Results on 1200 calories

Options
Hey! I wanted to hear positive stories from those that have lost weight following a 1200kcal diet. I find it strange how everyone sees it as dangerous or the cause of eating disorders. And I can google that if I need to - so only positive stories please :smile: it’s working well for me so far so I just wanted to find some similar people! I have 50lb to lose altogether ❤️

Replies

• hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm also following the 1200 diet plan and am similary interested to hear success stories, I haven't seen anything negative about the 1200 cal diet though? I think its perfectly fine if you have plenty of weight to lose & are eating a good range of healthy foods 🙂
  • Brigit42
    Brigit42 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the past I've tried 1200. I couldn't do it.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    At least once a week I have a single meal of 1,000 calories, and once a month hit 1,200 in a single meal. I always find it amazing people are satisfied with 400 calorie meals or whatnot. But if you can get enough protein, fiber and assorted micronutrients in that small a space, then good on you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    It's fine for some people. If MFP tells you that's the right amount to achieve sensibly moderate weight loss, that'll be great.

I was non-tall (5'5"), not very active outside of exercise (which I log separately and eat back), older (59) and still pretty overweight (at least 25-30 pounds when I joined, part way through losing 50-ish pounds). MFP suggested 1200 based on what should've been a sensible loss rate (it thinks I'd maintain on around 1500 + exercise calories at this point, would've been slightly more when heavier). So I ate 1200 + exercise calories, which was gross intake of 1400-1700 or so calories most days. I made it a point to get as good nutrition as feasible.

I felt great, energetic, not hungry . . . until a few weeks in, I hit a wall. I got weak and fatigued, and it took multiple weeks to feel normal after I started eating more. It's not always a question of willpower.

If 1200 is right for you, eat 1200 (not less). Do it for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual periods if that applies to you). If your weight loss rate is the sensible pace you asked for, keep going. If it's too fast for best health or too slow to be satisfying, adjust at that point.

Other people's experiences aren't going to tell you for sure what your experience will be.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's fine for some people.

Other people's experiences aren't going to tell you for sure what your experience will be.
    This

• jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and insights!
    I have a very sedentary lifestyle (am a writer, so I sit in front of my laptop the whole day, except for walking a few steps inside my home).
    And I have gluten +dairy allergy. So, I eat mostly local food which is made from fermented rice (lots of fiber, less calories), and make sure that I do not go hungry.
    I also keep sipping water through the day. Since I'm sitting at one place the whole day, it's easy to keep a mug full of water next to me and "snack" on it.
    I can't eat packaged food due to allergic response.
    My all meals are mostly steamed or boiled food and I take multivitamins.
    In the last 90 days, I have become more energetic and active and do not feel tired at all. So, I guess, my body is happy with the changed diet.
    I really appreciate everyone for their insightful comments and support, It means so much to me!
  • Brigit42
    Brigit42 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for about 9 months while I lost 50 lbs. I didn't adjust for my very little exercise (walking). It worked well for me. There were occasional splurges, but I was pretty consistent in weighing my food and tracking every bite. I've slacked off now and have gained 5 lbs back, but I'm still okay. I did not develop an eating disorder! I am healthy! 53, female. 173 lbs to 125 lbs (this am). 5' 2.5".

125 is my dream weight but that doesn't seem realistic.

I give you credit for doing 1200 calories for nine months! I don't feel satisfied on 1200 on a daily basis.