Hello

Options
I’m new to myfitnesspal and I’d really love some advice and help on how to get the full benefit from it. So any advice would be great.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

First, if you haven't yet, go to the Guided Setup and enter your relevant information to come up with an estimate of where you should start with your calorie goal. BEWARE: start slow. It's usually counter-productive to just pick a fast rate of loss. Depending how much you have to lose, even a half pound a week can be a really good goal. I lost weight a half pound a week, and it made it easier to transition to maintenance. Here's a graphical way to look at loss rates:
    What is a good rate of loss for me?
    88a4gry2xzod.jpg

That came from the "Most Helpful Posts" portion of the "Getting Stated" category. Spend some time looking through those Most Helpful Posts pinned to the top of that category.

Get a digital food scale. They are fairly cheap - under twenty bucks. Log everything you eat honestly and completely. Find a way of eating that provides nutrition and keeps you full. Stick to it. If you have a bad day, don't give up. Just get started again immediately.

Don't think of this as a short-term change. Build new habits that will serve you for the rest of your life. That's why it's good to go slow.

If you eat it, log it. There's no "cheat." Your body will know if you ate it, so be honest with yourself. You can succeed eating pizza and even chocolate as long as you keep your calorie intake, on average, less than you expend. Your calorie budget will already have a deficit in it, so even if you go a little over that, you likely will still have a deficit and lose weight, although it will be slower. Even a day that is way over won't sabotage your goals, just set them back a bit. The only thing that will sabotage your goals is if you give up, so STICK TO IT!

• 6rhgprh7pz
    6rhgprh7pz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so so much. That was really helpful
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,070 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is"

For example:
  • IronBread
    IronBread Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome!

Log EVERYTHING. Stay under your total caloric count. Theres a section with great tasting meals and desserts for you to try. Commit to this and remember, the reward is revealed over time. This is your time. Capture it!!