
  • springlering62
    Omg. Local halloumi? Technically it’s not because it’s one of those regionally protected names , but halloumi?!!!!

I discovered it in a little Lebanese rotisserie chicken restaurant in London. I had never heard of it and had no idea what it was but the name was cool so I ordered a halloumi salad.

It was topped with a giant plank of grilled halloumi. We went back the next two nights because it was so good, and it wasn’t til the third that I discovered it was cheese (!!!!) and not some kind of chicken.

Grilled, it had a meaty texture and yes, suer salty, but in a bacon-y umami salty way.

It’s divine. I buy it at Lidl or a local Persian market, skice it into small planks (I’ve never seen the chicken breast sized ones except in that London restaurant)and grill (“pan fry”) it in a dry pan. It’s got enough moisture and oils if it’s own it doesn’t need anything else.

Dice it over a salad is my favorite way to eat it, because otherwise I’d eat it straight up, and at about 800 calories for a packet, that’s just too easy to disappear in an unrequited halloumi binge.
  • mtaratoot
    @acpgee @springlering62

Thanks!

Yeah, funny you mention it's a protected name. I looked it up last night and in the USA it's a registered trademark of the Government of Cyprus. I sent a note to my friend saying it wasn't actually halloumi, but "halloumi style cheese." She had to laugh. Also, it's cow milk rather than the more traditional goat.

Yeah, there's a local dairy that makes the stuff. I suspect that if I like it and want more, my friend will keep me supplied.

I cut off a tiny chunk to taste it yesterday. Very solid texture. Very mild flavor. Yes, a bit salty, but not as salty as feta.

Since I am now "cheese wealthy," and since I had some room in my daily calorie budget, I decided to have some cheese for dessert. A week or so ago I bought some goat Gouda-style cheese" and some cambozola. I have no idea how I managed to not open any of it. Well, the cambozola needed to be opened and re-wrapped anyway. It was developing a rind on the cut face, and I wanted to let it breathe. The sell-by date was still off in the future, but still... So I opened it up and cut what looked like a big chunk, but was only an ounce. I slowly devoured it and cut another ounce. I still came in under calories, and I have 3.5 ounces left for another time. The "gouda-stlyle" cheese is vacuum wrapped; I'll dig in when the cambozola is done.

I have lots of cast iron; I may just use a skillet for the halloumi-style cheese. I did pick up a cast iron griddle that is flat on one side and has a "grill" on the other at a second hand shop early last year. I bought it for my camping/rafting stove to give me more real-estate across the two burners for things like fajitas or whatever. I haven't taken it boating yet, and I probably should get it cleaned up and ready for use. I don't think it will work on my ceramic cooktop, so cast iron it will be. If I felt really foolish, I could cut it into four-inch long pieces and put them into one of my preheated corn stick pans and broil, but I don't want to risk making a mess of those pans.

Mmmmm..... Cheese.....

]5vmlx946wczg.png

• springlering62
    I’ve been watching waaaay too much HGTV when the first thing i notice is that beautiful wooden vault.
  • mtaratoot
    Now that I'm eating some cheese again, I put it on my shopping list and explore the offerings when I go. I have found Trader Joe's has pretty good pricing on cheeses I already know I like, and I figure I'll try more. There's one they used to have but discontinued a few years ago - Toscano with chipotle. They still have a few varieties, but not this one.

So I was shopping last week and decided to get some of their Goat Milk Cheddar Style cheese. I like goat cheese. I like cheddar. This particular one won't come home with me again. It's not bad, but pretty bland, and not a really good texture. It's not very sharp; just kind of mild and rubbery. Oh well. Good thing I got a relatively small package. I may dice it and toss it into a black bean salad I made yesterday or just snack away on it until its gone. Who knows what will be next? I did also buy a goat chevre, so I bet that will be good. I think I've had that before, and I used to keep one in the fridge "just in case."
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Hubby bought a Vacharin we haven't opened yet. For him it brings back memories of when he lived in Geneva.
    nuqvyfbgcehm.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Tonight, an ounce of cranberry Wensleydale from the bits basket at WF.
    ybgbywmea0i0.jpg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited January 2023
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A friend dropped of some local halloumi today. I have never cooked with it. It's from a local cheesemaker that makes raw milk cheese. I had a tiny taste. Not much to it. She said I should grill it or toss it in the skillet, and that's what I've heard elsewhere.

I'm not in a rush because I have a lot of other things to cook, and I still have some goat gouda and some cambozola that I haven't even opened yet in a week or so. I can't believe I have cheese in the refrigerator I haven't even OPENED much less ate it all.

So with that in mind, and since I looked at the cambozola and saw that the bacterial rind is starting to spread over the cut surface of the chunk, I think I will have cheese for dessert. I can fit a little into my calorie budget today. Wish me luck. I might go over because I love the stuff.

So I'll also ask - Your favorite thing to do with halloumi would be????????

This is probably my favourite and most common use of Halloumi (partly because if I griddle it I could eat an entire block at once…). It browns in the oven on the top of some sort of vegetable bake type thing. Today’s is a mix of courgette, mushrooms and orange & yellow peppers, in a Middle Eastern style tomato base. Spices were cumin, chilli flakes, turmeric and smoked paprika. The cheese soaks up the flavour from the sauce yet gets browned and crispy on the top. Salty, chewy and delicious!

uiifgesv3mxl.jpeg
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Every year I get together with a few friends and share Epoisses de Bourgogne with freshly made bread and I paired it with a gewurztraminer. I heat it up in the wooden box and it's like having a fondue lol. It's now 7 years and counting that I do this. Cheers

95v16owy9lbm.png

🤤🤤🤤
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    joans1976 wrote: »
    Every year I get together with a few friends and share Epoisses de Bourgogne with freshly made bread and I paired it with a gewurztraminer. I heat it up in the wooden box and it's like having a fondue lol. It's now 7 years and counting that I do this. Cheers

95v16owy9lbm.png

🤤🤤🤤
    Epoisses is one of my favourite cheeses, and gewürztraminer is my favourite wine, together with Pomerol (and yes, of all things, Retsina). It would also pair very nicely with Orval (one of only about 5 surviving genuine Trappist beers) Delectable. Since all of these are off the menu for me, I am using nattou instead. It isn't quiTe the same, but the closest I have been able to get so far. I have not been able to find a good replacement for the wine, so high quality green tea has to fill that gap for now. I am guessing that something like a robust Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast tea could be good candidates, but I have never tried it.