Hi Everyone

Options
I’ve not used this app for over a year and never knew how to use the app that good.This time I’m doing a diet of high protein so I welcome any advice on what meals to eat,only veg I like is potatoes and I don’t like salads,so I definitely need so advice,Thanks in advance

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,955 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi, welcome back!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is"

For example:
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    Strongly suggest you take time to read the “stickies” at the top of each page. They provide so much useful information!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Welcome! High protein with no veggies may make it hard to meet your goals. What do you not like about veggies? I've found there are veggies I like now that I didn't like as a kid because my mom wasn't a great cook (sorry, Mom). Get adventurous! Try new things! You may find things you never thought you'd like. I'm looking at you, Zucchini!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I’ve not used this app for over a year and never knew how to use the app that good.This time I’m doing a diet of high protein so I welcome any advice on what meals to eat,only veg I like is potatoes and I don’t like salads,so I definitely need so advice,Thanks in advance

I feel you on the vegetables! I personally minimize the calorie hit as much as I can and add whatever topping I can to make them more palatable (yes, I've roasted them). I like most vegetables if they have some kind of "flavor" on them, but find plain vegetables pretty gross. Ranch, butter, cheese, hummus, guacamole, salsa, chili sauce, bacon, various spice blends, harissa....all make them go down at least a little easier. Mostly I try not to focus much on what I'm eating. In the end, I'm a grown up and grown ups eat vegetables. This grown up eats what she can manage and takes a greens supplement for the rest.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    so, if you don't like eating veggies straight up, maybe explore ways to hide them and ways you enjoy them. Do you like salsa and spaghetti sauces - those are veggie based and a great place to hide extras - try grilling/smoking some veggies on the bbq like some rough chopped sweet onion and bell peppers. chop them up, stir in an oil based marinade, lay down a bbq pan or sheet foil on the bbq, and grill on low heat after the meats - turn/stir a couple times - cook until translucent. Then put them in a blender/food choppers and pulverize - stir into salsa or spaghetti sauces or soups - you can make ahead and freeze in baggies to pull out and use later too.

spice to taste - i like adding torn cilantro, dashes of onion powder, garlic powder, blackening or cajon seasoning, italian seasoning.... other pepper blends....

i also do blends with chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, other color onions, can also pan fry when grill not available. use in other cooking... like with other meats (in shaved beef, a raw chopped onion and bell pepper cook down and almost disappear).

I like to make enough of whatever I'm cooking to use for a few days, in a few ways, and think of them veggies as accents/garnish/flavor instead of the main thing...

ksu6pb7bb7fv.jpg

4fcofh6coo3s.jpg

hh4tmjhad67z.jpg
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    for high protein meals - do you like pickles? i like some rollups - lunch meat around sliced cheese or a cheese stick, some dressing like Ranch or bleue cheese, pickled asparagus or pickle spears.... i roll a few up and use as snacks or main meat thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    To maximize your protein variety and keep things interesting, continue this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

If you don't like veggies but know you ought to eat some for best health, then yeah:

* Experiment to see if you can find some you do like
    * Try different ways of cooking them (roasting? cooking with your meat, like roasting with pot roast so they take on the meat flavor? Soups (blended) or stews? etc.)
    * Blend them into things you like. Mashed winter squash or white beans can blend invisibly into macaroni and cheese, for example. Ditto for cauliflower. Cauliflower "rice" doesn't have much flavor TBH, and some can be blended with regular rice for stir-fries or the like. Cauliflower can also be mashed in with potatoes quite invisibly.
    * Consider smoothies: You can make fruit or peanut butter powder or something like that be the dominant flavor, but blend in some veggies like carrots, zucchini, etc.
    * Look up recipes for hiding veggies from kids. They work for adults, too. (Put "hiding veggies from kids" into a web search, you'll get lots of sites with tips.)

Maybe challenge yourself to try one new veggie or way of cooking them per week or month or something? Also, sometimes it can help to commit to try a new food several times (in small portions) . . . sometimes it grows on us.

Best wishes!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    for high protein meals - do you like pickles? i like some rollups - lunch meat around sliced cheese or a cheese stick, some dressing like Ranch or bleue cheese, pickled asparagus or pickle spears.... i roll a few up and use as snacks or main meat thing.

😮 I have only in the last few months learned to like pickles, after a lifetime of dislike and avoidance.

A dill pickle in a wrap sounds amazing. I’m adding that to todays lunch wrap!

Genius!!!! Plus moist enough I can probably avoid my trifling bit of Mayo, lol.

Like @quiksylver296 i didn’t realize umtil well into adulthood that mom was a …let’s say….uninspired cook. With handicapped kids on her plate, plus some issues of her own that made junk food a priority over fresh on her very very limited grocery budget, I can understand why cooking took a back seat.

But I never knew the joys of asparagus or peas that didn’t come out of a can, or other veggies we never even tried.

Experiment!!!!!